Have You Ever Purchased Jewelry Seen on Television?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Scottf13 • Mar 23, 2014.

1. Scottf13

Scottf13Member

Threads:
    I don't know if this counts 'As Seen on TV' since most people think of crappy steak knives, and blenders that don't blend, but I wonder about the jewelry that I see on TV sometimes. I bought something once that was assured to be of high-quality and an appraisal told me that it was worth far less than advertised. At least any gold or silver items that I purchased seemed to be as shown.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought any jewelry from TV and I definitely won't after seeing that South Park Cash For Gold episode where they show senile old people being scammed by jewelry sellers on TV into buying worthless jewelry , which is made in sweatshops in India by poor children. Even if South Park is just a cartoon, that episode made me feel bad. Some of the jokes on that show are based on real things, like their Somali pirate episode.

3. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I worked in a pawn shop for a year, and I can tell you for a fact that NOTHING you buy from a shopping channel will by worth what they say it is. They are trying to make bank on your gullible-ness.

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're probably right but when I was a kid I got a keyboard from a shopping channel and I don't feel like we were swindled. It still works fine several years later so I play it whenever I feel like it. It just needs batteries at the moment.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    What amazes me is that one product will go out of style and someone else will jump on the new jewelry trend. They look so good on TV but some will turn skin a different color or will fall apart on its own. I'm surprised they haven't tried to duplicate colored diamonds.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never trust the commercials I see on TV and on principle would never buy something if I know it was advertised on TV because quite obviously, there's a catch somewhere. Either the jewelry will be a cheap knock-off sold as the real thing or as ACSAPA notes the production and acquisition of the said jewelry [or anything els] was questionable.

Never, never will I buy Jewelry advertised on TV.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only jewelery I have purchased on TV was from QVC. It was a gift for my daughter one Christmas. She was happy with the quality of the earrings. I can not say they where as good as stated on TV at the time I saw them but it was okay.

8. atribble73

atribble73Member

Threads:
    I have bought jewelry in the past from a shopping network television show, and was highly disappointed. The ring I bought was gorgeous on the television, but in person was too big stone and looked nothing like the ring the model was wearing on the show.
    From getting burned on that ring, I have never bought another piece of jewelry from online or shows on tv.

9. deebee

deebeeNew Member

Threads:
    I do not want to put any names out there, but yes I have. The company sent me garbage. The experience took place mid last year. I paid for a necklace, ring and bracelet. The quality was so cheap. I opened the box, took out the jewelry, and each one of them bent. It was supposed to be REAL GOLD WITH DIAMONDS. The price was very costly. I called the company immediately telling them what happened and they just apologized saying there was nothing they could do. I am still mad and disgusted to this day. Needless to say I learned my lesson. I will never ever purchase jewelry unless I am in the physical store.

10. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I never buy anything from the television. There are things I have bought at Walmart that was from the television. I think one of them was years ago, those cool blow pens. I loved those, but other than that the other products sucked so I stayed far away. I think ordering off of TV is way worse than buying from somewhere like Ebay. I don't really know why anyone would do it.

11. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    ive bought stuff from TV before but certainly not jewelry. i don't care how good the deal looks.

12. askanison

askanisonMember

Threads:
    I would never buy jewelery of tv. You don't know the real value unless you happen to have a pawn shop buddy. Most of what they sell will be junk jewelry anyway.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought jewelry from TV and now I definitely won't after seeing that depressing episode of South Park about how QVC and Jewelry TV prey on elderly people and cash for gold places are a scam.
    I know South Park isn't a documentary, but they have a smart way of pointing out real problems.