Have You Gotten Your Flu Shot Yet?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Ke Gordon • Nov 4, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since, my flu shot is free with my health insurance, I got it today. I haven't had the flu for many years, but since it was free, I thought why not? It is supposed to be good for your heart. Also, not only did I get my shot for free, I also got a book of free coupons from the store, so it was a win-win!

2. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Nop.
    I never got a flu shot in my life actually.

But the place where I work gives them out for free, and I thought about doing it for the first time this year.
    I'm at the gym all the time, and the immune system takes a beating. Plus all the sweating, humidity, dirty mats and kimonos...

I ended up not signing for it, and a few days after I was sick...

I think you're not supposed to abuse it though...

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our insurance here does not include flu shot. And also, flu shot is not that popular here unlike there in the US as if the flu is so deadly (no offense). The only perks that I get from our insurance is the Christmas card with a token of a pen or sometimes an elegant calendar that they give away during the Holiday season. I am loyal to our insurance company because it is a sister company of our bank.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad some companies give it for free, and some local districts do too, but it's a choice whether to have it or not. Personally I wouldn't have it even if it was free, because I hate jabs and I think prevention, is much better by the normal methods of hygiene and building up the immune system.

It does depend on age and also if you in a vulnerable group and I can see it may help some people and it shouldn't be a matter of cost if people do wish to have it. It should be free or subsidized.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's free here in Canada as well and I have never gone to get one. I had the flu once in my life and I gave it to my poor baby at the time, but we suffered through and haven't had it since. Actually, since my kids stopped going to school, they haven't been sick at all.. and it's not like we're not around a lot of people, that says a lot lol. But we also stopped eating garbage around the same time, so I can attribute our health mostly to that. Even people that get the shot still end up with the flu.. it's not always a promise and I'd rather rely on healthy habits and strengthening my body to fight it's own battles. I've built my own immunities and if they ever fail me, so be it. The shot could fail you too. I'm never sick and although that's not the only reason, it says a lot about how I go about preventing illness. My thoughts might change once I'm high risk, but as of now, I'm not.

6. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Its flu shot season where I live too and although I think it a good thing that they are offered free - to the elderly, those with chronic health conditions and to those who work in environments where there is a high risk of contracting the virus - even though I can't actually have them myself I wouldn't choose to have one either - for the simple reason - that having one doesn't guarantee protection against all types of flu.

I do however think that flu shots are a necessary evil - for those people who are at risk of developing serious health complications should they get the flu virus - particularly as - although they may not guarantee complete protection against all types of flu - they do help in the sense that the symptoms tend to be less severe.

Oh and for those of you wishing to have flu shots but don't like needles - you will be pleased to know that there are now several ways in which you can receive the flu vaccine - one of which doesn't involve coming into contact with a needle - as its given by way of a nasal spray clear.

7. MiMichelle

MiMichelleMember

Threads:
    I have never had a flu shot and don't plan on it any time in the future.
    My job will also be giving them for free but I've notice most people that get the shot end up getting the flu anyway, so maybe I'm misunderstanding what it's for.
    I don't think it's the worst thing getting the flu it help clean up you system and strengthen your immune system. Sometimes our bodies defenses get low because we are pushing our self too much and having the flu is a way to force our bodies to rest.
    I do understand that for medical reason there are people in situations that need to have the shot, but luckily I don't fall into the category.

8. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Flu shots are free to certain groups here in the UK and are fairly cheap for those who don't qualify. Whilst I can certainly see the benefits for healthcare workers and school staff, it seems likely that some new strain of "superflu" would eventually develop.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Mine is free too, but I did not get my flu shot this year. I don't like the flu shot. There has been many pros and cons to taking flu shots. I just happen to think that i don't need the flu shots for it just doesn't agree with me. I take other vaccines such as MMR and tetanus shots though.

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    We don't have to pay for flu shots in Canada. We can go to a flu shot clinic to get our family their flu shots, or to a pharmacy to get the flu shot. Our family doctor also calls to remind you to come into his office to get the flu shot too. With the flu shot so readily available most people I know get it. Some work places even organize flu clinics for their employees. It makes sense to get the flu shot.

11. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I have never gotten a flu shot and have only had the flu once and that was when I was a child. If we eat a healthy diet that includes a lot of uncooked fruit and vegetables and keep ourselves hydrated, it is very unlikely that we will get the flu. Also, we need to avoid a lot of dairy and foods high in sugar. This along with regular exercise will keep the immune system strong enough to resist the flu.

12. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have never gotten the flu before. As a matter of fact I have never had the flu shot before either. I have even heard that even if you get the flu shot you can still get the flu. I think it all depends on whether or not you were vancinated for the right strain and whether or not you even got the shot earlier. I mean, what good would the shot do while you have the flu?

13. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    I don't plan on getting on a flu shot and I have never had one. I've heard various things about getting the flu shot and so I have opted to not get one. I've never had the flu either and hopefully never get it.