Have You Ever Tried To Write A Book?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by NikkiDesrosiers • Nov 1, 2014.

1. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    I'm currently writing a mystery/crime novel. I finished the first draft in November and now I'm in the second draft, expanding the book, correcting reactions and plot holes and overall improving it.

I found that writing somewhere the important plot points, then linking them, works nicely for this type of books, so that may help.

2. Epicfied

EpicfiedMember

Threads:
    Have you ever tried writing a book... hasn't everyone? Or at least everyone who has an interest in writing. Sadly, I could never finish one nor come anywhere even close. I would always plan it all out and then not finish. This was when I was really really young though, as in... before high school. I might be able to now, but writer's block is a horrible thing.

3. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdanaMember

Threads:
    I've tried a couple of times, with this thought that I was going to write this incredible book of what I wish my life was like and that I was going to make millions of dollars off of this book, but I know that's not going to happen. I may try to write another book in the future, but not right now. I have way too much going on right now to focus on writing my own book. Though I do have a bunch of ideas of books that I would like to try and write in the future, both fiction and nonfiction.

4. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    Yes as a matter of fact I have tried writing a book but I didn't finish it yet. Yes I have had a problem a long time ago but one day I'll get that book right. I have decided to publish a book of poetry first and then after that I'll work on a novel. Poetry is something I have been doing for so long since I was a child and one of my talents.

5. Kerrifl

KerriflNew Member

Threads:
    I have many short stories under my belt and lots of poetry, I've been thinking of combining them into a book of sorts, although those are not top on my priority list. I have started one novel, based off of one of the short stories that I wrote. The way I see it progressing it could be a fantasy series that could grow one book at a time, each book following a particular main character. Unfortunately I haven't worked on it in a great while.

I have another epic fantasy type of novel started and I'm almost halfway done with it, but again, I haven't worked on it for a while. I feel like my muse might have ran away for a while.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes! I always loved to both write and read, and I have read way more than I have wrote, but ever since I was a child I have been writing. I wrote several stories for school when I was young, and when I was about 12 or 13 I wrote Harry Potter fanfictions! Funny, right?

Nowadays I will just write here and there, but I have attempted writing books here and there between my crazy ideas for stories!

7. Corald

CoraldMember

Threads:
    It is so interesting to read everyone's experience. I too dream of having a book written and published. I have started a few but they remain unfinished. The one I started recently only needs to be put to paper because the entire outline of the story is complete. The characters are also very real to me. This is the furthest I have ever been and I am determined to finish this one.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got paid writing short stories before, but now I don't write anymore since I don't have time and my creative juices are running out, lol.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only ever written and completed one story in my life. All of the other stories that I have written, I got bored of, or got a blockage that I was not able to move past, so they remain unfinished unfortunately. Now, it has been so long since most of them have been looked at, that I have forgotten what the story lines even were. I do love to write though. The story that I completed, I have not published it. I would have to edit it, since I wrote and completed it when I was 16.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've actually written quite a few. I wanted to be a writer for the longest time (and I suppose I was.. just not a published one lol). I just never got to the send-it-in-and-brace-yourself-for-rejection part of it. Highly sensitive when it comes to displaying my brain for others lol.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    I was that way about both my music and my writing, but have gotten lots better with it over the years. Not everyone will get it, you know. But when people do, it is so lovely. Also, it can be quite annoying when you know for an absolute fact that your work is amazing, and someone else is not able to receive that, for whatever reason lol. I'm serious too ;)

