Have you ever bought electronics from Chinese online shops

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by PubD • Nov 4, 2012.

1. Caprio

CaprioMember

Threads:
    Never bought anything before, but i have been made to believe that in China, there is everything for everyone. Your Price Your Quality. Don't know much

2. Melvin

MelvinNew Member

Threads:
    I usually buy in bulk from sites like DHgate simply because they have escrow. They basically hold your money until the seller delivers. You get to pay the seller if it meets your expectations, so the entire order process is worry free. To be honest, you might not get high quality things from them since they don't go through the same quality-control as other big ticket name brands. On some occasions, you might be lucky to find a really good supplier who has the best of the best. When you do, consider it a gift, and keep in contact with that person.

I never really bought stuff from other websites unless they have escrow as a payment system because I'm scared they'll just take my money and run.

3. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought electronic gadgets from China. But I do buy some bits and pieces from them like batteries, electric sockets, and such. If it's something like phones, tablets, electric appliances and such, I prefer buying from the major sellers.

4. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I agree on this as well. I gave their shops a chance before and I ended up being very disappointed.
    Therefore it is in your best interest to stick to your gut feelings and look elsewhere if you want to purchase something that will last you more than a few weeks.
    I just was not impressed with the quality at all and I am pretty sure I will not be buying from them again.

5. barankai

barankaiNew Member

Threads:
    Different experiences. Some work other not. No guarantee.

Chinese on ebay mostly work well. Also minor accessories from Chinese online shops supposed you are familiar with techspecs. Tablets, phones etc. not so good but actually cheap. Low quality or no support, no updates or you have to be able reflash, fix, etc. etc. The adapters instead of a proper plug is a poor business as well. Most don't maintain a return adress at all, some try to help (e.g. Banggoods) some others do not reply at all (SmartQ) or what's more are arrogant and capture your money even if no delivery (Teclast - crooks). Avoid them. Based on my experience I never would input my card data and even if Paypal keep in mind the 45 days you can open a dispute.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Not electronics, but I have purchased some other items through sites such as Alibaba, only to find out the products were not genuine and that they were knock offs. I wouldn't recommend it personally. In fact, one of my shipments didn't even come through 100%, they were missing several items and they will not refund me my money - it's been over a year of arguing with them.

7. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, i did. Which reminds me, when i was in my last year of highschool, me and my buddies would have a thing that every month we ordered something random to one another from a chinese store, so we got all these kinds of strange things, it was pretty funny. Stuff like USB devices to lighters, what surprised me is that they worked super good.

8. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't believe I have ever bought anything from an electronic online chinese store specifically, but I have bought electronics from the more popular sites when I was visiting my family back in China last year. It is called Taobao, and it is basically the same as eBay, but Chinese instead. I received my keyboard pretty late, most likely a week after the estimated time of arrival, but it came packaged, and working well. I originally tested it out on my laptop to see if it was functioning or not, and fortunately for me, it was. I also ordered my mouse on Taobao as well, and it is still functioning properly.

9. saveraddict

saveraddictMember

Threads:
    If you do your homework I recommend them. I used Alibaba like someone above, but my experience was good. But you have to do your research to avoid being scammed. I have no relation to Alibaba, and cannot vouch for its overall credibility, maybe I was lucky. I would suggest you do three things:

1. Research the site. If you see too many scam warnings avoid it. Ignore any glowing reports you see, these are mostly posters from the company itself (Chinese companies do that).
    2. Research the exact model you are buying. These sites sell as many models as they can, and do zero research on their quality. "Buyer beware" is a respected tactic in China I guess. The very cheapest models are almost always worthless but you can still get great deals on the not-so-cheap ones.
    3. ALWAYS pay with PayPal. And be sure to open a dispute by PayPal's deadline if you have problems or don't receive the goods. PayPal is on your side, and these sites know that.

Follow these guidelines and you should be OK. If money is tight these make a lot of sense, and you will get much better hardware for the same dollars.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What brand of tablet did you buy? I read that generic or unbranded tablets are really a piece of crap. But lots of people say that Ainol is a good brand.

11. darelle4

darelle4Member

Threads:
    I once bought a digital camera from a seller from china and I though I would never receive the camera because it took so long to arrive and there was lack of communication as well so i had to send some serious messages and the seller shipped another camera and it came to my country very fast.

12. saveraddict

saveraddictMember

Threads:
    I forgot to mention it in my previous post, but if you buy from a site with global free shipping be prepared for a VERY long wait. I am talking for at least a month, maybe more. Apparently there is some sort of very cheap shipping in China, probably not even by plane, and that is what they all use for their free option. You have to get upgraded shipping, which typically costs a lot, if you need the item fast. The system works but it is definitely NOT as fast as buying from Amazon.

13. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I myself have not purchased a product of a Chinese online shop. Although I do have a cousin who has purchased an iPhone from an online Chinese shop. I do not recommend anyone to ever purchase anything from an online Chinese shop. Almost everything they sell on online Chinese shops are fake.

14. Cindy16

Cindy16Banned

Threads:
    Hi PubD, I would suggest you checking online shop reviews first if you are doubtful about the shop. There are many review sites there that are reliable and are not bias. Try ResellerRating, Trust Pilot or Start Buying in China dot com.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a negative attitude towards Chinese products. I've heard word from friends who bought cheap Chinese phones and they regretted having spend money on the phones a few months down the line. I wouldn't risk it be it buying from an online store or a real brick and mortar store.

16. Cindy16

Cindy16Banned

Threads:
    Yes, I agree with you! It's getting less for less.. That simple.

17. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I would say it depends on the quality of the item , I order off of ebay a lot from china and I never had a problem with it. I think you should try ordering from ebay this way if your item is not as you want it . You have the option to send it back and get your refund. But always remember where ever you order get an item with warrant. But Ebay has places all over the world, I haven't had an bad experience yet. I just got a laptop for Christmas from china and it works great. Do your research and look for reviews really important

18. jriley

jrileyNew Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't do it. How much is shipping...?