Have you stopped using your land line phone?

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by jewel777 • Jun 22, 2012.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We still have a land line phone in our household, although it rarely ever gets used anymore. It rings from time to time, some of our older relatives still prefer calling us through the land line. I have never really thought about it much before seeing your post, but I suppose we will have to give it up soon, maybe in a few years, because no one in the house really uses it anymore because long conversations nowadays are being made in Skype calls or chat.

2. mimi8zm

mimi8zmMember

Threads:
    I had the landline cut a few years back and I have no plans of getting one back. The mobile phone is so much more convenient to use. If I do need to call a landline, I use my mom's. She still finds it better than her mobile since she only uses the cellphone for text messaging.

3. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I still have a landline and use it to call premium numbers, which works out more expensive when calling from my mobile. I also have a good deal from my landline service provider to make long-distance calls. So, not thinking of getting rid of that for now.

4. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I personally don't use a landline anymore, but my older relatives insist on keeping it around so they can make phone calls internationally for cheaper. I really don't get why we can't just get rid of it. It's so much more convenient to call through a mobile line and we can finally get those dumb telemarketers off our backs.

5. Beetler76

Beetler76Member

Threads:
    I know that they sell cell phone boosters. For example: if you go to amazon and search for att cell phone signal extender. They cost quite a bit of money, but they can increase your signal by 25x. Here is an example of one.

6. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Same here (I thought I'd sound weird to say I still had one!). Land line phone bills and cellphone bills are VERY different; calling from cellphones is too damn expensive, especially if you don't have a plan or something like that. We have 2 wireless phones in my house, and use them on a daily basis, either for making or receiving calls.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have my landline and it makes sense for me. I'm a recluse that works mainly from home, so it makes sense for me to get my calls at home.
    I also use the landline for my DSL internet. I have a good bundle with my landline and DSL so I have no reason to change at this time.

8. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I have it because it is part of my bundle and somehow my package would cost more if I got rid of it...I didn't have a phone hooked up until today though and we only had to use if because my wife's cell phone sucks and she needed to call me. The only thing they are good for is to call the cell company for troubleshooting your mobile.

9. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    Nope. I still have my land line phone. I have a prepaid phone so I know I wouldn't be able to avoid maxing out on my minutes. I have a $99 triple play special with my phone, internet and cable so that rate isn't too bad. I like my land line phone because I can screen calls and let it go to voice mail and check the messages later without having to pay additional minutes.

10. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    I stopped using my land line years ago. I use my cellphone all the time, for calls, texting as well as emails. I have a postpaid connection for my cellphone with a huge credit limit, plus I get 1000 SMS and 1000 call minutes free every month. So, I can't say that I miss my land line 'cause that's so not the case.

11. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    More and more people are discontinuing having a land line. Just about everyone has a cell phone, and you are going to pay more money overall by having both than by upgrading your cell phone plan, unless you are someone who uses the phone a lot during the weekdays. To me, that seems like it would be the deciding factor, although your overall lifestyle really does play a part in your decision.

12. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    I only use a landline at work, where we communicate inside the company with it for free. Otherwise, it has become an obsolete communication solution, and you can get them for free, with no subscription when you get internet via fiber. Thinking about it, I don't even see much of the old public phones around town :)

13. xStylezx

xStylezxMember

Threads:
    I haven't had a landline in many years. I keep a cellphone most of the time, and generally so does everyone I know. I also remember thinking a while back about how you rarely see any old payphones around any more. They just phased out with cellphones I guess.

14. Brendan

BrendanMember

Threads:
    I am a college student, and don't even have a land line in my dorm. Everybody up here just uses their cell phones. Back home, we have both cell phones and one land line. We have only kept the land line because a few family members have memorized it over the years, and refuse to call our cell phones!

15. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I have been tempted to do so. They charge you a lot of money for the line itself, taxes and fees, and the like. I make most of my calls via cellphone. But I keep a landline phone just in case. But the only reason I have the phone mostly is because I signed up with verizon FIOS. But I hardly ever use it, yet get charged alot for just having it installed!

16. redheadinlove

redheadinloveNew Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, I can't remember ever having a landline at my dad's house. Once I started staying home alone we got a cell phone to keep at the house and then I got my own. My moms house still has a landline but it just collects all the debt collectors calls.

17. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had a landline phone in years. I rely soley on my cell phone. We have a family plan and each family member has a cell phone..the kids each have one with certain restrictions set up. Having 4 phones that we rely on for sole means of communication is cheaper than having a couple of cell phones and a landline. It just made sense for us. Plus, nobody ever used the landline other than telling telemarketers that we weren't interested. LOL

18. clay1224

clay1224Banned

Threads:
    Yes I have gotten rid of my home phone. I use my cell phone everyday and there's no point to having a home phone anymore.

19. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't even remember when the last time was when i used a landline phone i don't own one i use my cell phone and just about everyone i know now uses a cell phone i don't think i have one friend that has a landline phone i just think cell phones are better cause with a house phone you always miss calls and what not and with my cellphone i never miss an important call or anything.

20. TheMightyEddy

TheMightyEddyMember

Threads:
    Well I've always liked the landline phone as I felt like it would make much more stable calls. But back on topic, I still have both.