Have You Heard Of Diy Automotive Repair Shop Rentals?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Diane Lane • Sep 30, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard a lot of people saying that they could save a lot of money if they could just repair their car themselves, but that they didn't have the place, tools, etc. Many apartment complexes and some condo complexes won't allow car repairs on the premises, as well.

If you have the knowledge and ability, would you consider renting a Diy automotive shop so you could do your own repairs and save on the cost of labor? I've heard of these in several areas. This link gives an idea of what I'm talking about.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't. I am not mechanical. My roommate though, something like this might work for him. He did some major repairs on his vehicle. He has replaced valves and things like that. I think he has replaced his exhaust system as well, so he may really benefit from something like this.

3. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    We had one open near us last year. We aren't mechanically-inclined, so it's not something that we would ever use. I guess many people in our area felt the same way, because the shop didn't last for very long. It's already closed down. To me, it sounded like a great idea for people who can do their own car repairs but just need a place to do it.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is fantastic information. I think it's a really cool, innovative, idea. I know lots of people who would take advantage of such a thing, including my own family (especially after working on our car last weekend in the open, uncovered, driveway, ha ha).

We do have a friend who has loaned us his garage and the use of his tools (and even his assistance) on occasion, but we hate asking for favors. We do usually do something for him, but renting out a shop would be pretty convenient.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I were mechanically inclined and had the physical prowess to do these types of repairs. I've noticed more people advertising online as 'mobile mechanics' that will come to your home to work on your vehicle, which could be very convenient. I think it would be nice to have something like this nearby and it seems it might be a nice set up where someone could make a little extra money teaching basic auto maintenance skills to interested parties, as well. @ReadWriteLearnLove@ReadWriteLearnLove What a shame that the place closed. I think a lot of businesses these days just don't have the capital to sustain a presence without immediate success. @Zyni@Zyni I know what you mean, I really dislike asking for favors, as well. I have to do so sometimes, but always try to do something in return. That sounds like a good friend. I like that here in my neighborhood, people will post on the group asking if (I saw this just last night) someone has a tool or other item, and it doesn't take long before someone is offering the use of theirs. I hope these garages catch on, because I do think there's a need, especially in this economy, but people may not be aware of their existence.

6. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    No doubt, doing your own repairs would eliminate a lot of hassle. Note, myself, I do a lot of stuff in regards forum and blog maintenance, but can you imagine the hundreds I'd spend if I had to hire someone to do it for me? Anyway, though, you have to make sure you know what you're doing. You cannot go into either computer or auto work as an amatuer. In that case, you'd be better off hiring reputable help.