Have you started your Christmas shopping?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Pocs • Sep 2, 2012.

1. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Gratefully I am finished with the bulk of my Christmas shopping. I have a few little things to get yet. They are holiday themed, so I need to wait until the holidays are closer. Most of my shopping was done online, which I love the convience.

2. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    I usually don't even start shopping til November. I know I should probably start sooner but I love all the gift sets that have during the holidays and I kind of enjoy shopping during the holidays (except for the crowds). I haven't even started a list on what I need to get, I should probably start.

3. edvisual

edvisualBanned

Threads:
    WOW. Absolutely no, I can't think of Christmas at the end of the summer, maybe at the beginning of December
    Until then, no way!

4. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Christmas I months away. You wouldn't need to buy now as there will be more promos ahead. The best time to do shoping for holiday is when malls and some establishments announces their promos, you'll save more than spending today.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I keep a 'present box' going all through the year, for Christmas and birthday presents. I buy either online or instore when I see something that would make a good gift for one of the family or a friend. If I know who is going to get the gift, I'll wrap it and label it as soon as I buy it, otherwise it stays in the box until I decide. I always buy my cards, wrapping paper and decorations in the sales immediately after Christmas and New Year anyway. I still have a few gifts to buy, but quite a lot is done.

6. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    Honestly, I don't even want to think about Christmas, seems like it was only a few months ago, and now it's back, or just around the corner. I don't have young kids to buy for anymore, but I have a 16 & 18 year old. The pressure of gift-giving, spending money during a time when times are tough for a lot of people, makes Christmas for the less fortunate, a despised holiday.

People talk about, "oh, it's all about the giving spirit," "it's the celebration of the birth of Jesus," "it's the thought that counts," and "you don't have to spend money to celebrate the occassion." All hogwash, because if your kids are in school, they have the pressure of their peers. In a month or so, we will be bombarded with commercials of families sitting aroung a roaring fire with tons of gifts. That's all well and good, but how can a child not be affected by all the advertising, the peer pressure, when it's all around them, specifically if that child may not be fortunate enough to receive a gift.

I'm going to sound like Ebenezer Scrooge here, but, Christmas BITES !

#6Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just started thinking about Christmas gifts for the family. I saw something I would like to give to my son in law. I try to keep a gift box also so that when I see something it can just go in the box, it is not just for Christmas the box also holds onto birthday gifts durng the year. I hope to be done by the end of October.

8. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    No. I do all of mine online. And give people cash for the holidays. So no Christmas shopping is necessary for me. Which means no stress and no crowded shopping malls or parking lots. HOORAH!! I only do actual shopping on Christmas for myself, my mom, and grandma. Everyone else gets gift certificates, cash, or I shop online and have the item delivered to their house.

9. JJohnston

JJohnstonNew Member

Threads:
    I only have a few people to shop for so I don't need a whole lot of time. I have done a little bit for my daughter because I got some great deals on toys through a co-op I'm a part of. As for my spouse, I probably will not shop for him until early December. I never quite know what to get him. I am looking around for ideas and if I stumble across a great deal I'll jump on it.

10. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really do Christmas shopping. Instead, I make personalized gifts for my closest friends. I think that they will appreciate my gift more if I give them something that I worked hard on doing because the sentimental value is there. Although I did bought a Christmas gift once and that was for my mother. She was the only one who I bought a gift for but I'm planning on giving her something special this Christmas and not something that I bought off the store.

11. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Something special should be cash. Everyone loves cash. Especially in this economy. Between the jobs situation, and people either being broke, close to it, or running low on money. I think if Santa just dumped a bag full of money with a dollar sign on the side, down everyone's chimney this Christmas. People would be happy with just that. Screw the flatscreen tv, xbox, etc.

12. erkan_orer

erkan_orerNew Member

Threads:
    I really cant believe people have started there Christmas shopping there is still 3 month till christmas i usually am the kind of person that leaves everything till the last minute but i still manage to get everything i need.

13. erkan_orer

erkan_orerNew Member

Threads:
    I really cant believe people have started there Christmas shopping there is still 3 month till christmas i usually am the kind of person that leaves everything till the last minute but i still manage to get everything i need.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope, I haven't started my Christmas shopping yet, since I usually do it in November, after Halloween. I also wait until the last minute to shop sometimes, because the holiday sales and bargains just keep popping up more as Christmas approaches. And I definitely want to take advantage of the best deals. :eek:

15. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Only once did I get all my Christmas shopping done this early. The only problem with that is you do miss some good sales and you take the risk or the person you bought a special gift for buying for themselves before Christmas. :D This year, though, money will be tighter than ever, so I will not be shopping early.

16. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I started mines last week. I am putting things on lay way and also buying online the reason so that way instead of spending bulks of money at once i'm doing it little by little.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only part of Christmas I have done is that I bought gift wrap, ribbons, tags and Christmas cards last year at the after Christmas sales. I haven't started the actual shopping because it's September and I feel mentally and financially unprepared to do Christmas shopping. Of course Walmart has Christmas trees up already, right next to the back-to-school supplies display.

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    No way!

As I said in another thread, this time of year is super busy for me. I have lots of birthdays and holidays to prepare for first. Tonight and tomorrow both include birthday festivities, for example, and Halloween and Thanksgiving are big ones for everybody. I can't even think about Christmas yet.

19. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    No, I have not started Christmas shopping. I will be starting around the end of November.

20. Jailynnsgrandma

JailynnsgrandmaMember

Threads:
    I have started but still have a long way to go. I mainly bought toys for the grandkids. I still have to buy my kids, husband, a couple of friends and my three dogs. I am going to get the kids and husband tablets and some clothes for my son and jewelry for my daughter. I also still want to get some more clothes for the grandkids. Now that I have typed it out, I still really have a lot of shopping to do. I better start working more.