Have you ever regretted updating your device?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by scottguy • Jun 5, 2014.

1. scottguy

scottguyNew Member

Threads:
    When I updated my iPhone to iOS7 I instantly regretted it, as I found that my battery died very quickly and I didn't particularly care for the setup of the messages or really anything else. I tried to look up if there was any way to go back and found none-- the same answer I found when I ordered an audio device for my computer that I discovered was incompatible as of ONE update ago. But there's no way to go back. Have you ever felt that way, or are you usually happy being up-to-date?

2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't own an iphone but I have heard that particular complaint from several people.

The roll back option on my computer is one of my favorites. One of the traps we fall into is updating a device too soon. It can take several weeks or months for our peripheral hardware manufacturers to come up with new drivers for these new updates to our OS. Until each piece of hardware has an updated driver, one should never update (the lesson I will never truly learn). These updates may really be a security improvement but they are often rolled out quickly and without regard to considerations outside of security. On my computer, I set a restore point and if an update says it can't be undone, it is not installed for a period of time unless it is crucial.

3. scottguy

scottguyNew Member

Threads:
    The drivers really are the worst part about updating sometimes! I can't tell you how many printers I've had to retire because the drivers weren't updated for a new operating system. I suppose it makes sense and it does help me to be on the cutting edge of all technology but still very annoying, especially for someone who usually buys used items!

4. SavvyGirl2014

SavvyGirl2014Member

Threads:
    YES! This has happened to me many times and it is so frustrating. For example, I still have the old Facebook app on my Android because I heard the new app crashes. The developers always want us to believe that the updates are for the best, but sometimes they just cause more problems. I realized some of these updates are just betas and lead to more crashes than the original program. You would think the updates would solve the problems with bugs rather than creating new ones.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do kinda regret updating because I had lost both Rock Band titles. I'm not too bummed about it though because it's one less thing to waste my time on and you can't purchase new songs nor restore your purchases if the app is not in the store anymore. Sometimes you have the option of keeping them in the cloud but often times when you get a new Idevice or update you lose some apps since they might have taken them down.

6. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    I regretted updating from Windows 7 to 8. It was an upgrade performance wise, but oh God that terrible Metro interface and full screen apps on a desktop PC. Still gives me nightmares.

Thankfully Windows 8.1 fixed some of the issues and I was able to disable Metro completely thanks to some third party apps. Now I feel like using a slightly faster Windows 7.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only considered upgrading my device if it was malfunctioning, like if it restarts constantly, because I researched, and an upgrade actually fixes that. But if it was working perfectly fine, then I would probably not want to upgrade it because I fear that an upgrade might worsen it, like that situation that you just mentioned. Not everything that's latest is always better.

8. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, there were a lot of Android Jellybean updates that I have regretted. One of the updates caused my battery to drain very fast. Another update caused one of my most used apps to be unusable. Then another update came - it was an update to Android Kitkat. I took a leap of faith and went for the update. I crossed my fingers and hoped that all the problems of the previous OS version would be erased. My prayers were answered.

9. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I've never really regretted updating a device or an update on my computer. While I've experienced bugs and some initial problems with new downloads, there are always ways to figure out how to fix the issues. Most of the time, the upgrades make my devices better and work faster. I can't remember something where I flat out hated a newly update product or computer update that made my computer unusable.

10. Aprax

ApraxMember

Threads:
    Yes, when I installed Windows Vista. Good god I hated that operating system.

11. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    I made the mistake of letting my niece play with my tablet unattended.

When I came back to collect the tablet, a whole bunch of apps were updated to versions that I didn't like (ie. missing functions, more ads or just simply doesn't work as well as it did before). She must have clicked on the OK button for the tablet to perform a self automatic update - I've always had this on manual on the past.

12. brandon0818x

brandon0818xNew Member

Threads:
    I have heard from many of my friends that iOS 7 started to drain their battery very quickly, but I heard that 7.1 improved the iPhone 4 very much. Now, seeing as how iPhone 4 is not supported for iOS 8, iPhone 4S complaints will soon be here. Personally, the thing I regretted updating is chrome. I don't notice any big difference, but some of my extensions are no unsupported, extensions that I used everyday!

13. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmm I don't know how they can tell the difference. As much as I love the Iphone/Itouch, the battery seems to go very quickly no matter what version you have.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, actually, when I was using Windows Vista, one of their updates caused my theme and background to look like Windows '98, and I tried to undo it and it can't be undone. So I uninstalled that particular update and my layout came back to normal again. Since then I have turned off automatic updates for Windows Vista.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep! There are a couple times where I updated my computer or software to the most recent version too soon. Usually they will eventually be okay, but if you update too soon, you end up with a buggy mess. This is why I tend to wait many months after an update comes out before I install them. I still haven't updated to iOS7 either.

16. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually take a wait and see approach to updates. I never rush out and buy or update anything. I wait to see if there are any problems with updates or even upgrades. This has prevented a lot of headaches.

I did have to buy MS Office 2010 version for an assignment. I was still using Office 2007. Office 2010 was a big change. I think it's a lot more complicated than it needs to be. Unfortunately, I can't edit docx (2010) files without it.

17. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I did this once or twice with software and once with iTunes. On all occasions I learned my lesson, for the iTunes update it even deleted my iTunes library and did all sorts of strange things to my phone and iPod. When it comes to software updates I prefer to wait until the bugs are fixed before I update.

18. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    My update policy is quite simple. Use the device until it disintegrates! (no, just kidding). The truth is I'm not a fan of making unnecessary updates. In this sense it is better to be a "late adopter" and upgrading to technology having a while around, already certified as "tried and true" by others.

It may seem a bit of a cruel policy to let the others suffer bugs and disadvantages first, but this is exactly what businesses do; they usually update their software only after the first "service pack" addressing most blatant bugs has been released.

Of course, I can't recommend updating when the technology has exhausted its time and is having one foot in the grave, but it is better to go with caution. No rushes for rolling updates.

19. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I never really regret updating any of my devices as I found that after updating them, they looked more sleek and sexier and worked even better.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I personally don't have much complaints about iOS7, but there have been some app updates that made me very disappointed, particularly, some of my games. It's why I've learned not to update apps anymore if I really like them that much unless I see in the description that it is very necessary. Otherwise, as long as I'm able to use the existing version, I'd much rather just play it safe and keep it the same because I'm not really that interested in keeping everything up-to-date unless I really have to.