Have you ever lost or had a credit card stolen before?

Discussion in Credit Cards started by Belindafierce • Sep 21, 2012.

1. Belindafierce

BelindafierceMember

Threads:
    I felt this was the appropriate place to post this thread. I lost my credit card for the first time during my trip to San Francisco early this year. I remember beating myself up pretty bad for doing this, as I felt completely irresponsible for losing it in such a public place. Of course, I had it replaced days later and it hasn't happened again since.

Have you ever lost a credit card or had it stolen before? Explain. :)

2. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I had my wallet stolen in Vegas once. I did flip out a little bit, but managed to get to my room and look up my credit card info so I could get them cancelled ASAP. Most of them had new cards out to me the very next day.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I didn't have the card lost or stolen directly. I did have someone use my card fraudulently, though. They didn't have my card, but they figured out my number and ran it elsewhere. My credit card company shut down the card before too much was charged. They locked the card and sent me a new one within the week.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    We had our car burgled on holiday in Spain years ago, and lost all our credit cards. We just called our travel insurers and they put us through to a number that helped us cancel all our cards. They turned up a couple of weeks later near the Spanish/French border, but they hadn't been used, because we were able to cancel them so quickly. They were replaced by the time we got home, but it left us a little short for our spending money, as we'd intended to use the cards for shopping and restaurant meals, rather than taking a lot of cash.

5. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I've lost a couple, but it was never too big a deal and they were replaced soon enough. Besides which my credit card companies are quick to lock down a card. It's like they live for suspicious activity.

6. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any first hand experience in this arena as I have never really physically lost a credit or debit card. But I do work at a bank and know that this is a relatively common situation for a lot of people. The key is that you recognize that you have lost it quickly and report it so that you aren't on the hook for any unauthorized charges. Report it the minute you suspect it's lost or stolen and have it replaced, including having the account number changed.

If you suspect that your card has been used fraudulently, work with your bank to issue disputes against the transactions and monitor your statements for several months to ensure that you aren't paying for anything you didn't authorize. These are the keys to preventing you from paying for items or services you didn't receive.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never lost a credit card or had one stolen. I consider myself very fortunate. Most credit card companies are very responsive and offer theft protection.

8. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    I don't remember ever losing a credit card or getting one stolen, although I have had a couple of incidents where there were unauthorized charges. The credit card company reversed the charges and sent me a new card. It is nice to know that the good credit card companies have very good fraud departments.

9. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    No I've never had it happen to me personally but I'm very surprised on how often it happens. I work at AAA and I can't tell you how many calls I get a day from just members calling to report their wallet stolen or lost. I didn't think it was that big of a problem but I guess it's getting worse and worse with so many nasty people out there.

10. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I have never lost my credit card but I did have the details stolen - at a supermarket unbelivably. This was a few years ago now when fraud was not as common as it is today and I was the victim of a rogue cashier who was copying down the details of customer's credit cards and buying herself items online. It was nearly a full month and only when I received my statement that I realised I had been defrauded - but even then I thought it was a card skimming or something. She wasn't too clever though as all the items she bought she had delivered to her home address - I think she had spent, over a few people's cards, around £8000.

11. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've had my credit card stolen when my wallet was stolen. Luckily for me, I called within an hour of its being stolen and nothing was charged to the card. Also luckily for me, I didn't have anything in my wallet that couldn't be replaced except for maybe four dollars of cash.

12. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    No I haven't, but I have had unauthorized charges on cards before. It was a bit of a nightmare, so I can only imagine how I would be if I actually lost the card or it was stolen! Glad all is ok now for you tho.