Have You Tried Using Avast Anti-Virus?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by sidney • Sep 26, 2014.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What was your experience with it? I tried to install it but Avg detected a malware that's called "Malsign Open Candy" and when I researched about it, it's like they gather your data for advertising purposes. And I was alarmed by the comment on the AVG threat page that it can enable other 3rd party vendors to send their virus to you, so I immediately uninstalled it. So for those Avast users, have you ever noticed something different or have experienced any trouble since you started using Avast?

#1Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  2. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I have in the past and absolutely hated it. The protection it provided stunk and I noticed considerable speed increase when I switched over to a program called Malware Bytes and Norton anti-virus. Between those 2, my computer has been running great and never had any problems with viruses since. If you can, I'd switch out of avast as soon as you can. I'd honestly prefer using the Windows Defender than it.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I will also agree with others in saying that it is probably the worst free anti virus that I've had. It slowed my computer down and was constantly giving me unwanted notifications. lavasoft's Ad-aware is a brilliant free anti-virus that I use, although it focuses more on adware.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see, I guess the reason why your pc's slowed down is because they monitor your web activity and they send them to 3rd parties, and I read that they change your browser's settings too. Plus they also display other ads of partner software companies. I also read that they are sneaky in doing this, so I guess I made the right decision in uninstalling it and just sticking with AVG. That malware called "Open Candy" seems to be really adware and not a false positive alarm at all. I already have Malware Bytes, the free one, and I will try the other software suggestions that you guys said.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always hated AVG.
    This is strange. I wonder if this is why my computer seems sluggish at times. However on occasion it can still lag when I have Avast turned off but I use it because techies always tell you it's one of the best. Maybe I'll go back to Avira. That was another recommendation.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use anti-virus software on my machine but I do know people who've been using Avast all their lives [or at least since they started using their computers]. Try telling them of another anti-virus and they'll give you a million reasons why Avast is the best ant-virus. Since I've used some of their computers I can attest [that] their systems were clean and when I inserted my pen drive, if there were viruses in it, they'd be detected.

It may not be the best Anti-virus but it isn't bad either.

#6Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  7. Maniak21

Maniak21New Member

Threads:
    I didn't try Avast, and I think I won't. I have not used an anti-virus program since I bought myself the back then new computer, it was 4 years ago. If you know what to be careful about, what not to download or accept from others, you won't have problems with viruses. And I think that more and more people drop the conception of having an anti-virus, when they can be the anti-virus themselves. I only see the good of an anti-virus when you need to clear your PC of malware, adware and other kinds of malicious contents.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I tried it once and I didn't like it. I don't know if it's because of my computer but when I installed it it felt very sluggish and Avast keeps on doing something like blocking sites and putting every bit of third party DLL file in quarantine. At first I thought it was just it's way of maximum security but turns out it still fails when it comes to malware.

9. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I've used Avast once and i got the free version. I thought it was okay. I love the interface mostly, the design looks really classy and cool. Also it does clean up the system thoroughly and it doesn't lag the system. However, I've discovered Nod32 Eset antivirus and i sort of like it better than Avast so I'm now using it. So far, so good. :)

10. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried it on my CPU and android phone. I think Avast is a overall good anti-virus program, but like most similar softwares, it pops up with annoying reminders and constant updating that interferes with my other CPU activities i.e. writing a essay and all of a sudden, the bloody Avast icon pops up and distracts me from writing something important. This is why I only use Malwarebytes nowadays, because it rarely does updates and annoying pop-ups, but its scanning and anti-virus capabilities are just as great as many other memory consuming softwares.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    AVG doesn't slow down your pc unless it's scanning or updating, so you need to allot a time where you won't use the pc if you want to scan it. As for the updates, I don't mind a 15 to 20 min. lag on my activities whenever it updates.

12. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried this before, and I didn't like it. I felt like it couldn't detect even the most basic of viruses. I am now using Avira. It hasn't failed me yet.

13. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe a little off-topic, but at this day and age, there's no reason to use any 3rd party antivirus. Microsoft Security Essentials work just fine against viruses, and if you couple it with script and ad blocking in your browser, plus some common sense in your browsing habits, you are pretty much all set. Plus, having everything first-party is always a nice perk. :)

14. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It would slow my computer down whenever it was on even if wasn't scanning or updating . Plus it seemed to miss a lot of viruses compared to the other programs. I just really didn't feel it was efficient enough.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see, it also automatically scans your pc in the background though so you might want to check that. But if AVG really slows your pc down, then I guess it's not a good match for your pc then. As for me I have been using AVG since 2006 until now and I have no complaints except for some false positive detections.

16. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have used Avast anti virus in the past for my desktop computer. I had no problem with it at the time. If there are any issues, it is mainly because your computer is just too wimpy to handle the process of a heavy computer anti virus software. Microsoft has taken care of the problem. Another user has already pointed out the benefits if Microsoft Security Essentials. There really is no need to buy any additional security for your computer when you can get your protection for FREE through Microsoft. Microsoft has sure won over a lot of new fans for this simple and effective service.

17. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I have been using the free version of Avast for 4 years now I think. I have never had a single problem with it. Ever. I'm pretty certain that Avast isn't the problem with those who say that their computer becomes sluggish after installing it. I have installed Avast on several computers, even on my sister's old Atom netbook and it works just fine. The only thing I don't use is their browser add-on. I have never used it-not even once. So I can't say anything about the add-on causing problems. But as for the anti-virus itself, it's something I can confidently recommend to anyone.

And oh, anti-virus software aren't perfect. Some detect a lot of false positives. So it is best to do your own research and of course, be careful when using the net.

18. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using Avast for a few years now and had no issues. The protection it offers plus AddBlock and a good knowledge of what to browse and install resulted in a clean system with no virus threats. What you choose is all a matter of preference- some people hold sensitive info so they pay for stronger protection while others like me, that use the web for light browsing, are perfectly content with Avast and a free version.

19. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Avast is great compared to other ANTI-VIRUS programs. However, you really don't need an anti-virus program if you know what you're doing. You're better off getting a far lighter and less resource-intensive anti-malware program that actively monitors your computer. Smart users aren't afraid of viruses because they know how to avoid them. Malware is a little easier to catch, so those programs are far better options.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But sometimes I visit a website and it has a pop-up, then AVG will say that there was a malware and it is now quarantined. So I think if you browse the net you are still vulnerable to getting viruses.