Have You Had A Flash Drive or Memory Card That Got Corrupted?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by sidney • Dec 3, 2014.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Omg, I know. Don't even get me started on those programs or processes that do not terminate once you have chosen to end the process. I was fine with Windows Xp. But now that I have Windows 7, I'm asked whether I want to end process or end process tree. I have no idea what the difference is lol. Even so when firefox has been open for too long, and is freezing up, and I try to end the process, it doesn't always close. So annoying. It's scary to end processes, so I only do it when I have no other choice. Technicians have said that this can bug up the windows registry, which is why I do it as scantly as possible. Thanks for suggesting Wise Care. I used to use Uniblue, but by the time that I got it my computer was already messed up.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah, I will check out Uniblue. I haven't encountered that process tree yet, and I also use Windows 7. I had no idea that it can also mess up the registry. I also don't like Windows 7, since old games that I used to run on XP and Vista won't run here. I also notice that when I terminate a hanging program, it doesn't always close, but it eventually closes when the slow pc catches up.

#42Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  3. DreekLass

Threads:
    Really? You haven't encountered the process tree option? I have no idea what it means. Usually, I am pretty quick at picking up things where computers are concerned. It's usually a trial and error thing, and you learn as you explore the operating system. I mean, you would think that just ending the process of an application/program would be enough? I think that hanging programs take so long to close because they are using up so much CPU at the time, and after you have terminated it, sometimes you can see it in the task manager, and you will see its CPU use decreasing bit by bit before it eventually closes. I agree with you about Windows 7. They keep coming up with all of these new systems, and often they are seldom better than the older ones. I prefer Windows XP too, and I have heard that Windows 8 is a pain in the ass!!

4. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    If you have a flash drive or memory card that could not be read anymore, and you have vital, irreplaceable data on it, there is one thing you can try to recover the data. You can try your luck with a data recovery programme. Many are available on the internet. Some are free. Some are free only for file sizes under, say, 3K. There is one which I have used to recover data after the drive has been formatted. It's called Recovery Pro. It works but, if you have a lot of data, be prepared to spend a whole night recovering the data.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm on my phone now, I will check later when I get on the pc if I will encounter that process tree option. In my case, I swear by it, since some programs configure themselves to run on start-up, like Flashget or PC Companion, so they slowed down my pc. Chrome seems to have multiple processes too when I only have 1 window open. Yeah, some programs take a long time to open and close, but games that have hanged take FOREVER to terminate! Have you tried defragging your pc? Yeah, I actually downloaded a Windows XP ISO file, I just have to learn how to burn it into a CD so that I will have my own installer. It has 3 parts. And yeah, I'm not keen on trying Windows 8 because of the negative reviews.

#45Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  6. DreekLass

Threads:
    That explains it - why you are not encountering the ending process tree option, because you are on your phone. But speaking of phones, I didn't actually know that you could get Windows 7 operating system on smart phones :O Yes, you are 100% correct about Chrome. I will use Chrome and Firefox for different things, so I often have them open at the same time, and my computer will crash, even when I am only performing simple tasks within both browsers. I suspect that Chrome is the culprit as it has up to five or six Chrome.exe operations open when you have one window open. So annoying lol. I have had to defrag my computer a few times, but I only do so when I have to because it is a lot of hassle ;)

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lol, I was on the pc the other day and I ended some processes and I still didn't encounter it. Maybe it depends on the program you're using? I don't log in to any site using the pc anymore since my bro placed a keylogger there a few months ago to spy on me, so I seldom use it now. Ah, yeah, Windows is being used in most Nokia smartphones. I really wonder why Chrome has multiple processes, that needs to be researched! For all you know they're also spying on us.

8. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    Perhaps it is the way they are used, but I find flash drives to break at a MUCH HIGHER rate than SD/Micro SD cards.

I think it is due to the fact micro SD cards are usually comfy inside mobile telephones while flash drives are exposed to external factors. Bumps, etc.

A valid work-around for this is an enclosure for the flash drive with one of those cheaps USB extension cables, but it might be an overkill for most people.

9. xHysteria

xHysteriaNew Member

Threads:
    I've had dozens of hard drives and the ones that I never need are always working and functioning properly. But one time, my personal hard drive containing ALL my VIDEOS (about 500gb worth) just suddenly stopped working, and became corrupted. I tried all the methods of retrieval and nothing worked. This hard drive was a 1TB Western Digital Green HDD.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yes, I've had them go bad, but it's been many years since it happened. I feel like maybe they've gotten better over the years and that's why I haven't had any go bad in a while.

11. Phillip

PhillipNew Member

Threads:
    I once had a 512mb Thumb drive, Scandisk. Filled it with memories of pictures and files. I find it hard to have a thumb drive that old that could be corrupted. I had a 1gb scan disk that became so full, it gave me warnings so I had to reduce the amount from 1024 to 900. When you use your scan disk on other peoples computer or cafe' network. Make sure you scan your disk by options on the right click of your mouse. This way you don't have any virus on that flash drive.
    Portable external hard drives are almost the same as the hard drive you have in your laptop. Some are book size that are the same as your Desktop. When you open and install your portable hard drive, you need to format it. The other thing is scan your new portables hard drive, flash drive the first time you use it. When you use another computer such as College, or Internet cafe' even a public library. Please do scan your disk for virus before you open any files. If you don't that's when you know your file got corrupted.

12. globulon

globulonMember

Threads:
    Apart from old age, I haven't had any problems with many USB storage devices. Once, I wiped my data by unplugging it without going through the whole eject procedure. Always thought that was unnecessary, but now I know!

13. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The worst that I ever got when it comes to flash drives was just the drive stopping to work because it got too old. I never really had a corruption problem, no idea how would that even happen.

14. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    My usb flash drive works well really and this was bought also since 2010 until a relative visits us in our house and somehow use it. So she inserted the drive to her laptop and prompt not recognized file system and so she formatted it to a fat32 when it works well in my system with ext3 file system.

All of a sudden my 16gb drive got corrupted and seem to be faulty from now on.

15. squeeiswin

squeeiswinNew Member

Threads:
    I didn't worry about "safely removing" my flash drives until I had one corrupt.

In the middle of a crunch time while applying for a research grant, I was running back and forth between computers, copying files to and from them along the way. Each time, I would just plug in the flash drive, copy the files, then pull it out. But, at one point, I plugged in the flash drive and it showed up, but showed up as a "0MB free of 0MB" drive on the computer. I tried reformatting, I tried all the assorted data recovery tools I could find, and nothing worked.

2 months after I had bought this $25 flash drive, it was rendered useless. I wasn't happy, and I've sworn off unsafe drive removal since then.