Have you ever bought or sold on Craigslist?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by SEA81 • May 19, 2012.

1. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    My sister and I both use Craigslist all the time and have not had any issues. I personally prefer to meet in a public place, but have had sales in front of my job and a home few and far between. As far as safety issues go, I'm sure bad things happen, but I'm also sure it's rare compared to how many transactions happen through Craigslist. Be smart and be sure to have somebody with you if a stranger is coming to your house.

2. Misslisa

MisslisaMember

Threads:
    I don't like the idea of buying or selling on Craigslist because these days it is just too dangerous. I have bought on the site before, and my husband went with me to a very nice neighborhood to pick up the coach that we bought. We tried to communicate with per person selling the coach several times before meeting, and we payed attention to the surrounding area, and all details of the transaction. You can never be too careful!

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have bought off Craiglist before but haven't really sold anything yet. I tried selling a set of tickets but the guy who was supposed to purchase them never showed up. I was set to meet him in a public place so I wasn't really concerned about risk as much.

4. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I sell a lot of things on Craigslist and have great luck. There are two important things to remember when selling on Craigslist. The first rule is to always meet somewhere at a public places whether it's a Burger King parking lot, your local library or even a busy park. The second piece of advice is to only accept cash. So many people are ripped off by accepting checks that are not even legit.

5. broadwaybabyss

broadwaybabyssNew Member

Threads:
    I would really like to buy a car and I'm still in school so Craigslist seems like a viable option, but I am afraid that I will buy a car that's not safe or not actually a viable option for a day to day car. Has anyone made any significant purchases like a car from Craigslist?

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have bought cars from Craigslist before. I think, like just about anywhere that you buy a car; it is a "buyer beware" type of situation.
    Since no one regulates what is being claimed about a vehicle on Craigslist; it is easier for someone to lie to you than it would be for an ad placed by a car sales company. Although they can sure mislead you about their vehicles, too !
    Unless you have enough money to pay cash for the car (which usually means a cheaper car), buying from a sales lot where you can finance a better car might work out best. If you buy from a private party on Craigslist, you will have to pay cash for the car, and uually that means no checks, or anything except cash.
    And, there-in lies the danger with vehicles on Craigslist. Since you will be meeting someone you don't know and carrying a large amount of cash, this is when people are likely to be robbed. So, meeting in a very public place is important , especially when cash is involved.

7. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Well, in my experience I've never been scammed on craigslist. You really just have to know who your receiving offers from and deciding who are the real buyers and who are the scammers. There are a lot of scammers out there but if your careful you'll avoid them. First and number one rule is cash only and they must pick up. Don't send your money or your items anywhere because if the buyer really wants it, they'll come get it. Been doing this for 2 years now and haven't ran into one scammer yet. Just be careful of whose emailing you, you'll be able to tell those that are legitimate to those who are scammers.

8. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    I don't think I've ever actually bought anything off craigslist but I have sold a ton of things on there! I'd say the only frustrating part is that you have to deal with a lot of flakes; people will say they're interested and then you never hear from them again or last minute they dot want to pay what they originally said they would or whatever. It's nice because you don't have to worry about shipping and things getting lost and it's immediate cash in hand.

9. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Here in Canada Kiijiji is way more popular then craigslist.
    I have sold/bought at least 100 things, and only had 1 bad experience where I got scammed.
    Now the police are starting to make "Safe zones" in the parking lots of police stations where you can meetup with craigslist/kijiji people and do your deal in a safe and secure environment.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've sold services on Craiglist which is quite unlike selling physical goods/items and I'd say it's as good as, if not better than, many other marketplaces online because it didn't cost me a penny to post ads on the site. When selling anything physical you'll need to be very careful. Have the interested buyer pick up the items you are selling at a public place.
    The last thing you want to buy on Craiglist is a car. It's very easy to get scammed.

11. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    Craigslist is good if you know how to use it. Selling and buying from CL is just like through any online retailer or second hand store. Buyer and Seller beware. If you are selling, the only form of money you should receive is cash or a money order from a confirmed legitimate source. If you are buying I would suggest a money order. Inspect your items well and pay attention to people trying to distract you while viewing them. Remember your playing a game of chess, you are the king/queen and the others are just a bunch of pawns. Think clearly and make wise decisions. Best of luck.

12. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I have sold a car and a washer and dryer on Craigslist. I recommend for safety reasons, when selling an item, meet in a public place, and avoid going by yourself. My husband and I were together when we made the transactions. Meeting in a public place prevents people from knowing where you live, especially if they have a problem with the otem after they purchase it. Also, when people contact you about buying the item you are selling, if they seem shady, simply do not respond. Only respond to buyers who seem legitimately interested in purchasing the item.

13. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I got free carpeting, nice and new. They wanted me to haul off their scraps too. No problem, glad to do it. We've bought a car, and mower, and weed eater,... Great deals. Gotta love craigslist!

14. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I have never bought or sold anything on craiglist. If I have to buy, I go to ebay or Amazon. On Ebay I always buy things from the certified seller with good reputation. Actually, I have never done anything on craiglist. I even don't know if it is possible to buy and sell on craiglist from my location. They say you can find jobs at craiglish, however, I have not checked it yet.

15. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I actually never had a problem with selling on craigslist, I was skeptical at first when I did it because I never knew what to expect.

I've actually only sold cell phones that I did not want anymore, quite a few now that I think about it. I did get scammed one time thought when I purchased a smart phone for Sprint services. Once you buy something, you should expect to never hear from the seller again.

The phone I was was told it was stolen, it could not be activated. That was a $75 dollar loss on my end. I did not care though because I knew what I was getting myself into.

Some people are just like that, they don't care about you, just the money.

16. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I buy and sell things on Craigslist all the time. Just make sure you always meet in a public place and only take cash as payment (super important!). Really as long as you do those two things, it's virtually impossible for you to get ripped off or scammed in any way. Plus, Craigslist is free so it doesn't cut into your profit!