Have You Swapped Your Cable for Netflix?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by LindaKay • Apr 22, 2013.

1. Shiditios

ShiditiosNew Member

Threads:
    I have both, but only the other half of my family really uses them. I tend to just watch TV shows online and what not. It's hard to find them a lot of the time, but no commercials and nice quality.

2. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    I convinced my fiancee to cut the cord shortly after I moved in when I saw her cable bill vs how many channels she actually got for that price. We haven't looked back since. Although it was nice to have programming already curated for you (it gets overwhelming sometimes to pick out something when "everything" is available to you) I have no complaints with our little Roku. The only sport I watch is NFL, so I can pick most of those games up OTA in HD, and if it's on ESPN we have the WatchESPN app which my fiancee's mother has kindly shared access to. Any games on the NFL Network, I'd have to watch at a bar or a friend's house which I definitely don't mind!

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I just go ahead and get both. Netflix really isn't all that expensive just to have as an extra viewing service, especially if you're just buying streaming. While they do have a lot of shows on there, it takes awhile for new stuff to be put on Netflix. I don't feel it's worth the wait for it to be on Netflix.

4. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I use Netflix, but my main way of watching movies is through a site called Movie 4k. This site is free and has a way better selection of movies. The only downfall is that some movie don't stream as good as others. As far as cable, I've never used for movies.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We haven't cut the cord yet because our internet is good but not at all that dependable yet, especially after storms which we experience at least once every year and it usually takes a while for the situation to normalize. Granted, it never goes out for long whenever it does but it does tend to get disconnected for a few minutes every now and again and it gets kind of irritating and I'm guessing it would be especially so if we relied on it solely for media entertainment.

6. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Netflix is cool, I would definitely make the switch, although I have not done so. You mention Dish, well, as opposed to Cable TV, I think Dish is the better option as you do not have to deal with constant repeats of the same programs frequently and though it is more expensive than Cable, it gives you value for your money, but the Dish as opposed to Netflix, hmmm, I'd have to say, Netflix, for me, I'm not a big TV person, so having the Dish would be a waste, I already got rid of cable twice although I now still have it, In short and in conclusion, I believe that if you have Netflix, you cannot run out of things to watch, and instead of planning what to watch, all you have to do is pick what to watch :)

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm much happier with Netflix, especially for the price. I got tired of paying premium prices for old movies, re-runs, and infomercials 24/7. It's annoying to have 100+ channels, paying a not so cheap price for those channels, and rarely being able to find anything good to watch. Netflix is the better value, in my opinion.

8. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I have both I don't think that Netflix can be a substitute for cable there are shows I like to watch on live TV that obviously won't be on Netflix. But for what it is I think that Netflix is great plus I have had it free for 6 months with my cable so I really can't complain. I will pay for it happily when it runs out because I think its worth it. There are some shows such as Orange is the New Black. That I can't do without.

9. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I have absolutely switched from cable to Netflix. About a year ago I was watching Breaking Bad on Netflix and realized I spent almost all my time on Netflix and on the rare occasions where I switched to the tv I only changed channels and never watched anything. This lead me to cancel my cable subscription and start paying a bit more for faster internet, it was a great decision as far as I'm concerned.

10. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I have both at this moment, but I use Netflix much more. I am thinking of getting rid of my cable, but it might be a few months before I do that. I've already cut my cable bill because I downgraded by removing a lot of features. I know it will save even more money if I cancel it, but there are still some things that I enjoy watching on cable. If I can find someone else to watch some of my shows then I will be removing cable soon.