Have you ever bought or sold on Craigslist?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by SEA81 • May 19, 2012.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here are some articles about murders where the victims were found through Craigslist. Craiglist isn't all cotton candy and rainbows.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A friend of mine bought some exercise equipment on Craigslist that looked okay. I don't use Craigslist for anything except the apartment ads. I can see the appeal of selling big items on there that you can't ship, but I don't have anything big to sell, so eBay works for me.

3. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    Just because I've heard so much negative stuff about what's been happening to people getting scammed, robbed etc I don't use it. I'm a bit paranoid that way. My friend uses facebook as her medium of advertising items instead of craigslist and it's working well for her. You are also at least assured that someone you know can in fact vouch for the person who will buy from you. She just shares photos of the items she wants to sell and that appears on the pages of her friends too so each post can reach hundreds of people. Good luck.

4. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I also quality as being someone who has received free samples and things from this program but I never sold anything on it. I have had many friends who complained of having people who scam and they just closed their account because of this.
    I rather stay on safe programs such as poshmark where I can't be scammed.

5. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    You just have to be careful to who contacts you or tries to buy your products. Aside from that, i don't think that you should worry that much when selling on Craigslist or in another selling website.

6. crazycroc

crazycrocMember

Threads:
    I've sold a few old electronics items on CL, usually just meet them in a public place like the subway station or Tim Horton's.

7. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    My sister has bought and sold quite a bit on Craigslist, and has had a high success rate on both ends. What she does live by, though, is as soon as a buyer or seller seems to be even just a little bit off-base (won't talk over the phone, strange address, avoids details, etc.), she moves on to the next person. My husband and I tried to find an apartment on Craigslist, and all we ran into were scams! They were so obviously scams, thankfully, so we never lost any of our information or money. I think it is great for small ticket items, and more along the lines of an online garage sale.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Quite obviously on Craiglist you'll come across scams and legit stuff.

I have used Craiglist in the past to get freelance work. Each time I got paid. So the ad posters were genuinely seeking freelancers. To be on the safe side if you''re selling things on Craiglist it would be best to be a middleman. That way you won't have to deal with clients directly or deal specifically in digital products where there's no [need for] contact between you and the buyer.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Craigslist is the one place online I don't trust, no matter what. I'm sure i could navigate my way through the scams and do just as well as any other site, but something about it makes me not waste my time. Maybe how cheaply done the site is.. looks like a kid threw it together. I don't know.. the overall feel of it is just shady to me lol.

10. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't because there are just so many dodgy people on the site, my brother has bought a phone from someone on the site and when he went to meet the bloke it turned out the item wasn't even a real phone and my brother refused to pay and went home.

11. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have sold many things on craigslist and I was happy with my experience. Didn't take long for someone to call or text about my items and didn't take long to sell either. I got exactly what I was asking for. You do have to be careful to avoid scams but scams are usually easy to detect if it sounds too good too be true it probably is lol

12. jazzalazz

jazzalazzMember

Threads:
    My dad has sold a few cars with craigslist and I found my last car using craigslist. It was a nice, reliable car. Most people on criagslist are honest people just trying to sell their extra stuff for some money, but then there are those that are looking to scam you out of your money. Always be careful of what you are buying and meet in a public, well lit area if possible.

13. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    I have sold on craigslist and every time has been without any drama. I once sold an item to a man who lived two states away. He paid me with paypal and even added more than enough for shipping. He called me as soon as he paid me, and when I checked my account, the money was there. I hurried up to put the item in the mail, because I didn't want him to think that I was going to scam him! I agree that if you are going to meet in person, then do it in a very public place.

14. writeletters

writelettersMember

Threads:
    I have never used it personally, but I've heard a lot about it. People can scam you on Craigslist, so personally I wouldn't advise using it. I don't know how it works though. To be honest, I'd just go for a safer option such as eBay.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just Google "Craigslist Killer". There was even a movie about it. On a unrelated crime, in Florida, a man tried to buy an Xbox 360 on Craigslist and got robbed at gunpoint.

Even with the risks, I'm still considering it because I have some items around the apartment to sell that are too big and bulky to sell on eBay because the shipping costs would be prohibitive.
    There's an ebay seller on Youtube that recommends Craigslist for selling your dumpster dive finds or leftover yard sale items.

16. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    I buy from Craigslist occasionally and have sold a few things. One of the major things I can recommended is to meet in a public place if at all possible. I normally buy games or electronics so I don't think this would work for bigger items like furniture. If you are selling things, make sure you are not alone, other than that I'm not sure what to recommend, bring someone with you always.

17. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I have used Craigslist quiet a few times. Mostly to list junk for free but I recently found my newest dog, Bella for free on craigslist. I have sold a few things, like a headboard and some knitting stuff that I never learned to use properly. I have never have a problem but we live in a pretty small town. I think if I lived in a big city I would be a bit more leery. If you are not comfortable you can always meet the buyers in public place like Walmart parking lot or a park that has plenty of people in it.

The biggest problem I have ever had on craigslist is spammers. They find your post and then email you with the subject line something that relates to your post so you think it's someone asking a question but really they are trying to sell you something or they send you a link that if you open it, you might just get a computer virus. Go with your gut when dealing with emails, if it looks at all suspicious, don't even open it just delete it right away.

18. Happy247

Happy247Member

Threads:
    I haven't sold anything yet on craigslist, though I plan to in the near future but I have bought plenty of things. I was so afraid at first. lol I just laugh about it now because that was so ridiculous. But I always heard these crazy stories about people and their bad craigslist experiences. Once it did it the first time, it was a piece of cake. I contact the person who has what I want. We agree on a price and a public meeting place and I never go alone. And I always let a third person know where I'm going just in case. The exchange happens pretty quickly then I'm headed back home.

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have purchased a few items on Craigslist without a problem. Lately I have been seeing some really weird people creating listings on Craigslist, one was a 2005 car for $2500, the person claimed the car was in storage in Ohio ready to be shipped and all I needed to do was send them some money. Another was a lady that has a room for rent in her house but she did not want to give out the address of the house but she wanted to set an appointment to view the apartment for rent, she would give out the address the day of the appointment. Would you say crazy.

20. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never sold anything on Craigslist because I only respond to want ads and no one wants my stuff. I'm not the advertising type. Craigslist is where I got my dog though and I couldn't imagine my life without her.
    You definitely should meet up with the person no matter what you are buying or selling.