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've let exactly 6 people read my writing and of course, they're people I would expect nothing less than gushing from lol, so, hard to trust. My self esteem is almost 0 when it comes to sharing it with those who judge it to push it further. So I have no clue at this point if anything I wrote was something that would be considered.. but I like it, my friends liked it and the stuff I wrote for my kids once upon a time loved it :)
    These days I can hardly string a proper sentence together, I just can't be bothered lol. No effort; love it lol.
    So you've gotten better with it.. as in sharing it with people you know or people that would consider it for publication or...? It's a nerve wracking thing when you put your heart into something and open up enough to allow someone to judge it honestly. Yikes! haha.. Had there been internet back in the day, I would have self published and been done with it. I had no clue how to go about anything back then.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lol. You let your family and friends read your stuff? I consider that to be brave, JoseiP. If strangers don't like it, I am less inclined to be bothered. If people who I have to deal with every day are not able to grasp my magnificence - even if that is just because it is not their thing - I think that is harder. So it is interesting how we are opposites with that. LOL. You better start writing again. I know for a fact that you are a wonderful writer ;) I have published my fictions online before, and gotten feedback from anyone who wants to comment. I have posted my music online, open to anyone who wants to listen. I have also sent my music to record labels, but did not trust their contracts enough to sign with them lol.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Hey fellow writer! I've written 4 books and published them for sale in smashwords.com, Kindle and google books. It was fun and it flowed. I've started a few projects that just died in mid chapter too. I write with outline and grow the characters fully like giving them life before I start any chapters to make it real. I write fiction short stories and love writing. Fiction is fun for you just can make up anything you like that your audience might want to read. It just flows when it wants to be written. You got to get codes like your ISBN and genre numbers too. CreteSpace.com from Kindle is a real help for this. Good luck and hope you get best sellers too! What you're going through, I go through too. Most writers go through the same thing as you and I, just don't worry and keep writing till the end.

15. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I did try so many times but i always end up deleting everything and hating myself for not being able to deliver what i really want. I guess I'm just not cut out for this writing business. And that's ok i guess. That's why i have so much respect for all these writers. All of them, who ere able to follow through with writing a book and struggles that comes along with the whole process.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, good job! Contacts.. sounds very officey lol.. but I'm happy to hear you didn't just sign to sign, you're a true artist. We do seem to be opposite in how we feel about people judging our work. I've never let my family read anything, but I have allowed friends and I wasn't exactly in a sober state of mind when I did LOL. Never regretted it, because they did seem to really like everything, but never would have allowed it otherwise.. I was far too protective of it all. It's like, as long as I don't put it out there, it will always be great work lol. I'll just be the only one to know it haha. I wouldn't mind writing online.. I'd love it, actually (no names necessary lol). I just can't for the life of me figure out what I want to write. That part of me is lost.. my passions have changed.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    Hahaha, so you go with the liquid courage method ;) Stop being selfish with your magnificence and share it with the world. I won't tell you again LOL. No, I completely understand your mindset with regards to it. There have been times when I have put songs out that I thought were amazing, and did not get much feedback, and then thought less of my work. But then I have posted it elsewhere, and gotten lots of good feedback, so I have found that it depends :) Well if you do put something online, you can use a pen name or a screen name. You will get reviews for your work, so have fun with that once you find your passion to write again, hun ;)

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not liquid courage.. it's just easier to talk me into things lol, they knew a few drinks in and they'd be allowed to take a peek haha. They were curious.. I was always writing, they wanted to see that side of me I guess and they continuously pushed me to do something about it after. Not brave enough,.. even with copious amounts of buzzy bevvies ;)

Online would be rad if I could do more than sit and stare at the screen for an eternity lol.. that's why places like this are good. I'm given the topic and I blah blah and I don't even have to make sense or spell correctly lmao.

I'm glad you don't have my issue with it; I'm sure you're extremely talented in whatever you put your heart and mind to. That's why it works. Us "aware" folk tend to be very creative and I know you will take it to great heights someday, if that's what you choose.

19. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried many times, imagining a character and writing down an introduction and shortly after, a first chapter. But somehow, it never gets beyond that. I don't know if I just lack the motivation or if I don't have enough ideas in my mind. But of course, it's something that I would like to pursue in the future. Hopefully, I get through doing that in the near future.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    Well do you have any of your older works on hand that you would want to post online? If you don't feel confident about posting them as they are, you could touch them up from the perspective of the person that you are now :) I am actually intending to write a book about my abusive experiences with my covert narcissist ex, and I think that'll be a lot of fun. :)