Have You Ever Tried To Write A Book?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by NikkiDesrosiers • Nov 1, 2014.

1. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I am a freelance writer and while I specialize in non-fiction articles but I have always wanted to write a fiction novel. I have tried several times, get a few chapters in and then completely scratch the whole project because it doesn't seem to be coming along the way I would like. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    I have written several books available as paperback, ebook, and audiobooks.

Some people have to use outlines. For me, I need to just write chapter by chapter. Always inject an "ah ha!" type of moment in your chapters, because that is why keeps people reading. Try to shock or put twists. I killed off a character in my book, Tower of Tears, but I had not decided who the kiler was. I give my chapters to my mother to read as I write them. Five characters hated the victim, so I just continued with the story and figured I would decide who the killer was later. My mom got halfway through the book and said, "I know who did it!" I didn't, so I was shocked. Then I made it a character she did not name. People who read the book thought it was great.

My suggestion, add things you know. Visualize the characters as people in your life. It is easier to describe someone who already exists. Pull from your own experiences or family history. My one novel is about Nazi Germany and the changing society. It is loosely based on my real family, then I threw in some spies and murders, and Bam! Then next thing I knew, my book reached the amazon top thrillers list-- it was only five away from James Patterson! I have a picture of it! I might never sell another book, but I have that picture. That is good enough for me!

3. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    Always wanted to write one, but life gave me excuses. There was a time that I was around page 50 of a simple novel, but a virus wiped it out. I may need to put in more time of I want to add more energy to this goal of writing a book. I might want to reopen this idea though.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been writing a book for a couple of years now. It's a book that revolves around magic realism, where I combine my dreams, and the characters that I encounter in them, with every day life. It's a combination of psychology and fairy tale, exploring various different levels of consciousness and existence. I hope to finish it in about 6 months from now, and then see what will happen next. :)

5. La.Oui

La.OuiNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah, definitely. I haven't even gotten a chapter finished. I think it's because of my expectations of my output. I'm an over-thinker so I mostly have character sketches and short scenes. I sometimes end up with short plays instead of novels. :p

6. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I just started writing my book. I hope to have it completed by the end of the year. It has always been a passion of mine to write. I have only done short stories and articles so far. So far I love it but I seem to be very critical of my work.

7. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    This post makes me want to restart my own unfinished story I wanted to turn into a book saga or series! Although I've always wanted to write a screenplay instead, I used to write a lot of material, but things always come up and deter me from ever finishing. My last story was about a sci-fi/action/fantasy/drama, which the plot takes place in several time-lines and time-periods throughout known history and fictional history. It was going to be about how the truth of magic is altered throughout time, because people's perception of it changes even in the characters whom I have written as immortals or reborn throughout the ages, human or non-human.

Well, thanks for this post, for it has reminded me of my lost story still unfinished in the vast memory-storage realm of my PC hard-drive.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger I always had this dream, that I'd be a successful novelist someday. I even sent a letter [not email] to Hodder and Stoughton. Much as I didn't expect to hear from them, they replied and advised me to find an agent who'd help me find the right publisher for my book. The search for an agent led me in an entirely different direction making me lose interest in novel writing.

Since I still know a thing or two about story writing, as Rhoda says, write an outline first. It will give you a panoramic view of your story. But it's nothing more than a road map which you will change as the characters actions start shaping how the story will turn out to be.

9. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I have always wanted to write a book but never manage to finish one. Life always gives me excuses that the project gets delayed year after year. I am so afraid that my friends will ask me for a copy of my book because no book has yet been finished. I usually plan an outline of events and my characters developed along with the outline. However, my outline keeps changing because I always think it has better to put it in another way.

10. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I have attempted to write a short novel but I have not finished it. The reason I started is because I was really bored one day and I started typing my thoughts. I tend to write about life situations and just rename the people that are invoked in my life. Writing had become a form of relaxation for me. When I am stressed or upset, I start typing and it calms my nerves.

11. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    The Write Stuff

I went on a writing camp to learn the ropes about writing your own book. During the months I was working on my presentation I wrote an outline for my book and we then had a team write up the materials. Each send in our part and we edit each other's work during the last few meetings before the final draft gets send out to readers and then returned to the publisher.

So yeah, I have gone through the process of planning and writing up a complete book. But I was able to complete the project because it was a team's effort. To write a book on my own after the sessions, although I knew better how to do it, was not an option. With a full time activity and a side job I was only able to come up with a book proposal and an outline.

