Have You Or Do You Use Cashback?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Scarlet • Jun 10, 2015.

1. Scarlet

ScarletMember

Threads:
    I keep getting emails from a reputable source about cashback sites.

From what I have read so far you buy the item and shortly after you are paid for buying the product?

For example, spend £20 at Amazon and get £10 cash back.

Have you tried cashback? Is it worth it?

2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Cashback can be tricky, but yet valid money saving and certainly a reality.

If coming from reputable sources, is likely you can make a good deal, but make sure it really comes from it say such a deal is coming. Yes, it may invite you to spend at Amazon, but the link might not come from the store but from an associate trying to make a commission.

It's also valid that someone wants to get paid such a commission, but as long as the promising cashback deal exists and matches your expectations, in which case you need to browse Amazon to check for on-site information regarding the cashback deal.

I tried cashback in the past, mostly from supermarkets and mall center through an electronic card giving me cashback for my regular purchases, which later can be used. However depending on the store, the deal can be limited to certain articles or to a minimum total amount in your order to pay partially with electronic cashback.

Even though a few stores allow to pay with cashback points as if this were regular money, and therefore you could be buying whatever you like.

Last but not least, do maths to know if it's worth. I stopped "taking advantage" of cashback deals several months ago when I realized that to make enough points for this, I needed to spend $3,000 to get 300 points, equivalent to $30, and therefore still needing to pay from my pocket other $270 to obtain an "exclusive" cashback rewards product that I later found for sale at a regular hardware store for less than $100.

3. Scarlet

ScarletMember

Threads:
    Thankyou MyDigitalPoint, has given me some things to think about. I did think that the idea sounded too good to be true. Will be sure to read everything fully before going ahead!

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sell on Ebay using my paypal account. I get cashback once a month added to my paypal account for purchases I made to sell on Ebay. The amount can add up and help to pay some of the fees I have to pay for the sales I made. There are other sites I can use to get cashback but have not used them yet.

5. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I have a cashback credit card.
    I get about $50 a year back on it. Not really worth it if you ask me, I just don't want to change it and take a hit to my credit score.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you are talking about sites like

(US) or

(UK) then they are legitimate and they do work. You should always sign in and check you didn't get timed out if you put things in your basket though.

I always open another window in case just before I buy and you can raise tickets for payments not tracked or received. I have used both and in all cases they have been handled within a day and chased. It depends on the company involved when the cash is tracked, but these are the two I have used and there is no expiry, so you can take as long as you need to cash out.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've gotten cash back from eBates and the Inbox dollars shopping portal.
    Although it's not a lot of money, you're getting cash back for shopping that you would do anyway and those small amounts add up.

8. h.hulk73

h.hulk73New Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the useful post

#8Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2015
  9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I make as many purchases as I can through cash back sites. In the UK, the best are Topcashback and Quidco. Before buying anything, I always check if I can buy it through a cashback site. If I can, and there is more than one site to choose from, I'll always select the site offering the highest rate as they do vary.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    My advice is to only use these for items you would purchase regardless. Consider it "bonus" money and not something you rely on. Otherwise, you'll end up spending more than it's worth and it won't actually save you any money at all.

11. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    I've used cashback sometimes. It's a pretty good way of saving if you use a site regularly. I think it's also a pretty good method of having people come back to your site if they were only using a once off purchase.
    As Jessi said above me, only use it if it's on something you're already looking to buy, otherwise you'll be loosing out on any savings.

12. Scarlet

ScarletMember

Threads:
    I do use Ebay so that would actually be worth it. Do you get the cashback via Ebay, or from the other websites you buy from? Who do you do this through?

How much do you have to spend to get that back?

I have no credit score due to never getting anything on credit or renting, starting to see how that can be a problem so thinking of getting a student credit card.

Thanks for all the other replies! some useful tips. I will sign up to the UK sites mentioned as I do purchase quite a few things online so it may be worth it.

#12Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
  13. Natalie89

Natalie89Member

Threads:
    I love Quidco. I visit London quite a lot (fortnightly) and use Booking.com for all my accommodation. 8% of £150 may not sound much but it soon adds up. You can also connect your card to the website so you can gain cashback in shops, and there's obviously online retailers too (take away service for example, order and get 10% of your order back). It's great!

14. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Well whether it's worth it or not is not the big problem, it's just that you get a little back for what your buying anyways. Since your going to buy the things you want on amazon, I always look for cashback sites. It's like a free discount on the item :p. better to get a cashback the buy it full price.