Have You Used Any Of The Food Sharing Apps?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Sep 7, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard of them but never really used them.

Food sharing apps apparently were created with the primary purpose of preventing food wastage. Some apps will get you great discounts on food, up to 50% of what they cost while some also promise free food (left overs mostly).

If you haven't used these apps yet to save money, would you use them to get some free food or heavily discounted groceries?

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is something that I have never heard of, @Denis Hard@Denis Hard , but would probably use if it worked for local stores selling food at closeout prices.
    Kroger always has some of their items marked down, as a manager special, and it is items that have an expiration date. I buy those as often as possible and always look for these special buys when I am shopping. I go through the online coupons and add anything we might possibly buy onto my card, then when these items are on closeout, and I buy them at the sale price , I also get the coupon discount.
    Can you tell us more about these food-sharing apps, what they are called, and how it works ?

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The apps "connect neighbours with each other and local shops so that surplus food can be shared.".

How they work?

The apps:

Olio -

Foodhsaring -

(for Germans).
    Yo No Desperdicio — (for Spaniards).

There are more of them apps, I'm sure.

#3Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is an awesome idea, and one that would help people all over if it were done. A similar thing is already happening where groceries and even restaurants donate leftover food to the homeless/rescue missions. They also sometimes give it to foodbanks.
    When Bobby and I helped at a homeless mission, one of the things that we did was go pick up donated food, and it really helped out at the mission. things like bread, and other items with use-by dates that will spoil soon are great for this kind of an effort.
    We have actually coordinated between the small local grocery down the street and the rescue mission here. And when they have outdated food, they tell Bobby and he calls the mission to come and pick it up.
    I think that the neighbors food-sharing is a great idea also, because people who have a garden often have extra produce, especially thinga like summer squash and zuchinni.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It sounds like these apps primarily cater to Europeans. I don't know that they would be available for those in the United States. However, it sounds like a good idea. It is not only grocery stores or supermarkets that have surplus, but also farmers and those who have gardens. Many people have a roof over their head, they don't have to be homeless but could still use some food assistance. Around here food banks get surplus items.

6. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Like "happy" said, I think this is also my first time hearing about these apps. It sounds like a good idea, and if one is on a budget, it sounds like a great idea.
    So much food is wasted these days, it is good that people are trying things to alleviate some of that waste. Definitely worth checking out.
    I would love to come across some great discounts on food, especially with the holidays:) coming up.