Have you ever used baking soda and vinegar to clean your hair?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by akiii123 • Nov 14, 2014.

1. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard a lot that people really enjoy using baking soda and vinegar to wash their which makes their hair look quite healthy . But I have never tried it. Has anyone of you used these two ingredients to wash their hair. Can you tell me your experience on using these two ingredients?

2. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard of both baking soda and vinegar being used to clean the HOUSE. Baking soda has an abrasive quality that is good for cleaning and vinegar cuts through grease. I have never heard of anyone using it on their hair and I certainly don't. However, I guess the same principle applies as cleaning the house in terms of the qualities they have.

3. lemony

lemonyMember

Threads:
    I agree. I have also seen a lot of tv shows using baking soda and vinegar to create some sort of explosive or distraction in some episodes, like when the antagonist of a show is in a trapped building trying to escape from the villains. They try to find what they could in the kitchen and/or cleaning closet (and there always seems to be vinegar and baking soda somewhere in the scene). They mix them together, and always end up with an effect similar to that of a volcano.

I think a better explanation for this is found at FutureDerm's video explanation, debunking this myth. Full link can be found at

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This. I've always heard of using vinegar and baking soda as green cleaners that don't have nasty chemicals. I've never heard of putting them on your hair. Do they actually get your hair clean? What about conditioning? That combination doesn't have any moisture. It seems like it would just strip the oils from your hair and leave it dried out.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    The main reason I have not tried it is I am concerned it would make my dandruff far worse by drying out my already rather dry scalp more. I think this is a good method for people who have an oily scalp, but not for those of us who are already dealing with chronic dryness.

6. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yes. I've tried baking soda and vinegar on my hair and I find that I like it very much. You don't apply the two together at the same time, though. You do first the baking soda dissolved in water, rubbing it mainly into your scalp with not much attention to the ends. Then rinse with water and apply a diluted mixture of vinegar with water mainly to the ends of the hair and not so much on the scalp. Different people use differing ratios of water to baking soda and water to vinegar. I tend to use a heaping teaspoon of baking soda to a cup of water and one part vinegar to three parts water. I mix my baking soda solution each time I use it, but keep a ready spray bottle of the vinegar solution in the shower. It works well for me.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been washing my hair with baking soda and apple cider vinegar for a while now, and my hair has never been better. A few months ago I began experiencing a reaction to all shampoos, even the alleged "organic" varieties. My hair and scalp got really dry and itchy, to a point where my hair felt and looked like straw. That's when I started experimenting with baking soda and vinegar. The result was visible after only a a few days. My scalp almost immediately felt less irritated, and my hair felt softer.
    I am really happy with this new found "shampoo". I won't be going back to buying any kind of shampoo in a bottle.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've used ACV on many occasions.. I've rinsed and I've left it in to rinse out an hour later and my hair had never been more moisturized and clean. I don't know how, but it worked lol. Of course, everyone is different depending on so many things, but my scalp has never felt healthier.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is quite embarrassing but I will tell it anyway. When I was in grade school, I was engaged in a girl's quarrel. There were 2 of us in one side and 3 of them in the other side. After the brief melee, I came out with bubble gum in my hair. When I went home, my mother was about to cut my hair to remove the gum when the neighbor came. She used baking soda to remove the bubble gum from my hair. No cutting was done.

10. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I have not tried using baking soda or vinegar as a shampoo. I saw it being use as a cleaner, plates or sink but not to the hair. I heard that baking soda can be used as a teeth whitening although i have not tried it myself too. I know coconut milk is good and tried it but not these two.

11. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Not baking soda, but I tried a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse on my hair once, when it was much longer. But I suspect I didn’t rinse it enough afterward, since I smelled like it all day. Even with short hair I have enough on my head for three people, so I’m inclined to think that the cost of the water I’d have to use to rinse all the vinegar out wouldn’t be worth it. If anything I probably need to use tea tree oil in some form on my scalp.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At first I was averse to try out baking soda and apple cider vinegar for my hair, but after reading the positive comments in here, then I would have to say that I'm now considering trying it. I wonder if the vinegar would irritate my scalp, because I have dandruff at times, and my scalp gets irritated from scratching it.

13. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Baking soda on hairs...?? strange and quite embarrassing I will never try on my hairs. o_O

14. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used it on my hair, and I don't think that I would want to, either, to be honest with you. I know that people can use this in their home to help with the cleaning, and because of this I would assume that it can be quite abrasive and harsh? So I certainly wouldn't really fancy putting it on my hair, because I would like for that to stay in the best condition possible. But I will do a little bit of research about it, and see the types of other people who do it, because you never know, there might be something in it and I might be missing a trick here!

15. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Something similar happened to me as a schoolgirl too! I ended up cutting the gum out of my hair myself and made a right mess of it so I wish I'd known about the baking soda back then.

16. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, I sure have.

For those with concerns, use apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar. This is actually what CURED my dandruff. It didn't make it worse. It kills the bacteria that makes dandruff worse.

17. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    As strange as this sounded at first, after reading through this thread it did start to make a little more sense. Especially the person who mentioned using both ingredients separately. It sounds like the diluted baking soda in water would work to remove any odors from your hair and perhaps the vinegar follow up would strip out any excess oils that may be causing it to become weighed down and greasy looking.

Personally my hair has been a buzz cut for over 15 years, so I just use whatever body wash I got to clean my hair as well. But if I had longer hair I would perhaps give something like this a try. I would be cautious about the odor thing though from the vinegar. I tried the ACV method to remove a mole on my chest, and the odor from the cider vinegar all day was nearly unbearable. My body heat was causing the cotton ball soaked in vinegar to reek, and since it was right on my chest right under my nose, that's all I was smelling all day.

18. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I've only tried vinegar. Every once in a while I will wash my hair out with apple cider vinegar. It gets rid of all the build up and leaves strands shiny. However, it is important to only do it every once in a while. I find that doing it a lot can damage the follicles.
    I've only tried using apple cider vinegar but my friend said she uses white vinegar too.

19. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Having seen for myself the explosive chemical reaction that takes place when you mix baking soda and vinegar together - I too would agree - as has already been mentioned - that these two ingredients very definitely need to be used separately.

That said - although I've tried neither on my hair and am fully aware of the benefits of both in and around the house and especially baking soda - which does an awesome job on most things - I would advise caution if considering using it as an alternative to shampoo.

Particularly as - not only is baking soda a highly alkaline solution that is known to make hair dry and brittle and especially so - in the case of colored or chemically treated hair - as well as very likely to cause irritation in those with sensitive skin - but it can also lighten hair color too.

20. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    Vinegar is quite of a common practice where I reside, but baking soda... not that much. I know that it's used to clean the house as a normal practice, but not really for washing your hair, ha, ha. Quite odd, but I'll ask a few fellows out here and come back with a reply of what information I've managed to muster. Surely there must be someone given how many people here are already doing this. Stay tuned, folks!