Having to work on Christmas!

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by dreamseer • Dec 24, 2013.

1. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    How do you all feel about people having to work on Christmas day? Especially at retail stores that just want to make that last minute "dollar"? I am in the home-health care field and I have to work on Christmas. But that's only for 2 hours in the morning to get the man I take care of up and ready to visit with his family. I don't mind this at all, because it is all in the spirit of the holiday, but to have to work just so some big corporation can make more money would make me mad!!

2. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I think that it's ridiculous that people can't spend time with family and have to work. I use to work in retail and I used to be so mad and kind of sad working the holidays. Me and my family always do like traditional things during the holidays and it used to suck that i couldn't participate. But I think now more stores like Walmart are closed during Christmas but you do have some stores that just want to make a quick buck. I think during the holidays people should be able to be off on those days. Thank God I work for the city, I'm off every holiday.

3. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really mind if it's only a couple of hours and I get compensated accordingly. Think about it this way, your sacrifice will allow many other people a better Christmas. In a way, you're helping people so it's Christmas think positively.

4. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Those people who work on Christmas often serve those last minute people who may not have been able to get out earlier. So I think its not only for the "big corporations" but the consumer who benefits. There are also those who may not celebrate the same holidays that are willing to work the shifts. I think if it is all kept in perspective, there are reasons for keeping staffed not only in retail but many other business.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was one Christmas where I didn't get paid until Christmas Eve, so I had no choice but to shop at the last minute because of my paycheck. That year I was grateful that CVS, Kmart and Walgreen's were all open on Christmas Day. People have different reasons for having to do their shopping at the last minute, so the stores that are open are a lifesaver for many people.

6. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I wish people didn't have to work on Christmas Day.

This holiday SHOULD be about family and not how much crap we give each other. I think if society would shift their view of Christmas, then a lot of retailers would shut down the day before because they would know no one would be in their stores.

headdesk-500x400.

7. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's ridiculous that people are required to work on Christmas. Christmas is an important holiday and a day when people like to spend time with their families. It is nice to sometimes have stores open for emergencies, but employees should be able to decide on their own whether they want to work on Christmas day or not.

8. okteve

okteveNew Member

Threads:
    I think if you want to work on Christmas it's your prerogative but I don't like the idea of people working long hours instead of being with family if they are forced to - and certainly if they can't choose their own hours.
    I mean, not everyone celebrates Christmas, and it's usually not an all thing anyway for us.

And I can't deny I'm one of those last-minute panicked gifters who second-guesses or thinks the stocking is looking a little sad and empty, or a lonely xmas gift card or bottle of wine needs a supplementary ~something~ ... :)

9. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    Ehhh people CHOOSE to be in the retail profession, fully aware of the holidays they may or may not have to work. I do NOT ship on the holidays, but had I chose that profession, I would not find k it fair to complain.

10. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't have to work Christmas but I did had to work on New Year it didn't last long , the day went kinda fast, I cooked new years night so I was able to bring some lunch with me, Guess I be working year round that what grandmother use to say.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I worked at restaurant one Christmas morning, it was fun. The people that came in to get breakfast were friendly and happy, it was only for a few hours. I think it is a mindset thing. If you are angry about having to be there you will not be happy and time will go by slowly on the other hand if you are friendly and happy to be there the day will go by quickly. It was my choice to be there that day.

12. fruii29

fruii29Member

Threads:
    I have no problem working during the holidays. I guess, the down side is, you can't get to be with your family. But my company offers incentive pay during these days so I don't have any problem witg that. I work in contact center so we are also open 24/7. The company needs us to support the customers, that's why they are gjving out these benefits. As long as you are well compensated, I don't think there will be problems about that.

13. smlewis00

smlewis00Member

Threads:
    Dreamseer, I think it is wonderful that you help others! What a blessing you surely have been to that gentleman to help him get ready on Christmas to see his family! I think that is wonderful and I respect that you were willing to do that.
    For jobs like in-home care, and the nature of helping others, I wouldn't mind to have to work on Christmas. With that being said, I have worked my fair share of retail jobs. I think it is very unfair that employees in the fast food and retail industry are scheduled to work on Christmas IF they do not wish to. I think it is important to spend time with your family, especially during the holidays.
    I think it should be optional to work the holidays. Some people do not celebrate Christmas and would rather work. Perhaps companies could try to cater to individuals who do not wish to work on Christmas.

14. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I don't honestly see a problem with it. I mean there are a lot of people out there, me included that don't really celebrate Christmas (Not religious either, just don't celebrate it much) so for us why not work and cater to everyone that needs stuff on Christmas day? Depending on what country you're from there's a chance you'll get 1.5x or 2x your pay because of it being a public holiday.

15. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I think it some cases you can get up to 4x normal pay, these are usually restaurants though. I often wonder if emergency services etc get extra pay, as it's not optional. I think the best system is where people will take turns working Christmas, often one year on one year off.

16. 4justice

4justiceNew Member

Threads:
    I can understand if you have a family why you wouldn't want to work on Christmas. But aside from being a holiday, it's still a day nonetheless. Time still flows, things still need to be done. The world doesn't cease to function just because it's Christmas or any other holiday.

So while yeah it sucks, it's also understandable that some people may have to work on Christmas.