Have you guys tried buying groceries online?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by pahagwl • Mar 11, 2014.

1. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    With the advent of high-speed broadband, you can buy almost anything online. Businesses have even started selling groceries online. Amazon is one of the company which sells groceries online through its groceries arm, known as Amazon Fresh. So, I would like to ask you guys whether you have tried buying groceries online and how has your experience been with these services.

2. klieny

klienyNew Member

Threads:
    I was going to give it a try, but yeah I haven't done it before. There some companies where I live that you order them online and just pick them up at the store. Damn, we humans getting lazy lol.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have tried it with a local business and wasn't impressed. It was supposed to be fresh organic produce from various farms, delivered to my door. They immediately wanted me to sign up for three months, without even sending an example box. They told me that they fill the box with what is currently in season. So, according to the delivered box, only potatoes, oranges and mangoes were "in season" that week. I didn't order from them again. Other than that, I have ordered quality dried bulk foods, oils and many other things with success. They delivered what they promised.

4. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Heard about it but my question is when will they be delivered? I think groceries need to be delivered very fast since they are perishable and no one will want them if they have already gone bad.

5. postergirl

postergirlMember

Threads:
    I have not tried this. I have thought about it. I wonder about the cost and the quality of food. I don't even know if it is available in my region. I think I will research this tonight.

6. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    No. I haven, and to be honest that idea sounds a bit ridiculous. Unless you are talking about canned goods. I wouldn't trust sending any other kind of food through shipping. They can be tampered with to easily. or spoil.

7. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    While living in England for five months, I ordered groceries online quite often. In Canada we don't generally have this option; we need to go to the grocery store for our items. The main supermarkets in England have websites with all their product options. You can then choose your items and they deliver at a certain time (chosen by you). It's a good system; lots of selection.

8. cookiemonsterv16

cookiemonsterv16Member

Threads:
    I have heard about this and got a little curious about it, but I think I would rather just go to the store and shop myself. I would feel a lot better being able to pick what I want in person.

9. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon has a subscription service and they carry many varieties of the KIND bar. However, I did the math and there's not much of a discount. Starbucks charges about $2 per bar but in a large city, it's better to buy these at the health food store or supermarket. Sometimes online isn't cheaper!

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not tried buying groceries online and I don't think I'd ever resort to that method unless I have to. It's impossible to know how far the goods will be transported going to your house. Moreover, I always like the feel of pushing carts and personally selecting food or toiletry items. I want to read first-hand the expiry date on the back of the items I intend to purchase.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the UK it's very competitive and you can get free delivery in many cases if you are flexible. You can also use coupons and some offer a guarantee if you are not happy with any substitutes offered. I've used it a few times and is good for bulky items and things like cans, noodles and bottles of drinks. Fresh items I always like to check myself.

In New England, Stop and Shop do offer it, though I've heard mixed responses as they are still rolling it out everywhere. If you were housebound, then it's a service that can make you less dependent on others.

12. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I've never been able to use Amazon Fresh since it's not available in my area, but I have used Amazon's Prime Pantry a time or two. The shipping is a bit of a nuisance, but I can justify it as a replacement for a gas price cost.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I haven't purchased groceries online. My sister does. She lives on the East Coast (US) and can't drive. She's legally blind. She is also a busy professional. She gets her groceries delivered and is very satisfied with the service. I never thought I would consider buying groceries online, but I'm beginning to change my mind. I would still buy my fruits and vegetables locally.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Those types of services aren't popular here yet although they do exist here now. I haven't tried it yet though and I'm mostly just waiting for it to become more popular and refined although I would be up for giving it a try for a few times before I completely dismiss it. It's just that the supermarkets are so near to my house that I don't feel much need to have it delivered and I much prefer having the chance to pick out my own products. I'd maybe give it a shot first for a few packaged and canned goods.

15. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    What is the point of ordering groceries outside the fact that a certain product or two might not be available at your nearest, local supermarket? This world can only be descending into laziness if we become or are becoming reliant on having groceries sent to us. I've never bought groceries online and probably never will as long as I have two good walking legs and people I know that could go out there and get it.

16. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Grocery shopping delivery services are a good idea. Newlyweds would benefit from the service. People who travel a lot would benefit from the service. Students cramming up their lessons for their finals would probably consider getting their groceries delivered. I did some browsing on the topic earlier last year and found a few new services that looked promising. There is

, which is available for a select area. There is also one from

, which includes several plans. For delivery services, I agree that it's not only about saving money, it's probably also about getting deals and perks that we would not be getting otherwise.

#16Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014