Have You Ever Bought Fabric At Walmart?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • May 12, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The store nearest me stopped having a Fabric section, but there's another one that I get to once in a while that has fabric. A lot of it is just cheap stuff, which is fine for certain things. I used to buy a lot of it when the kids were little for costumes, doll clothes, or even a cute little sundress or something.

They don't have a big selection of super nice fabric, but I can get that elsewhere. Still, they will occasionally have decent fabric at a reasonable price, so I usually give it a look. I've picked up some fabric at Walmart. Have you?

2. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    The only ever fabric I ever bought at walmart was that crafty fur fabric for sewing teddy bears! It only came in dark brown or white, and the fur was pretty long, but it was actually the only place I found who hold this kind of stuff. Probably now I could find some online, though.

3. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    I have bought some fabric and colored threading at Walmart for a friend. Against my expectations, it held up better than I expected it to for the cheap price point, considering Walmart's reputation. It was made into a blanket a few years back, and has not torn or discolored majorly yet. Then again, it may be just the particular Walmart I visited that held up.

4. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    For things that are going to have hard use, most of the walmart fabric doesn't appear to be high enough quality to hold up but I like it for things that aren't really seen (like the inside layers of cloth pads). I also love their fleece fabrics. I use them to make pillow cases and even extra blankets in the winter. Then, because it was so inexpensive, I toss it them at the end of the season so I don't need to store them.

5. IrishHeather

IrishHeatherMember

Threads:
    I actually buy almost all my fabric from wal-mart, as I live in a small town and its the only store for 50 miles that sells fabric. The quality is actually pretty comparable to its big name competitors. The only problems I run into is finding specialty fabric and finding a customer service member to actually come to the department to cut the fabric. But other than that...its not all that bad!

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never really had a problem so far. Most of the stuff I picked up has been pretty decent, especially for the uses I needed it for. I used to make all my kids' costumes, and I'd make little skirts or dresses for special occasions like making sundresses with stars and stripes for Fourth of July.

Wow, really, you just throw away fleece blankets and pillow cases after a season has passed? Might I suggest donating them to Salvation Army or Goodwill or something, so that less fortunate people can make use of them if you don't want them?

7. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I donate clothes and household items that are in good condition to those places. My quickly sewn blankets made from cheap fleece are usually in bad condition (stained and/or ripped) by the time they hit the trash. My sewing skills pretty much suck AND we abuse them. I worked at a salvation army store when I was in college. You would be amazed at the things that are donated but just end up in the trash anyway. The animal shelters will take poor condition fleece because they don't care about stains or minor tears BUT they want donations of that in the fall, not the spring. I don't want to store it for the summer either so it goes in the trash.

8. dawnolsen

dawnolsenMember

Threads:
    I like to get fabric for pillow cases and curtains at Walmart. I can usually find the color or pattern I like and it is a little bit cheaper than the specialty fabric stores. If i have a clothing project I will go to a specialty fabric store and pay the price. Walmart is also a lot closer to me so if I don't have to make a long drive, I wont.

9. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    I have gotten fleece like or flannel material there before to make simple or tie blankets and have also gotten some cheap fabric for curtains. I found some pretty neat patterns even if they were kind of cheesy. It's not usually the best quality but it's easy on the pocket book.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find the fabric at Walmart more suited to crafts than clothes. I've bought fabric there to make throw pillows but I don't think the fabric there is nice enough to make clothes out of. Unless you want to wear a dress made out of poly cotton fabric with an allover print of Dora the Explorer on it.

11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got some fabric on clearance there for a DIY project. I was recovering an ottoman that had gotten damaged. The fabric was nice, and the price was definitely right. I still have it, although I need to re-do the DIY. I borrowed an old hammer gun to do it, and I think I need a better working gun to actually secure the nails, but that's beside the point. When I get a better gun, I'll keep the same fabric, and just secure it better.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My local Walmart no longer carries the fabrics which I do miss. The fabric was good for crafts and a quick out fit that was only meant to last for a short period of time like a quick summer dress that you know you will not wear next season. I miss have that choice available to me when I need some material. There are not many stores around now to get fabric from.

13. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have not, but I have heard mixed reviews of the quality of their fabric. I really prefer Denver fabric online.

14. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of Denver Fabric, I'll have to look into them. I don't buy much fabric actually, but I do buy quite a few crafting supplies and yarn/thread, so am always interested in new sources.

When I'm looking for higher quality products or a better selection of fabrics and/or crafting supplies, I go to Hancock Fabrics, Joann Fabric & Crafts (or whatever it's called), and Hobby Lobby, or shop online. With Fabric, I've found it's better to shop in person, so I can feel and see the actual products, but with thread and yarn, knowing the size/weight and company will usually suffice, since I'm more familiar with the products already.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Most of our Walmarts no longer have a fabric section.

Back when they did, though, the quality was okay for small projects where cheap fabric was sufficient.

I especially liked getting scrap bundles there.

16. Adrianna

AdriannaNew Member

Threads:
    You know what I have and they can often have a pretty good selection. I have made curtains with fabric from Walmart. Kmart is good too. I don't remember which one it was but I got a jacket and skirt that was made their in that department that was on sale. I was a sample or something. It was so cheap and gorgeous. It was this pink tweed with the fringe edge. It fit like a glove.

17. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    I buy fabric at wal-mart for simple projects like aprons or summer shorts for my kids, but that's it. My local wal-mart has cut back their fabric selection a lot, so there's not as much to choose from as before. They still are the best place locally to buy notions and other craft supplies, though.