Have You Switched All Your Lights To Leds?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Zyni • May 19, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We finally changed the last few, the small ones that go in a ceiling fan. They were hard to find, due to the base of the bulbs. They are not cheap, but hopefully they will pay for themselves eventually, so it's worth it.

They don't even get hot when you touch them, so clearly they aren't using as much power, which is great. I don't know if it will make a significant difference in the light bill right away, but I'm glad we finally found some.

Do you like LEDs? Do you really think they'll last as long as claim?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We started using LED lights not so long ago, around the end of 2015 after the construction of our second house was completed. Although we have gradually stopped buying fluorescent light bulbs, which are not as long-lasting as LED but comparatively cheaper, we have yet to convert of all our lights to LED. After our existing fluorescent lamps expire, we might replace them with LED, one after another, in accordance with the family's available budget.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We have changed most of our lights into led bulbs and it has given us substantial savings over the past few years. The difference is not that much and I'm sure we probably just end up wasting that amount on somewhere else but it's savings nonetheless and if you calculate how much you'll be saving in the long run it definitely puts things into perspective. This along with a combination of other small changes ought to bring about a good amount of savings for any household so I'd highly recommend it.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we bought this old house in 2001, all our lights were the cylindrical fluorescent lamps which gives more light than the yellow bulbs. After some 5 years or so, we slowly shifted to the CFL - the white bulbs which has no more case called ballast. Now that LED is getting into fashion, we have checked it in the market. However, the cost is still prohibitive to us, about 5 times the cost of the CFL. Maybe we can just wait until the cost of the LED goes down to a practical level.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Having switched over to LEDs when they were first introduced way back in the late 1990s - in answer to the question - yes and yes, they do.

In fact - as the majority of LEDs that I've used over the last decade - have all consumed around 40 - 50% less electricity than any other type of bulb and have a life span way longer than I could ever have imagined possible - meaning - I haven't as yet had to replace any of my bulbs - even though they've had regular use for long periods of time - since I first put them in - some 12 years ago - not only was the switch extremely worthwhile in every sense - but they are something that I would highly recommend.

Especially as - although initially a little more expensive than other bulbs - the savings made are huge.

6. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I wholeheartedly encourage it. The energy efficiency and lifetime is pretty high, please never buy incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs. These create a lot
    of pollution and their lifetime is laughably low, don't get allured by the lower prices. LED investment really worth it, I already changed all my light sources with those two lead semiconductor marvels.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's good to know. I have some that have lasted quite long, but some of the claims just seem a bit much. Like the ones we just got that claim they will last 13 years with typical use. I thought, really? Since yours have lasted so long, maybe I'm in luck.

The specialty ones that we just got were more than "a little more expensive." They cost about 4x as much as the old ones, so I'm hoping it makes a significant difference. The others weren't too bad, but the fan lights were pricey. I think it's worth it to use less power though, and I hope that reflects in the bill. I think there will be some savings, just by not having to replace them as often.

8. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I have switched the majority of the lights to LED bulbs but I really ahve yet to see any significant savings. I think that it might have come at at time when the costs were bound to go up anyways so they kind of got hidden a bit, but maybe I am also looking for something that is not there. I do think that they use less electricity though, and we will see if they last. So far so good, though.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like LED lights and they really do last as long as they claim. You can almost forget replacing your LED light bulbs for they seem to last for so long. They do go out though and the cheapest store to buy them from locally is

10. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I am in a gradual process of replacing the usual light bulbs with LED bulbs. I believe I have seen a bit of change in the electricity consumption rate, however, I am not able to give a testimony in relation to the longevity of these bulbs as yet. I suspect that this may depend on the quality of the bulb because it seems that some are of better manufactured than others.