Have you thought or bought a personalized license plate?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by MrsJones • Jan 6, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I love Jeeps and when I bought my first Jeep Cherokee I christened it with a personalized license plate. I just had fun with it when deciding on what I wanted it to say. I didn't realize how much it was going to cost but it was worth it when I did the math (dividing the cost by 12 months) it can to $5 and some change. I could handle that. Have you had you license plates personalized?

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    When I first received my drivers license and bought my first car I had personalized plates with my family nickname. The name was misread so many times that, down the road when I bought a new car, I just applied for general plates. I really have nothing against personalized plates; in fact, I enjoy the various different plates I see as I'm driving, but it's just not something I put a lot of thought into anymore. I used to be the same way with my checks. I had to make sure I ordered just the right checks. Now I just take the cheapest, easiest option! What would you like your Jeep plates to say?

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My plates had ONUP2IT. Meaning I worked my way on up to it meaning the Jeep. No one understood it but me I didn't care, it was mine and very personal to me.

4. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I get it, and I like it! Nothing at all wrong with being proud of your accomplishments. Rock on!

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah you mean those vanity plate numbers? Over here they can be costly, so I don't think I would want one when I get to have a car of my own because it's expensive. But if I can afford it, then for sure I would want one, since I love being unique.

6. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Nah, I dislike custom license plates from the DMV, because it makes you more susceptible to be harassed by police and crazy people who want to do you harm, injury, or wrong. I prefer creating my own "private" plates, because I don't require DMV's property on my property, since the Agency and its Agents tend to position that they own my property for some reason without ever putting a vested interest into my property. For example, my brother stationed in the Navy at Jacksonville, Florida USA, told me that the DMV over there doesn't have a advisory to buy and use a form of registration sticker, meaning DMV Agents know it's all voluntary.

However, I do believe people [including I] need insurance or indemnification for their vehicle [tangible property], because people do or will get into accidents and most cannot afford to compensate the people he/she has harmed, injured, or wronged.

7. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    There's definitely something lovely about personalized plates because it makes your vehicle an extension of yourself. Thus, people can further see your personality even though you're inside your car. However, I haven't tried getting my own personalized license plate yet because they cost a hefty amount here in the Philippines. I also can't think of something that I'd like to put on my license plate so for the meantime, I'm good with my default license plate. And I'm not keen on getting a personalized one any time soon. :)

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's a bit of a double edged sword. I like the idea of people celebrating their accomplishments and getting personalised plates. Sadly, I've not had chance to do that yet myself as I've never be able to afford a car and I've obviously not made it yet to warrant something like that. I always look at those plates and think, hmm, there's someone who's ARRIVED LOL

On the flip side though, because they do stand out like a sore thumb, I think they can expose you to potential crime. Everybody assumes people with custom plates must have money, and you just know that some chancer will try his/her luck.

9. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I like decorative license plates - I have had several - but I am not a huge fan of the ones people get with their names on them - they just look tacky to me.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I did for my first car! I got one that said CRZY J (because hey, back then, "crazy" was the word I was called...not "quirky," hehe).

I don't have a personalized plate on my current one, though, because I leased the car and didn't have a choice. The license is technically in someone else's name and they put it straight on my car before I left the parking lot.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I was a superstar or [business] mogul then a personalized license plate would be my way of showing I was not part of the riff-raff. However since I'm an average Joe and would like to [in deeds and words] associate myself with average Joes like me, and for that reason I'll stick with standard license plates.

12. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah only once for me. Back when I was into sport cars, I had a Toyota Celica 2000 GTS. So I decided to get a plate that very few people would be able to guess. It was 00VVTLI, which stands for 2000, Variable valve timing with lift and intelligence. It was the special motor they made for GTS versions.