Have You Tried Washing Your Hair Using Soap?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by sidney • May 13, 2014.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this is a good way to save money on shampoo, don't you think? I tend to just use soap to shampoo my hair when the shampoo runs out and I don't have any stock left at home. But once I drop by the store, I go back to using shampoo again. Right now, I just thought that replacing your shampoo with soap could really save you money in the long run. What do you think? Have you tried using soap as a substitute for shampoo? Why or why not?

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would think they made shampoo for a reason so you shouldn't use soap. I don't know. I can just imagine your hair being kinda sticky. In fact I accidentally put body wash in my hair once and it did seem like it wasn't a good feeling in my hair.

3. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Depends upon the soap. There are shampoo bars made specifically FOR hair but look like soap bars. There is also a thing called Castille Soap you can find in the natural health stores. You can use if for a lot of things, it's basically a liquid soap. Shampoo is one thing you can use it for. It comes in scents, but I prefer to get the unscented so I can use essential oils in it and come up with my own scents. Sometimes I have used it as an all over body soap.

4. robinegg

robineggMember

Threads:
    I tried it once or twice when I was out of shampoo or when I went to a hotel that didn't supply shampoo. It wasn't a pleasant experience, and I won't be doing it again. One bottle of shampoo is only a couple of dollars and it lasts me a long time. One way to save money is washing your hair every other day or every three days. Washing it every single day actually damages the hair and dry out the scalp, and it's good to allow the natural oils to take care your your hair before you wash it all away.

5. Nickchick

Threads:
    Yes I only wash my hair twice a week because if I wash it too much I tend to have to scratch like crazy. Also it wastes water and time.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I have never tried washing my hair using soap instead of shampoo and don't think I will try it. I would imagine the soap would be very drying and not do a very good job penetrating the strands and oils on the scalp given the consistency. Looking at it from a strictly financial standpoint I think you would be better off buying a very inexpensive shampoo over using soap to wash your hair.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I actually don't see a big difference between various soaps and shampoos.

It's the conditioner where I see the difference. I would rather buy super cheap shampoo or shampoo and then spend more money on the conditioner itself so that I can get the end result I want.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see, I live in a tropical country, so it's common over here to take a bath everyday because it's always hot in here. I agree that using soap on your hair instead of shampoo feels different, it kind of feels dry and my hair feels squeaky after I washed it. But yeah, shampoo is cheap anyway, so I will stick to using that, but when I run out of shampoo and I have no replacement yet, for sure I will use the good 'ol soap again. ;)

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! I've tried that before when I ran out of shampoo! It was so sticky and rough on the hair that I ended up pouring a hand full of conditioner in it to smooth it out. I wouldn't recommend using soap on hair ever.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, when I didn't have a shampoo and I needed to badly wash it. It didn't feel good. My hair got rough and not slippy. It even had a bad smell when I sweat. I would just have not used anything at all.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't care about how my hair feels after a wash. For the ladies I suppose that's different but normally I keep my hair real short. The effect of shampoo or soap would hardly be felt. That's why I go with whatever is available. If there's shampoo I use it [that happens when I have lady guests visiting] but when there isn't any, I use a soap.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to do this when I was younger because I was taught by the people in my household that it was okay, and I guess it was, but now that I'm older, I've gotten a lot more picky and I tend not to do it anymore. I'd be open to it if there was really no other option, but I rarely run out of shampoo because I always make sure I have replacements once the previous container has nearly run out. I'm not sure whether or not using soap for your hair is healthy, but I imagine shampoo is much better since even just the feel of it is a lot more comfortable for the hair than soap.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I agree that the feel of shampoo on hair is very different from how soap feels on your hair. I also agree with Denis, like if a person is bald or semi-bald like Chris Brown, you won't notice the difference when you use shampoo and soap on your hair. So I think for people with very short hair, they could live with that.

14. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I accidentally used soap once in my hair, and it wasn't good. It felt slimy and gross. It just doesn't have the same effect as shampoo. I don't wash my hair everyday, so I really don't go through shampoo a crazy amount. Therefore, I really don't care to save some money there.

15. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I think that it depends on the soap you use. As mentioned above shampoo does feel better, I was told that soap strips the protein and makes your hair dry and brittle from ones hair if uses. I think that only if you have to I suggest other than that use shampoo

16. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I had to use it once when I went out and forgot my shampoo, I didn't like it very much and my hair became greasy pretty quickly. I had to go through a few days feeling icky, horrible feeling. I think my hair likes shampoo more lol, though it could have also been the type of soap that I used, I forgot the brand though :( I have to use conditioner as well for my hair or else it goes all frizzy and tangly :/

17. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I use soap on my hair all the time. I only use Dove, pink or white bar. It seems to leave my hair moisturized and silky. Dove has a creamy texture that does well with my hair without drying it out. I save money using this technique.

18. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    So do you get in the shower and only get your body wet, or do you still get your hair wet, just don't apply shampoo?
    I've heard this many times but I can't figure out the logistics :)

19. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    I've washed my hair with soap before. Usually in the period after a haircut when my hair is really short. It's actually not that bad. You just have to remember to not use that much when you lather/apply. Certainly use less soap than you would when you use shampoo.

20. Nickchick

Threads:
    I put my hair up with a hairband when I get into the shower. It probably still gets a little wet but not enough to be significant.