Have You Seen The Show Extreme Cheapskates?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Jasmine2015 • Sep 30, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    There was a TV show I used to watch called extreme cheapskates. It's about people who will do anything to save a buck. I remember watching one episode where a husband tells his wife he will take her out for icecreme. Then when he gets there, asks the ice cream man for all the free samples and hands it to the wife. There were also instances where I would see people eating at a restaurant and they would ask the surrounding people for their leftovers to take home. I have also seen a guy go to restaurants and ask for ketchup packets to fill up his ketchup bottle at home.

2. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    I watched this show before and I'm all for saving a dollar, but some of these people were flat out disgusting. I seen an episode where this husband dumpster dived at multiple places just to see if he could find anything of value. I had to change the channel because I couldn't get over how gross that would be. I also saw the episode where the guy would go around a restaurant and ask for people's left over food. If I was with him, as far as his wife or kid, I would be so embarrassed and wouldn't be able to go anywhere with him. However, when I go to a restaurant and I have left over sauce packets, I take them home. Especially if they're from Chick-Fil-A. They have the best sauce there, but I don't ask for extra sauce from the workers there just for that purpose.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I can't believe that it's a real thing or if they play it up for the show, or if the producers make them do it. I don't know what to feel about this show and many others like it, to be honest, because it feels exploitative but at the same time I think it's also important to know that these things are happening since it's probably too far out of the average person's radar. If it is real, though, I won't judge them, as long as they are not endangering their kids or depriving them of too much, that is.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I honestly can't stand shows like that. I don't want to be around people who would do things like that, nor do I want to watch it. As @MyPoesies@MyPoesies said, it's disgusting, and I can't imagine someone would want to do that, let alone chance passing that type of behavior on to their children by example. There are ways to save without resorting to extremes like that.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Y
    Yeah, I saw that show once. I mean I think that that is cheapness taken to the extreme. Some people just exploit businesses for their pound of flesh or to save a few pennies. I think it is absurd. I am all for saving money, but no I would not go to extreme means to do so. I think it takes more time to employ those cheapskate methods, than you would just buying generic or low cost items.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of the show. I like to save money but I do believe a person can be too cheap. I would never ask other people for their leftover food to take home to eat it. To me it is a level of being frugal, if you are too cheap you will not enjoy your life because you are taking all of the fun out of life being cheap.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have watched a few episodes on Youtube. It is very amusing and interesting some of the ways and things that people come up with in order to save a buck or two. Some people have even become obsessed with being frugal, and it is exciting to them to see just how much they can save each month. The show had me in stitches and there are some useful tips on there too.

8. Carnold23

Carnold23New Member

Threads:
    I have watched that show many times. The majority of those people take it way to far. I saw one episode where a pregnant girl was dumpster diving looking for things for her baby!
    I did see one episode however that I thought was okay. The girl was working for a salon and she ended making a bunch of things for the salon that were cheap and the ladies loved it! I believe she used kitty litter which was gross but that woman was smart. It was much bette r then most of the episodes I have seen!

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't seen a single episode of the show, but I know the premise. It's odd that it's not being shown over here in cable. It's quite embarrassing in my opinion for people to be behaving like that, but if they aren't ashamed, then it's not my problem anymore right? It does make me wonder if the show is contrived in some way, because the things that they do over there can be degrading. We all know that "reality shows" are scripted to some extent.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    You can always catch many of the episodes over on Youtube, last time I checked anyway. Youtube is always deleting channels and videos, so I am not sure if the episodes are still up. There are even celebrity episodes of the show lol. Most of the episodes are funny, and when they are not funny they are usually insightful.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, Thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out. Is there a celebrity version? I guess the ones that they feature are not the known or A-list ones, right? A cheapskate celeb would be even more embarassing.

12. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I never even knew there was a celebrity version. Now I have something to look for on YouTube. I don't think these people feel embarrassed at all. Otherwise, why agree to go on TV to begin with right? All I want to know is if they are not going to spend their money, then what will it do just sit there collecting dust? Money helps you get the things you need and if your willing to work hard for it then you shouldnt feel bad for enjoying the fruits of your labor.

13. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Dumpster diving might not be as gross as the guy doing toilet flushing once in a while to save money, arghh!

I think this show is basically an ode to vulgarity and bad taste, focusing only on disgusting money-saving "methods",

14. JoyF

JoyFNew Member

Threads:
    I found that boring :(

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    Hhahahaha!! No these celebrities aren't the creme of the crop, but still I knew who most of them were so I am not all that sure how to call it lol. These celebrities have no shame. They don't care what anybody think. It was this guy's anniversary with his wife, and he made them walk to and from the restaurant, because he was being cheap.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, Ah, they are probably the ones who appeared on tv for a while like reality tv show personalities or small time film or tv actors. Well, walking to save money is acceptable as compared to eating other people's leftovers, lol. I doubt those "celebs" would do something very embarrassing and disgusting just to be able to save money.

17. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    I watched it and Extreme Couponing on TLC. I think those shows are entirely scripted. Most "reality" TV shows are. I think dumpster diving and reusing dental floss is just about as low as you can go when watching TV. Disgusting.

18. nailah783

nailah783Member

Threads:
    I can't believe I missed this show. It sounds like something I would have definitely watched. I like the idea of seeing how far someone will go to save some money because I think that I go pretty far myself to save a buck, but there are still some lines I would not cross, so watching them would make me feel better about myself.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    I agree that walking to save money is perfectly acceptable. But it was their anniversary, and the wife clearly did not want to walk. she wanted luxury, just that once, on their anniversary, and did not want to have to walk back and forth in the snow. But he knew her husband and was resigned to walking anyhow. She's a better woman than me lol.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, Well that is indeed cheap, imagine walking through the freezing weather? If that was in the US, then the husband probably used the fare or gas money to begrudgingly tip the waitress, hehe. So he was adamant on just walking to and from home!