Have You Ever Given Or Received Cash As A Gift?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by sidney • Mar 27, 2014.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not really sure if people would consider giving cash as a gift, but I don't see anything wrong with it. However, some people think that it's a gift that's not well-thought of. If you ask me, I really don't mind giving or receiving cash, although there was a time when the recipient seems to be complaining that I gave an amount that was below her standards. I was the one who picked her name on the exchange gift list. We were still both in high school that time, so she shouldn't be so picky since we were not working yet that time.

So anyway, back to the topic. Have you ever given or received cash as a gift? If not, will you ever try giving cash as a gift or you prefer to actually give a certain item?

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I mostly got cash as gifts from family members after a certain age. If it was from a friend it would feel inappropriate, probably because I would like it if friends knew my interests. From aunts, uncles and parents I actually wanted cash. But personally, I would not give anyone cash as a gift because I would want them to feel special by giving them something more personal.

3. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My parents and my parents-in-law always give us on birthdays and Christmas money as a gift. I think those are the best gifts because in fact we just need money to cover our day-to-day expenses and our parents are aware of that, so that's what they give us.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I have received most of my gifts as cash. Although I buy presents mostly. Gift cards seem to be a socially acceptable alternative to cold hard cash. If you are struggling with what to buy, and you don't want to give cash then gift cards will never be frowned upon.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Of course I have. I've both given and received it.

Sure, sometimes it's impersonal and I would prefer to give or receive a personalized gift instead. Other times, though, the money is more appreciated because then the person can put the money together and buy something they really want. I think personalized gifts are more relevant for adults who may be in different financial brackets. For example, I wouldn't give a family friend of ours $50 because he has plenty of money already and that's a drop in the bucket for him. He would truly appreciate a handmade gift or home cooked meal in comparison, though.

6. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I think the way to go is to give cash this way the person can purchase whatever they like if your uncertain what they would like. I think the best thing also that could have came out was that of the use of gift cards. I think gift cards are great to give i still consider as a form of cash also.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All the time! My family has a (great!) habit of giving money as a gift on Christmas and birthdays. I personally love it because you can buy whatever you want, save up if you wish to, or even put it all together to buy a bigger gift. For example this year on my birthday I got a pretty good amount from my grandmas, my mom and aunt, so I got a Smart TV and a new coffee machine with that money! It's far better than getting things you didn't pick and some you won't even wear or use.

8. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely, I give cash cards as gift especially during the rush holiday season because its really convenient and less tedious. I don't have to worry what or where to buy.
    I also love receiving cash gifts because I got to choose what I want to buy. As of the moment there are no negative feed backs regarding my giving of cash as a gift and they all seem to love it.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Really? That's so thoughtful of you. I would actually appreciate more if a friend would give me cash, because my family says that I'm the type of person that can be difficult to gift. It's true though. ;)

10. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I don't give cash as a gift very often, but I will every once in a while when I have absolutely no idea what to get them. However, every year for Christmas and for my birthday I get a couple people that give me cash for my birthday. Honestly, I prefer getting cash that way I can spend it on whatever I want :)

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's actually nice when you get to receive a cash gift instead of material gifts, because when you receive a cash gift, you can spend it on whatever you like and for sure you will appreciate it, as compared to receiving material gifts, you might not end up liking what you have just received. And it would also avoid the person not liking our gift at all, right?

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think a cash gift is just as good as any other gift, if not better. You get to spend the money on what you really need or want. I often get tired around that whole money stigma. For some it's like a religious experience when it comes to money. To me personally, it's only another key that opens doors. I only give money gifts to people who can actually accept it without any suspicions or feelings or an overwhelming need to reciprocate in some way.

13. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I don't get cash gifts much anymore. If anything, it's an Amazon gift card, or something like that. That being said, I always gift $$ for a wedding gift and we received a lot of $$ for ours.

14. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. Even if the person is your friend, you may still not know what to get them. They could be hard to shop for or you may not be sure if they already have certain things.
    Sometimes it's nice to get something other than cash though because you may get something you never thought of. I misplaced it at the moment sadly but last Christmas my mom got me a battery charger for my devices. I didn't even know they made a charger that runs by batteries.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've given cash gifts to youngish people more than once. I remember promising a certain kid I'd get him something because he'd helped me with some work but after realizing that he liked ice cream a lot, what I did was hand him some dough and told him that was for his ice cream.

For other people, however, I don't think I'd hand them cash as a gift because they could misread my motives and send the money right back.

16. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I've never given cash as a gift, but have received it several times, and was quite happy as the recipient. That way I can truly spend it on whatever I want. I admit that a lot of it goes towards bills, but sometimes a bill just has to be paid, and the money does come in handy. I have been given quite a few gifts over the years that I did not particularly like and would have preferred cash. But I didn't want to be rude or unappreciative, so I just smiled and thanked the person and hoped for the best next time.

#16May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  17. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I have received cash plenty of times as a gift. If it wasn't cash, it was a visa gift card. Growing up as a child, my mom would ask me what I want for Christmas or my Birthday. If I wasn't sure on what I want, I would just tell her to give me cash instead.

18. pklatonja

pklatonjaNew Member

Threads:
    I almost exclusively get cash as a gift. But I like it that way, it's better than receiving several small cheap gifts, this way I buy one gift that I really want and costs a lot money, and I can not afford it without other people helping me.

19. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to buy an actual gift, but I don't always find something that catches my eye and I find appropriate for the recipient. In those instances I give cash, I don't even do a Visa or Amex gift card because I don't want them to have to deal with activating it or keeping track of the balance. I will also give cash if I know that is what the recipient wants.

20. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    thast a great question

thats a really good question1 i think some stuck up/snobbish people would say that cash is a tacky gift but for me...i don't mind it at all! hey if you don't know what you get me, why not give me money so i can buy something i'll actually like!