Have You Ever Retreaded Your Tires?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by luckycharm • Dec 12, 2016.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Tires in my vehicle are about to exhaust completely but a new set of tires of a good brand is costly. I was exploring the possibility of retreading the tires but quite skeptical about its durability and safety. But a majority of the people says it is safe and also durable. Moreover, we are saving natural resources by reusing the same tire. It will drastically reduce the tire disposal rates. You can save a lot of money by using retreaded tires.

Have you ever used retreaded tires for your vehicle?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Retreading the tires is the practice of public vehicle owners – buses or taxicabs and also jeepneys which is like a small bus. The owners say it is expensive to buy new tires so they just retread. When I bought my first car, it was a used car so I was thinking of using retreaded tires but my father cautioned me that a retread can cause accidents. And from what I had read in one magazine, some retreads accidentally detach from the tire itself. Thnk of what happens when you are running in the highway, huh. I don’t think you can save money by having the tires retreaded, better to buy new tires.

3. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the advice. As I said I was also afraid of the same thing - the safety. We can't compromise on safety to save some money. If you are going at high speed and the retreads detach accidentally its consequences could be too fatal. I also heard that retreaded tires got very poor wet grip and sometimes it does not go along with your braking attempts. By the way if there is an accident on a vehicle using retreaded tires, is there any bottleneck in claiming insurance coverage.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would never use retreaded tires for my car because I don't trust their size and shape and I am not sure whether they would keep my car's alignment perfect. I know the use of retreaded tires can give you a shaky drive due to difference in size and shape of the tires which will effect your driving capacity as well.

5. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    Even though retread costs just 25 percent of the new tyre,I have never retreaded my tires, I always buy new whenever my vehicle needs Tyre replacement. Since I don't drive too much, I don't have to change tyres frequently.When I feel the necessity, I get new tyres.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In our area a good set of retreaded tires is available at almost half the original price but I have never bought one because the wear and tear is faster besides their balance is never proper. Your car loses out its engine power faster and the driver tires faster as well.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Considering public vehicles carry so many people, it would seem like they'd avoid retreaded stuff for safety concerns. I mean, a lot of people in danger would be worse than a few, (in one sense). However, though, I assume the public vehicles are used so much, that buying new ones is a pain on the wallet.

8. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I don't suggest anyone to retread tires, instead they should buy new tires. My husband sells tires and if everyone begins to retread tires, his business will faill.
    Just kidding
    One time retreading your tires is very safe. You will save money as well as resources.

9. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Jokes aside, retreading tires seems to be dangerous and, of course, people do need jobs. Unless of course, you would hire someone to retread the tires. :D Anyway, DIY (do it yourself) stuff always hurts employment, but maybe not. I mean, those who make DIY tools are also employed.

#9Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  10. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    No, I haven't used such tires until now, but my winter tires need to be changed, so, I am looking for second-hand tires on a shopping website. I really hope I will find some tires soon because some new tires are really expensive, it costs around 400 dollars here and to be honest I cannot afford to pay that much!