Have you gotten rid of your television cable?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by andrew320 • Jun 8, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    It's been four-plus years since I moved out on my own. When I moved into my apartment, I made the decision not to get a cable, though I did receive a nice LCD HDTV from my building just for signing a one-year lease. I find that not only does it save me $50 per month, but it also gives me extra time do other things, like doing work, reading, catching up on my writing and engaging in the art of conversation with my loved one.

I have spoken to many people who say it's near impossible for them to give up their cable or stop watching television altogether. Have you done this? Would you do this? Is television cable a necessity for your household?

2. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I don't think I'll ever give up cable. To me, it's still the best way to watch TV - I don't like streaming that much, and my internet connection is not that good to support that. In addition, I don't own a smart TV, but a... "dumb" one? It's a few years old. I watch TV daily.

3. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    I found that since I got Netflix I never turn my TV on. I have satellite right now and I have to wait until September to cancel the service because of my contract. I am looking into an HD antenna which will still allow me to pick up my local stations just so that I have that available in bad weather. I will miss all my movies I had recorded on my DVR but I will survive. ;)

4. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I have been television and cable free in the past and one gets so much living done, it is unreal. I still like the option of having it, but to be honest I may give it a skip my next move in a couple of months time. Right now it is a freebie where I live anyway, but I have never paid for it before. I am not sure if I would or not in the future though, I do enjoy having the option. But then again...

5. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I can live without it and I plan on cutting my satellite bill. It's the same shows over and over, I could really afford to do something else with that money. I can watch all of my shows on the Internet, so there's really no reason to keep the satellite going.

6. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    Cable isn't really a necessity at our home but I haven't gotten rid of it yet. My parents enjoy watching various programs and shows so I don't want to deprive them of it. Although, I'll probably change the package and just have those channels they like to watch. That'll probably save me a little on the bill.

7. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    I canceled the cable a year and a half ago and it was the best decision I ever made. We have Netflix streaming and actually go out to see a movie once a month and still only pay half of what cable cost. Also, I borrow a lot of movies for free from the library. Plus, I love to read, and have more time for hobbies. I get the news online or buy a newspaper once in a while. Besides, other than a few premium channels I really loved and which offer online content, most TV was pretty boring or awful to me anyway.

8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I would never get rid of my dish. Even when I don't watch TV, I can listen to music through their stations. I enjoy too many channels that aren't streamable, and I wouldn't want to stream them if I could. I don't want to sit in front of my computer to watch TV. I've also had a HD antenna and you need to be in the most optimal location for them to work as seamlessly as they claim.

I have no desire to go back to my childhood and keep getting back up and down to adjust the antenna. I enjoy knowing that every channel I flip to will have the same crystal clear picture, unless it's just not in HD.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not have cable on my tv. I look at what is local or rent a movie for free from the library. I do not look at tv enough to justify the cost of cable. Most of what ever I want to look at I can see online.

10. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    Cable isn't available since we live in such a rural area here. I wish it was avail. since we pay $124 per month for satellite. I wish we could stop altogether, but my kids love the cartoons and my husband loves the movie channels. I rarely watch television. Whatever I want to watch I can watch online on my desktop.

11. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    It's not a necessity for me because I can do other things. I haven't gotten rid of it yet but I am seriously thinking about it. What good is it? It poisons childrens mind and teaches them to do the worst things in their lives and it is not any wholesome shows on like it use to be. It is not worth the price that is paid for it. Maybe if education was on there it would be a different story but just a lot of junk is not a good thing. It should always contain education for the childs mind and nothing else. Show children how to do the right thing and how to go about their lives when they are grown and out in the world they will know how to live among other people on this planet.

12. SarahP08

SarahP08New Member

Threads:
    My husband would probably lose his mind if we didn't have cable. I, however, can go without it as I only watch it when he's home and has the TV on. When he's at work I never turn it on since I do work from home. I must admit though, I have become attached to my cable TV. When I need a break from work I watch a quick show and then get back to work. If cable TV were to go away tomorrow, I'd be perfectly fine with it. What I cannot live without is my internet. I need it to work and it's how I communicate with my family the most since I don't have much fee time to spend with them these days.

13. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    Although most shows, news and sporting events can be easily accessible through downloads and streaming today, I'd still not give up my cable. Nothing beats the good ol' cable. After all, it's the Internet that's making me unproductive, not the TV. Like whenever I'd read something interesting, like breaking news via Twitter, I'd still confirm it on cable news.

14. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Nice deal on the HD! I don't think it would be difficult to give up watching tv. However, to successfully banish it, you'd need to fill the void with other activities to keep your mind busy. Tv has such a hold on people, it would be impossible for some to go without it. I spend more time online than I do watching tv, but that's just going from looking at one screen to another so I don't think that counts.:D

15. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Well you're right, you go from watching one screen to looking at another so it probably wouldn't do any good whether or not you got rid of it. The kids are on the call phones and computers more than a TV anyway. So it is like trading one for the other. Real Deal I suppose! Is there a difference?

16. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    If it wasn't for a package special offer I would absolutely forget my cable and sign up for Netflix. When I moved on my own I had the right idea to minimize my life and just get basic cable and order Netflix for movies. Because I have to have a landline and internet for school, I decided on taking advantage of the special offer with the combo (internet/phone/cable) otherwise, I'd do the same as you. It's a smart way to simplify your life and save money.

17. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not given up cable television. Even though I watch many things online via streaming, it's hard to give up. Most of the television shows I like to watch are on cable. I don't watch much on network television.

18. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    I have been thinking about a switch to dish or direct. Cable companies are run by criminals. I wouldn't give it up. I dont do a lot of uploading, and truthfully I like to curl up in front of the tv.

19. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    Yes finally! It almost took forever to have it cut though because the cable company is quite good with bargaining! But I have decided to really cut because I am not really at home to watch it nor do I really have the time to check on TV shows on a regular basis plus, I'm more glued on the internet than TV.

20. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    As a married couple, my husband and I have never had cable. If it were not for my daughter and her love of Dora videos, we would go days without turning our television on. I have wondered how things would be if we were to get rid of our television entirely. Then I remember that it's football season...