Have you ever had your body fat properly tested?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Lostvalleyguy • Jun 7, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I am not talking about calculating your BMI here, I mean a real test. The two standards I know of are the caliper test or the total immersion test. Both methods are probably good but I wouldn't be surprised it the results varied from each other. When it comes to fitness, it is nice to have some concrete numbers to measure the extent of your success. I have debated getting a test in order to set a goal. The cost can be a bit much and the availability of these tests varies from location to location.

Have you ever had an accurate test done? Would you consider getting one?

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    What is it that has to be tested in fat? The percentage of it in my body weight and the weight itself? Or what? I am quite confused. Do fats really have to be tested if they have disease, or could there be something in fats that indicates such? It's making me curious.

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    It's been years since I've gotten my BMI properly tested. I don't think since high school have I had an actual test done. I do agree that the online tests aren't that accurate, especially tests that just ask you for your height and weight and then give you your BMI. There's so many other factors that go into BMI and those sort of tests give such an inaccurate results.

Where's a place you can get a test done?

4. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    To 003: An accurate fat test will tell you the percentage body fat you have on your body. It is not a medical test and doesn't reveal any disease. The usual calculation of BMI is a useful number in determining if someone might be underweight or obese but it doesn't take into account muscle density. Two people with identical BMI numbers can have very different bodies if one person is muscular (lean, dense and heavy) and the other is fat (fat, low density, and heavy). The tests will determine the percentage and can also reveal where in the body the fat lies. It is possible for someone beginning a weight training regime to maintain the same BMI while reducing the body fat percentage. This can be discouraging if they are only focused on the BMI number.

BMI doesn't require a lot of information: Here is a link to a calculator if you want to know your own BMI.

#4Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014