Have You Ever Seen The Film, 'somewhere In Time'?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by H.C. Heartland • Feb 25, 2015.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    This year will mark the 25th anniversary of the magazine INSITE (International Newsletter of Somewhere In Time Enthusiasts.) Each year they have a dress up weekend on location in Mackinac Island, Michigan, U.S.A. at the Grand Hotel. Have you ever seen the film? What is your favorite scene? There are several clips on YouTube and I think most libraries would have it if no one has ever seen it before. Its a romantic film about Time Travel with Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeve that was made in the 1980's.

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I love this movie. I remember seeing years ago with my father on cable. Since then I have seen it several other times. I think thing I love most about it is the story of two people who found each other and fell in love defying the boundaries of time. I love the scene at the end where they reunite in Heaven, its such a beautiful moment. I also like the part where she talks to him directly during her theater performance letting him know just what he has come to mean to her. The movie is just so well done and I don't think gets the recognition it deserves.

3. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    Your are right it does not. My favorite scene is when he thinks she is gone and you see him sitting on the veranda all dejected and then in a blurry silhouette behind him you see her walking without knowing he is there and then suddenly she stops, begins running and screaming his name. It is the best scene of lovers running into each others arms I have ever seen.

4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but since I am also a fan of romantic movies, I think I'm going to check this one out, specially if it also includes the element of time-travelling because I have also watched The Time-Traveler's Wife and The Lake House that pretty much have the same storyline, and I absolutely enjoyed them. Plus, Somewhere in Time got quite a decent rating on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes, so I bet it's really good.

5. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Oh your right that is such a great scene. I think that one of the things that sells this movie is the chemistry that Seymor and Reeves had in it. They really sold the love story and the connection between the two characters. The thing is when people think of the late Christopher Reeves they tend to of course think of him in the role of Superman, but this was a movie that he did that as I said just wasn't given the credit it deserves. As for the individual who said that they love romantic movies but haven't seen this one, I highly recommend it. Its trully a beautiful film and a great romance to boot.

6. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    Yes, I like those two movies as well. Somewhere in Time is older than those two movies so the films graffics won't be as good but you will be impressed with what they were able to do on the limited budget. And the musical score will make you fall in love with Rachmaninoff.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I'm absolutely fine with old and classic movies. Need not to worry about that. ;) Most of my favorite movies are pretty much old but really good like Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and so many more.

That's pretty cool. I love movies with awesome musical score. It somehow makes the films more alive.

8. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    You would probably love this one then. I love all those movies you mentioned! I could go on and on as well, I never grow tired of talking about old movies. Oddly, I have only seen Breakfast at Tiffany's recently for the first time. I couldn't believe it had taken me so long to see a movie so famous.

9. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    This was admittedly a very good movie; one of a few that guys like me could easily relate to, especially the part where Christopher Reeves' character was frantically trying to send himself back in time again. It's a really powerful emotion, the one you feel when you've found someone perfect and they're suddenly taken away from you.

10. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    This is another thing that makes this film interesting: it often appeals to men as well as women. Some of the reasons might be that it was written by a male author from the perspective of Christopher Reeves character. Often romantic films are written from the perspective of the female character, but in this movie we follow Richard Collier in his quest to find this mystery woman and watch him react as a man would behind closed doors. We rarely have a moment in the film where you are seeing what Jane Seymour's character is thinking or doing; it is all based off of what Richard is feeling.

11. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Really good point. I never even thought of it that way to be honest, but looking back it did have a singular perspective. It was either very subtle or I was too engrossed in the movie to notice. Either way, it was one of the few great timeless movies, both in the drama category and in the sci-fi category.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not seen the movie in years. Now that I have been reminded of the movie I will have to find a copy to view. Is it on Netflix or Hulu? It is a very romantic movie. When I think of time travel movies this is the first one that comes to mind.

13. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    Yes, you can find it on Netflix, but I'm not sure about Hulu. Also, I think you could find it in some of your local libraries. My library offers to purchase certain DVDs if they are requested for free. But I have heard of some who rent movies for $1.00.