Have your pet ever had lice?

Discussion in Pets started by whnuien • May 12, 2014.

1. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Once I visited a friend who was currently living with her family. They had a dog and a cat and were very attached to each other. My friend would stroke her cat's whenever it passed her when we were talking. That was when I saw something fallen on the floor from the cat's body. I took a close look and found out it was a lice. I was so afraid then because I had a long hair and to have the thought that it might gets to my head was horrible.

Have your pet ever had lice? What did you do to get rid of it?

2. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of pets having lice, just fleas. While I don't own a pet, my mom has three beautiful Siamese cats that are very well took care of and get treated for everything under the sun as a precaution. I'd hope I never run into a pet with lice.

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had lice on my pets, but my parent's dog had fleas and I took her to the vet.
    Not really sure what the difference between lice and fleas but at least the vet said fleas though, not lice.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Well the good news is, lice are host-specific:

That means, human lice only lives on humans. Dog lice only lives on dogs, etc.

5. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    Wow I didn't now there was such a thing as dog lice! So does that mean I can't catch it from my dog? I will have to be more watchful of this in the future. I treat my dog or fleas with Apple Cidar Vinager. It is great or the coat and it repells the fleas, and possibly lice too I hope!

6. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    My dog has never had lice, nor have I ever heard of animals having head lice either. Are you sure it wasn't a flee. Head lice and flees do look similar. Have you told your friend that their cat had a pest on it? If not you may want to tell them so they can treat it.

It is easy to treat. You can do it with apple cider vinegar. Or you can also put eucalyptus oil on the pet to kill the lice/fleas and keep them away. You can pass that on because it is natural and chemical free.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We had a lot of pets before and they did get a lot of lice regularly. What's bad was that I often even used the dogs as pillows while watching TV so I'm just extremely lucky that I never caught their lice myself. We don't have any more pets now, so all I have to go by is my past experience, but back then, we used to manually pick out the lice from our dogs for some reason. I'm sure there are shampoos that will take care of this a lot easier, but I guess my parents just didn't trust them or maybe they just weren't available back in the day.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have had pets since I was very young, and luckily, none of them had lice, only fleas and ticks. This is actually the 1st time I have heard of a pet having lice, and thankfully, it's not transferable to humans.

9. lionzfire122

lionzfire122Member

Threads:
    I am pretty sure my dog has had some kind of lice. Or perhaps it was non contagious mites. I had to get him on treatment.

Maybe if your dog has lice you could think about letting him get super dirty! I know lice love clean hair right?