Have You Ever Taken Flowers From Someone Elses Yard?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by JoanMcWench • May 16, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I was wondering if anyone here has taken something from someone's personal home garden? I don't mean at the park or another piece of public property. I'm referring to something more along the lines of someone's personal property. A neighbour or stranger perhaps? My daughter has the tendency to do this & it drives me bonkers.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I took several kinds of flowers from different yards back in elementary and for the greater part of my prepubescent years. In our locality, it's common not to put a gate around the yard because people would rather have a vacant lot where they can park their car/s and grow random plants. There would be bushes and shrubs with flowers dangling all over. Even if the owners were home, it's easy to steal a few stems because they're easy to pluck without notice. The leafy branches will hide you from exposure. Anyhow, I'm no longer in the habit of taking flowers without permission. We have our own garden at home and it's more comprehensive compared to neighboring gardens.

3. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    When the house next door to me was empty and for sale and there was fruit starting to rot on the trees, I did help myself to some apples and raspberries. I would rather use them than see them go to waste but would never have taken them if the house was in use.
    Young children do have the tendency to pick flowers and have a disregard for others property especially if the flowers/shrubs are overhanging the property.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sort of. I once took a small cutting of a neighbor's plant with four leaves on it so that I could put rooting hormone on it and grow a plant of my own. Yes, it's kind of a douchey thing to do. It was a one time thing and my neighbor didn't miss the four leaves.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have. But not whilst being an adult. As a child - and I think that we only did it a handful of times when we were all playing outside together (I'm talking about me and my cousins, and my older sister).

We were at our grandmother's house, and we were outside playing in the street bored. Someone came up with the idea that we should make our own perfume and then sell it to the residents of the street, so we began collecting flowers from everyone's yards, crushing them together, and mixing them with other nice-smelling substances, in order to make perfume. We made quite a bit of money selling it lol.

6. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Nope, it's not polite to take (or steal) flowers from someone else's garden or front yard. I usually just grow my own, purchase them at a local flower shop, or ask one of my neighbors. After all, here, a lot of flower seeds blow into the front and backyards every season. Even with parks, I don't like to take flowers there.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will admit to having done this, although I took the cutting from a plant in the local park. I've still got it in my garden now...

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How could I forget? There was also one incident, when I was in my teenage years, and I was hanging out with friends on one of the streets in my area. One of my friends spotted a nice big red rose in one of the resident's gardens, and plucked it. The person who lived at the house ended up coming out of their house and shouting at all of us.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I have. Mostly with permission.. my neighbours used to offer. Or there were times I'd ask for their seeds once the plants died so I could add to my own garden the following season. Otherwise.. only on drunken walks home from the bar lol.

10. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    As a child I surely did. I wonder if there is a child anywhere who did not pick flowers for their mom when they saw some readily available. I don't think little ones think of flowers as being something that is off limits. They seem to have the idea that if it grows from the ground it it's finders keepers. Or finders pickers, as the case may be.

I remember one year I had planted some of the most unusual and beautifully colored tulips I had ever seen. I could not wait for them to come up in their second year. And then when they did I walked out one morning to look at them and every single one of them was gone.

The little boy next door had picked them. I could have understood that easily enough, having picked flowers I should have left alone myself as a child. The child's granddaddy, though, really hurt my feelings over it. Without even a simple apology he came and told me that the little boy had picked the tulips but that there were plenty of pretty yellow flowers in their backyard which I was welcome to pick for myself if I liked.

Well, I didn't really want to pick their flowers. I wanted my own back on their stems but knew I'd have to wait another year to see them come in again. The thing was, when I thought about it I couldn't remember ever having seen any flowers yellow or any other color growing in their backyard. So I had a peek and saw that there was nothing back there but a mess of dandelions.

All I could think was what a smart a-- that old man was. And it did hurt my feelings.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I never touch the flowers that I see in people's front or backyards, no matter how tempted I feel to remove a blossom or two if there is a great abundance of them. In my eyes those flowers are there to be enjoyed by everybody, and especially by those who went to the trouble of growing them.

12. Cilivren

CilivrenMember

Threads:
    No, I have never done that even as a child. Actually, I don't think I have ever been tempted to. My mom used to have a garden in front of our house and other children would pick up flower and break tree branches. This would make mother mad and really upset so I always knew that I shouldn't do anything like that myself. I didn't plant those flowers so why would I have the right to pick them up without permission? They are were to be enjoyed by the owner's of the garden.