I regularly try to keep up with independent publishing and publishing houses, including agencies that publish their own materials for news on what genre was selling out. Children's books are very rare on some of the new publishing I approached. I'm not really creative in selecting topics to write about, so it's often really helpful to have online access to resources and communities.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I write lots of essays and I think I'm fairly good at it and I've often thought bat writing a book but I don't know what I'd do with it even if I did finish one. I wouldn't know where to sell it, or where to publicize it even if it were given t for free I don't know how to get people to read it or pay me for it. I know there are local publishers in my area but I honestly don't trust my local literary market.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been trying to write a novel since I was 10. When I got to high school, I managed to write a few chapters until I ran out of steam. I also wrote a long fan fiction novel that nearly reached completion but ended up in a cliff-hanger. I had my classmates read the novel but school duties eventually got in the way. Thank goodness I haven't thrown my unfinished manuscripts. I kept all the notebooks where I wrote them. I've also written other manuscripts throughout the years. I plan to get my groove back and work on them soon.

#13Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  14. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Although I have written several e-books for clients, I have yet to write my dream novel. I can say I am not ready yet. I don't even give too much thought into it right now, although sometimes I would scribble down on a piece of paper whenever an idea pops in my head, things like character creation, settings, etc. I'm taking my time and it isn't my primary goal right now. Maybe the best advice I can give you is to just do it. It sounds like you're aiming to have the perfect version the first time. While that isn't bad at all, it can also cause you to never finish your novel. In any case, I wish you the best and may you finish that book soon!

15. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    Yes, I did. I started reading novels when I was very young and when I was around the age of 13, I tried to write my own book. Being an Anne Rice fan that I was (and I still am,) it was just inevitable that it was a vampire-themed book that I tried to write. However, my muse left me and I never finished my work. I want to get back to writing again, but I can't find the time to.

16. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I tried a few times a few years ago when I was on the verge of emotional desperation but also my peak in artistry and written word, nowadays I've transcended even that state and I am too hollow to care to express my thoughts, they just don't care to come out anymore. I had a few written scripts, a post apocalyptic fantasy novel that drew parallels to politics and life in general through various metaphorical situations, some poetry, some other stuff I was trying to get across. Nowadays I am preoccupied with other things, people constantly on my back for every decision I make, and berating me when I don't take the right one, no money, no freedom, no nothing. What is the point of writing about it, or anything else really or rather what is the point of anything period? Meh, anyway, thats what I think.

17. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I always thought I was the only one who did not feel pretty good about writing things out although I have always wanted to be a great writer. I have never thought that I would be able to write a book after that. I wish there was somebody who could help me with the writing.

18. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    I have a great imagination and I tried to write a book once but my computer crashed taking my work with it. Needless to say I was very frustrated and disappointed, I put many months of work in this story just to have been lost in a few seconds. After I lost my work It put a sour taste in my mouth and I wasn't able to return to writing, by reading this post has given me a new passion for writing, seeing all the people that has tried and is successful at it will encourage me once again, my suggestion to you is walk away from it for a few hours or even a day and come back to it when you have a clear perspective, you'll be surprised what a clear viewpoint can do for you.

19. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I tried many times when I was in my younger years, when I had so much time and when my thinking was much less futile than mine now. I thought I wanted to create new world and to recreate the ones, where I wouldn't fit in to make myself fit in. But it didn't work. I mean it's harder than I thought. Once I am there writing, I just can't do it effectively.

20. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I have two finished novel-length first drafts, one urban fantasy type that could be edited to go YA or adult and the other erotica. The still would need a lot of polishing to be publishable, especially the urban fantasy. That one was written fairly long ago before my writing abilities had improved. BUT that's two finished in over a decade of starting projects that never quite got done. One of my started projects is carefully outlined. It has sections completed of the beginning, several points of the center, the climax scene, and the end chapter. It's a very well developed world...but I never quite get around to writing the sections that need finished. Others are half-finished ideas, started in a moment when the muse gripped me and I HAD to write...and abandoned when the fickle muse moved on to other things.

I don't really know what to tell you because I have the same trouble but I can tell you what worked to finish the two I did finish. I wrote both of them with a group of people reading them and expecting regular updates. For me, the motivation to continue beyond that first muse given rush comes from the readers. So my best recommendation to you is to find a writers group where you feel comfortable and find some readers to cheer you on.