Have You Seen The Show Extreme Cheapskates?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Jasmine2015 • Sep 30, 2015.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hahahaha!! I doubt it. If he is so cheap that he isn't willing to spring for a limo or even a taxi cab so that his wife does not have to walk to the restaurant in the snow in her heels, for their anniversary, then I can hardly see him caring enough about custom to tip the waitress lol.

2. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have warched this show a few times and people do some really gross things to save money. I have seen episodes where people will take left over food at other tables at restaurants too. There was even this one guy who would go to laundry facilities and dig change out from the floor cracks and collect clothing lint to be used as fire starting kindling. I stopped watching the show because I found it disturbing.

3. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I have seen this show, and I was shocked at the extent that some people would go to just to save a little bit of money. Of course, I am trying to save money whenever I can, and I think that I am doing rather well at it, however there are some lines that I wouldn't cross, and some of the people on this programme would do anything, it would seem. I am happy just being nice and careful without going to any kind of extreme in order to save money.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, Well, you'll never know, he might be able to give 50 cents or so as tip so that the waitress won't give him the "dirty look", lol.

5. bigsumm22

bigsumm22New Member

Threads:
    Who doesn't like to save a buck? Some people will definitely go to the extreme. I used to watch that show as well and seen some people literally eating out of the trash can. Now, that's extreme. I know I like to save money here and there and have given up material items to save on monthly expenses but I could never imagine going this extreme. I just feel like there is no need for it, and that's not really living life, if you ask me. We were put here to enjoy life, but to each it's own. Right?

6. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    I have never seen this program or looked it up on YouTube but it doesn't sound like something I would enjoy. I barely ever watch "reality" TV because as we know it's hardly real. The sad thing is I wonder if any of it is real if these people actually have mental health issues that could be addressed by a professional instead of used to promote a program on TV.

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    Exactly. Some of the people in this show, along with their money saving techniques get so much criticism from the public, or those that watch the show. But who is better off at the end of the day? Not the viewer, who is usually just lacking creativity and too lazy to come up with simple ways to save money.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I've watched the show, but it's difficult for me to watch since a couple of former friends of mine were just like that. One of them is just flat out lazy and doesn't work so he steals and mooches stuff off of everyone, everywhere he goes. It would suck hanging out with him or going on any trips with him because he was always the dead weight in the group and never wanted to do anything, like go out to dinner some place nice, or to a concert, movie, wherever - because he didn't want to spend any money. So then the rest of us couldn't enjoy ourselves as well, because he would sulk about us ditching him. Talk about passive aggressive.

The other guy inherited like 1.5 million from his parents when they passed away, and he is still a major cheapskate and doesn't want to spend a penny of it. He's an only child, single with no kids and in his late 50's. He actually works as a bagger at a nearby grocery store. You would never guess he was sitting on that much money. I have no idea what he plans on doing with it when he dies, but it's such a waste. He could at least be donating to some charities or something.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    I don't think that people who don't want to work are lazy - at least not all of them. Work just isn't for some lol. It is hard to explain my point of view, especially in this world where everyone is so work-oriented. I have a lot of respect for these people who are able to find creative ways to live without having to work or spend lots of money, and can still be happy and or content at the end of the day.

10. Trisha Wagner

Trisha WagnerNew Member

Threads:
    It's so funny because I watch that and sometimes think that I am such a cheap skate however there are a lot of things that I don't go to the extreme they do like the guy that got 6 samples of icecream and that was it lol.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have seen that show...it is a bit bizarre, as well as tacky. I mean I am all for saving money, but I think it is ridiculous to spend time filling up your ketchup bottle with ketchup packets from stores for instance. Kethup doesn't cost that much! It is an example of penny wise and pound foolish, I mean they could make more posting on postloop for instance for cash instead of spending a half hour filling up a ketchup bottle to save what? a buck?

12. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    " a penny wise and a pound foolish". That is a cool line with some wisdom. Besides, you need Internet in order to post for post loop and paying for Internet is not the cheapskate way. Unless of course you convince a neighbor to share some of their wifi or you go to places with free wifi like the library. Now I can't think of any other way on how to be a cheapskate when it comes to the Internet.

13. tiffaninichole

tiffaninicholeMember

Threads:
    I watched a few episodes but had to stop because the show made me irrationally angry. I don't fault people when they try to save money. But the lengths these people went through were just disgusting, unsanitary and ridiculous. One man rode his bike around for HOURS, going through people's trash cans to find food. When he found enough, he made some kind of disgusting second-hand dinner for his wife. It was despicable.

One man went through people's garbage looking for cards. Birthday cards, anniversary cards, etc. He would give them to his wife with the original recipient's name scratched out and her name written in its place. How insincere is that?!

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lol. It made you angry?? Hahaha. I have to agree that, yes, many of the methods are unsanitary and just disgusting. I am not on board with those people who do things like that, especially when they have family which consists of small children and such. I will never condone going through trashcans. There could be all sorts of diseases in them.

15. cnt422

cnt422New Member

Threads:
    I saw an episode where a guy took his daughter to a strip club for her sweet sixteen. He decorated the pole with streamers and covered the walls in black paper or something. He even took her out back to show her that he'd bought an absolute junker of a car for her, I think they spray painted it to cover up some damage.

16. tiffaninichole

tiffaninicholeMember

Threads:
    43635-charlton-heston-laughing--iOGX.
    LOL! That is seriously how I laughed while reading this post! A decorated stripper poles for your daughter's birthday? Way to lower her expectation of life. LMAO. And then had the nerve to spray paint a car! Was it at least shiny paint, or was is the dull kind that makes it obvious it was spray painted? LOL.

17. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen the show a number of times and I find it fascinating. Fascinating in that, from my perspective, I really don't think it's a way to live your financial life. Yes, there are people that start that way because of financial circumstances and this isn't a criticism on them. But there are a lot of people that could live fine without the extremes they are going to. Clearly it's a mindset issue that's the other side of the coin to that of shopaholics, neither of which I think are healthy. Live with moderation is my view - and at least try to enjoy it

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    LMAO!! Yeah, that is one of the only things that I don't like about some of the people in this show. I am all for being smart and saving money in ways that would seem unorthodox to those that enjoy our conveniences. But when it becomes this degrading game to you, where you are lowering expectations as well as those around you, in order to save a few pennies. Sometimes you have to weigh up the pros and cons.

19. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Yes and it was pretty disgusting sometimes. Like this middle-aged lady picked up food from the trash can from public areas and fed that repulsive food to her guests. I wouldn't be too happy knowing that. I mean, it's okay if she eats it but don't feed it to others.

20. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I watched a couple of episodes. I like to save but these people's strategies go on a whole other level, some even go to the extreme. One I do remember is that a couple even shared their tooth floss, I mean I know they kiss but tooth floss carries too many germs from between their teeth. There was also this lady who got left over food from a dumpter outside a restaurant.