Have You Ever Heard Of Bagnet?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Working Buck • Oct 3, 2016.

1. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    If you like eating pork, then you need to try this. It's a big chunk of pork, usually half pound pork. It's boiled with some spices, dried overnight, and deep fried twice the following day. Bagnet is the result. That's what we call it in our place. The difference of bagnet with other variety of fried pork is even if you leave it on the table. It's texture would always stay the same. It will not get chewy and will not spoil quickly. It's a great way to preserve pork.

2. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't eat pork. Can I try this with another kind of meat instead? What about boiling chicken or goat meat with spices and then leaving it to dry over night and the frying it the following day?

3. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    It might work, the only problem is that you need a considerable amount of fat in your meat to achieve the texture and consistency you want. Probably frying a meat in lard from swine is good combine other meats and spices because this add that special flavor in meats from the Glutamic and Aspartic acid you find in pork. But you gave me a pretty good idea on that. I think I might try this at home. I'm actually researching different techniques in preserving all kinds of meat. Thanks for the idea!

4. Working Buck

Threads:
    I have not tried it with other meat. But I guess goat meat will do, but it will not taste the same. Try boiling the meat with water and a few cups of soy sauce. Put some black pepper and garlic too. Dry it overnight and deep fry it twice. Hope of hearing from you once you have tried it. Oh and I almost forgot. Try putting lots of ginger when boiling the goat meat.

5. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Problem with Goat meat is that it's too gamy. The only way you could avoid this is to use a kid meat (Young goat). Or probably substitute with Beef. The next problem would be the texture because goat meats are so much different from pork and it contains a lot of grains which makes frying the meat causes the strands to compress and becomes rubbery and hard, might as well make some smoked jerky out of it, instead of deep frying them twice. Anyway, this is just my assumption based on my experience with goat meat.

6. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I am use to pork meat but I haven't heard of Bagnet. Interesting how it is made from the popularly pork meat. From your description of how it is produced, I am guessing it's going to be a great meal. I am more into the actual pork, though I haven't taken the meat for some years now for personal reasons I wouldn't mind giving bagnet a try.

7. Working Buck

Threads:
    True, goat meat is quite hard to cook. I prefer beef than goat meat. And it has a different smell and taste from beef.

8. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Yep. The only outcome I can think of it right now if you are going to cook beef is crispy beef jerky. :D However, you know how expensive beef is now in the market compared to Swine. I would recommend though that you try black swine meats, most specially the organic ones. You know people these days, even though the meat are expensive they would still go to the organic variants. I know someone who sell black swine meats here in our area for a much cheaper price than of commercially fed pigs. I like the taste and the texture of this kind of swine, for me it's perfect for roasting, drying, and frying. You can never tell, you might be able to make your original recipe of Bagnet out of this :D

9. Working Buck

Threads:
    Are you talking about the berkshire swine? Or the wild boar? If it is the berkshire and they sell it cheap, I might buy some of those swines. I wanted to raise those kind.

10. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I was referring to the native hybrid pigs. It's actually a cross bet. native and wild boars.

11. Working Buck

Threads:
    You have an Idea how much a whole pig of these kind costs? I have eaten wild boars before and they really do taste awesome compared to the normal swine I get to buy in the market. If they cost cheaper. I might consider breeding them.

12. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, it depends on the weight of the pig. Here, they don't sell them live. However, our neighbor said that he got a live pair of piglets for just 1.5K PHP.

13. Working Buck

Threads:
    they cost Php1500 per piglet or is that a price for a pair? I really wanted Berkshire pigs but aside from the high price tag, they are not available here. So maybe the swines you are talking about might be quite close.

14. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it's quite similar to those pot-bellied pigs but the one we have here is a cross breed. Yeah, it cost only just 1.5k a pair.

15. Working Buck

Threads:
    WOW! They do not cost a lot compared to Berkshires. I do hope they taste a lot better than wild boars though. I they do, there is a really big market for these swines. If it's okay with you, may I ask where can I buy these pigs? Just send me a private message for the info. Thanks a lot in advance.

16. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have heard of bagnet. In fact, I have tasted it already, because a friend of mine's province is in Ilocos, so they bring a lot of that stuff when they go home again to Manila. It doesn't taste any different from liempo I think.

17. Working Buck

Threads:
    It does taste quite like liempo if it hasn't aged much, I do like it when it's all dried up. It tends to seal in the flavor of the pork. And I think it depends on the process they did with it before it was cooked.

18. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    I like my bagnet to be as fresh as could be expected under the circumstances. Twofold singing is the strategy that we are utilizing to get it going. The pork tummy is initially bubbled until delicate then rotisserie twice to achieve the additional firm surface. I likewise rub a some salt everywhere throughout the pork before broiling it to include some flavor.

While profound broiling sounds sufficiently simple for anybody to do, I need to remind you to play it safe. Hot oil splatters when consolidated with fluid. Since the pork stomach is not absolutely dry when fricasseed, the oil can respond rapidly and go insane. Ensure that you utilize long tongs to handle the pork and cover the cooking pot with a splatter screen to control the oil.

19. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Yes definitely heard of it and tasted it many times and I really love it! It's in one of my top list most favorite food and will always want to eat one. Although I can't aside from the fact that it is high in cholesterol, it's also a bit pricey compared to normal pork, not to mention we can only get it in a specific province which is an 8 hour drive from our place.