Have You Ever Tried To Write A Book?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by NikkiDesrosiers • Nov 1, 2014.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ha! We're talking before internet.. everything is written by hand or typewriter LOL. Ooga booga! Me Josie, me write!
    Lmao.. yes, writing about an abusive narcissistic ex sounds like a party lol, but definitely something worthy of hashing out on paper. Not only for the content and achievement, but the therapy involved while creating it as well.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Can you understand your handwriting? I have stuff written down that I have not and will not type up because I cannot - for the life of me - understand what the hell my writing says lol. :/ At least with your typewriter, you can type it up. Or if you are on an android system, it is possible to speak things, and have your phone or tablet type whatever you speak, which is suspect to me. But it is just another way that you may do it :)

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, I don't have a typewriter anymore, it's just how I did a lot of it back then. Gawd, it wasn't even that long ago lol.. I'm sure there was internet for some of it (I wrote every day since I was able until I had my oldest and he grew to be more than a vegetable), but I was late to the game. Nah, if I did any writing now, it would be new... the old stuff is staying as is, shelved and there for my kids to do with it as they choose when I drop dead lol. Here's hoping I find inspiration before then.. if not, I have lots of inspiration for about 500 other things on my mind, so it's not like I'm lacking passion.. I'm lacking the attention span for writing lol.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops: @obliviousme@obliviousme Well that's okay too...not everyone wants to be a writer. Article writing is a bit different and shorter. To write a book whether fiction or non-fiction you need total focus for every chapter till the end. It's not an easy task. Maybe a short story at first if you like. You got to do what you want to do ultimately.:)

@JosieP@JosieP :oops:A lot of writing is if you want to write a book or not. It's okay if you don't want to write it's just that the world need writers. You got to do what you want to do always! :)

#44Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2016
  5. DreekLass

Threads:
    No, I meant that if you can understand your writing from back then, you could have typed it up in a Word document, or typed what you typed with your typewriter into Microsoft word and then uploaded it onto the net. But now I know that you have no interest in putting the old stuff out there. I still have our typewriter. Man, I used to hate using that loud, cumbersome, thing. Not a fun thing at all, but maybe we had a cheap one lol. Don't talk about your death, JosieP *angry face*

Well as long as you have other ways to express that passion. Us creative types are lucky that way. When we are blocked with one medium, we have another one to jump to ;)

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly! I've got plenty of passions to keep me busy.. if only I could use them to benefit me OUTSIDE of my brain lol.
    I love typewriters.. so clicky clicky and satisfying. I did have a loud annoying one too though, so I getcha.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Definitely :)
    The world seems to have more writers than it needs at this point.. everyone can publish whether they're good at it or not, whether they're harmful or not. True writers are still everywhere though, the internet is a god send that way, it just seems the ugly drowns them out.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to say I wish I could write as well as some people out there. But I just don't have the confidence or belief that I'm quite there yet. Like you guys say, the fact that just about anyone can put put out books and be published because of the advent of the internet and modern technology, makes it even easier for us aspiring writers. But man, the amount of rubbish out there is ridiculous. I wouldn't want to be one of those people who continue to churn out terribly edited rubbish LOL The frustrating thing's that I've got my husband to do the formatting and covers, it's his thing! Maybe one day I'll just bite the bullet and try my hand at it.

9. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    It is on my bucket list, but I do have one big problem. I really want to write something autobiographical but I have just not done anything. I am really banking on hitting that spotlight or getting my moment of fame and really capitalizing on it, and then I can really write my book. Of course I know that will likely not happen, so I might have to settle for a good old fashioned science fiction drama.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    One of the best things that you could do, as someone who may want to pick up writing, is read. Read. Read all different types of styles. Fiction. Non fiction. All different types of authors, and it happens naturally - how you sort of draw from all of those mediums and then bring the best parts of them together to create your own style.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Incidentally, I actually do read @DreekLass. A lot. I have always done, from a very young age. My dad started me on my love of reading and would take me to the local library, and to this day, I LOVE reading with a passion. There's never a day that goes by that I don't read, and hence my love of my Kindle LOL However, I don't like all genres, although I do read different styles. I guess it helps some that I've also started blogging, so that's a bit of practice for if I ever bite the bullet and go ahead and write.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    Well there you have it. You have already amassed the years of reading. But I will say that there is a difference between reading for pleasure, and reading to study the art of writing. Sometimes I will just pick random books in my bookcase in order to study different author's rhythms and such. So much fun. You could try to write. Maybe you will make the New York bestseller's list ;)

13. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, I wanted to write a book and even tried to with my best friend. However, that did not turn out too good. I like to write poetry and used to write all the time but life gets in the way and somehow I just haven't had the inspiration to go back to writing. I keep thinking that I should do it now that I have some time on my hands so we shall see how that goes for me.

14. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have written 2 books and will be finishing my third this week. They are all over 80,000 words and usually between 300-400 pages. I have done that a lot and before I got super serious I would. Here are things I learned:

1.) You are your worst critic. You will always hate what you write and it will never come out right, the first time. There is a lot of self-loathing in writing you have to ignore it and move on.

2.) Write. Even when you don't want to. Don't wait until you are inspired or else it will never get done. Force yourself if you have to. It will start flowing soon after.

3. Do NOT edit while writing. That is why I wrote my first one by hand because I wanted to keep editing. Do not edit that misspelled word, if you can't think of a name highlight the spot or put xxxxx. Revision and editing is for later.

4.) Planning helps when you are starting out. Chaotic flow charts, notes, maps, and anything else will be super useful. Do your research ahead of time and hope no one looks at your browsing history after. :p

15. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have never attempted to write a book, however, it is something I think about many times. I believe that for some people it will take some real effort and help from others to critique what you have completed along the way, in order for you to really get into the groove. Once you probably have a reasonable level of effectiveness, then I believe the flow will get easier, however, you should realise it will probably take some perseverance, determination, and probably a bit of head banging to make the cut

16. yeppeo

yeppeoNew Member

Threads:
    I never tried to write a book but I write many short stories so maybe in a close future I can think about that. It seems that these days it's getting easier and easier to be published and of course we have the option to write and sell an ebook instead of it being in paper and, with the internet, we can reach much more people than if we were to do it the "old" way.

17. Doof

DoofNew Member

Threads:
    I'm in the process of writing my first book. I've been in the process for about three years now. It's a very "on again/off again" project. I do enjoy writing, and I love seeing the changes from my first draft to my current draft. It's improving, even if it's moving along rather slowly. I'll get it out on the Amazon store at some point, but I'm not in a particular hurry. I give it time when I'm in the mood, and I don't try to force anything out. My goal is to hit 70k words. I'm at about 60k right now. The book itself is "done" but each pass through refines it a little bit more, and fills out more things. I'm on the fourth draft right now.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    I already wrote a book when I was in my teenage years. I had actually written it at age 12, and then when it came time to hand in an original writing piece for my secondary school GCSE, I touched it up and made corrections, and handed it in. I got an A* of course lol. That is the book that I would like to release now.

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never really been interested in writing a book all though I am sure life has given me enough experiences to be able to supply a story line. If I were to write a book it would be fiction maybe syfy or erotica something out of my normal life, something that would make me dream of things I would not take the time to dream about.

20. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    I have tried to write everything but I have failed trying, the last time I tried to 'write a book' I ended up making paper planes and stuff like that, it is something that does not really catch my attention and when that happens I could not force myself to like or get attracted to it, I would love being able to write a book or a story but sadly it is not going to happen in a long time.