Have You Ever Stayed at a Hotel with Bedbugs?

Discussion in Travel started by Lilley1 • May 17, 2013.

1. Lilley1

Lilley1Member

Threads:
    Even some of the best resorts can get bedbugs. Its inevitable. Here are a few tips and facts about bedbugs. Have you seen bedbugs at a hotel?

I work at a very nice and clean hotel. It was built three years ago and the housekeepers found bedbugs in one room. We were very lucky that only a few bedbugs were found and it was only contained to one room. The pest control said they could have been brought in as long as six months ago.
    I've learned a few things about them, more than I want to know, but its nice to know if you are traveling and have no choice but to stay at a hotel.

Bedbugs can be found behind the head board and in the ridges of the mattress. They do not like the inside of the mattress because they suffocate. They don't feed all the time, so even if the hotel had it, you may not be bit. (OMG, thinking about it just makes my skin crawl). Anyone can bring bedbugs into a hotel, even someone that does not have them at home. They can be carried in from your socks or pants, so it has nothing to do with someone's poor hygiene.

There are currently two methods to kill bedbugs. One treatment is to heat the room above 100*, not sure the exact temperature. They do not like extreme heat. The other method of treatment to kill bedbugs is by using a certain bug spray and waiting a few days to weeks until everything is clear. Pest controls will warranty that particular room by putting the mattress in a zip-lock like bag. That bag is well over $100 per mattress. The pest control tech did not have an answer when my boss asked why zip-lock the mattress when they live behind the headboard as well. :confused:

2. brittanyt28

brittanyt28Member

Threads:
    Oh I have heard that bedbugs are getting worse. I was actually worried because two of my sons were coming out with what looked like little tiny bites. It turned out to be excema, and I have good cream for it now. Yes, if someone gets them, it doesn't mean they have poor hygiene, it's just a matter of the little suckers finding their way in. Bed bugs are scary and hopefully they can come up with even more natural ways to get rid of them.

3. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I probably have and didn't even realise. I once stayed in an apartment in Turkey which was infested with cockroaches. We demanded a refund and left immediately.

I'm not one for flashy hotels, I don't mind staying in pretty basic accommodation, so long as it is clean, that's the least I expect.

4. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not aware of any hotels I've stayed in with bedbugs, but I did stay in one with ants. There were dead ones and some that were alive in the beds. When we reported it, the housekeeper just came in and put some type of powder in a hole in the bathroom. So, they were already aware of this issue and knew exactly where they were coming from. I was so disgusted.

5. Lilley1

Lilley1Member

Threads:
    Wow! And they expected you to still stay in that room?

Its nearly impossible to avoid getting bugs or insects in a hotel room but we would put our guests in a new room or if the guest decided to leave, we would not charge them.

6. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    When I was in China, I stayed at a very nice hotel. I don't believe that I saw any bedbugs, but now that you mentioned it, there may have been a chance there was one. I never got bit though, which I'm happy for.
    However, I have found a few bed bugs where I'm living at. Our family actually threw away the whole mattress in case it could be infected with it, and just wanted to stay on the safe side. Every now and then, we take off the covers or mattresses to check if there are any bedbugs. I haven't seen them recently, hopefully they won't return.

7. blowx3

blowx3New Member

Threads:
    I've never had to deal with bedbugs but that's just yuck! Hopefully I never have to either. I stay at hotels only when I need to which is pretty rare.

8. jilliansorenson

jilliansorensonNew Member

Threads:
    Oh my goodness, yes! Just a few months ago I stayed at a run-down motel in Colorado that had bedbugs. My boyfriend killed two of them, but even still we both got bitten. He was covered in red, itchy bites, mine didn't show up until several days later which I guess is typical for bed bug bites, I thought maybe I just didn't get bit. They take over a week to heal, it's absolute misery. Side note: We didn't even ask for a refund at the hotel, although we did tell them about the bugs.

9. MrsR

MrsRMember

Threads:
    Thankfully no, but I haven't stayed in a motel lately either. If I was in a room that had any kind of bugs, I would not stay in that room. Another bad thing about bedbugs is that they can get in your belongings and go home with you. So I would advise that if you suspect that your room has bedbugs, to leave immediately.

10. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't think I have. I am allergic to it. Once I was travelling by train and got bitten by one I developed rashes all over.. After a whole battery of test I was told that I may have been bitten by a bed bug. Talking about those things makes my skin creep.

11. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I really try to read as many reviews about hotels before going but my fear is still huge concerning these issues.
    I hope that in the future all hotels will be cleaned in every corner since its becoming such a worldwide problem.

12. SuperSecretSanta

SuperSecretSantaNew Member

Threads:
    Yikes! You all are making me nervous. So far as I know, I've successfully avoided staying at a hotel with bedbugs. But now I'm starting to itch and I blame all of you. :)

13. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't that I know of but it really grosses me out how there seems to be an explosion of them lately. Luckily there seems to be some effective "bed bug be gone," type products on the market lately. The next time I stay in a hotel I will have something like that packed to use in the hotel.

14. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, unfortunately I have stayed in a motel room that had bedbugs. The motel was nothing fancy, but I certainly did not expect to experience bedbugs. The worse part about it was, it wasn't me who experienced them, it was my son (he was 14 years old at the time). He and I were staying in a room, woke up the next morning and my baby was covered in bites, he had bites all over his back and arms.

Prior to the bedbugs, I didn't like the room that we were in, but I didn't say anything about it because I wasn't paying for the room. But because of the bedbugs, we were moved to a better room. The person who was paying for the room didn't get a refund, but like I said, at least we got moved to a better room...one without bedbugs.

15. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Ugh, no I haven't and I'm very grateful for that. I have stayed a fair few hotels and B&Bs here in the United Kingdom and they have all been top quality. Although I did stay in a hotel where someone had wiped their nose on the shower curtain!

16. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't even knew something like that existed, but as soon as i saw something like that in the place that i slept, i would get the hell out of there as soon as possible.

17. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Ugh! This has never happened to me personally, but someone I know had some in their home after staying in a hotel. The entire place had to be tented and heated to a very high temperature to kill them. It was very expensive to have the treatment done, but he said that it worked.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh god, no never. It's been a while since I stayed in a hotel and with my need to find reviews on everything before I spend money, I would steer clear with one mention of bed bugs, no matter how long ago. They're tricky buggers I hear. They don't always stay gone for long, if you even got rid of them in the first place.

19. Carlalexander

CarlalexanderMember

Threads:
    I have never and I am not intending to. Bedbugs can be a nightmare to someone, if not tormenting. In fact, I always think that instead of putting prisoners in death row, they should instead be put in a bed full of bedbugs and forced to lie in that same bed.

20. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, when I was young in Turkey, we got to the hotel and it was covered with bugs. We ended up booking out and into another hotel. Luckily everything go sorted by our travel reps, but it was still disgusting.