Health Insurance

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Alexandoy • Nov 23, 2016.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Health insurance is very expensive here and it is a big question on getting health insurance or not. There was a time that I bought a health card for 1 year and I was not able to use it because I did not get sick. Thinking that I am healthy enough so I do not buy health insurance anymore maybe for 10 years already. But since I am already a senior now, I have been contemplating if health insurance is already imperative for me. Last June, I had taken a laboratory test and was found to have high cholesterol level.

Any opinion on this?

2. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Here, we don't have much choice at the moment. If you don't have health insurance, you get fined when you do your taxes.

I think it's definitely worth looking into if your lab work indicates potential health issues.

Sorting out insurance plans is the hardest part. Making sure it's affordable, making sure it covers what you need, ensuring that the deductible isn't so high that it makes having insurance worthless, and more.

If there is a broker you can speak with, maybe they can help you compare policies to get the best price and coverage. You may also be able to look it up online.

3. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    We have our health insurance through our office itself. I find it very useful. I have never had to buy any health insurance. Earlier I used to work in a hospital and all the medical check-ups, hospitalization were free for us. Now, in my current work place, we have out health insurance done by the company.

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Lucky you @anupamas2@anupamas2 I for one has never had a health insurance. I also happen to visit the doctors rarely.

Unless I would be needing a quite expensive surgery I don't see why I would be enrolling into one. It is also ideal for those with chronic diseases that needs life long medications and check ups.

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In my nation, the US, government health insurance is probably going to be trashed due to a right-wing majority. However, there is a debate as to whether it saved poor people's money or not. Nonetheless, the left-wing claims that the insurance would work if only it wasn't watered down? Are there any Americans on here with specific experiences with The Affordable Health Care Act? As for other forum members outside the US, how do you view government health insurance?

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As a senior citizen, with the Medicare version of Obamacare, most of my co-pays doubled for my medications, although not for doctor visits. However, it is harder to get approval for necessary tests, scans, and even treatment ; plus you have to be referred from your primary care physician to even see another doctor. It is unlikely that I would be able to even get a second opinion about a health issue because the health insurance through Obamacare would only cover the first doctor and their opinion.
    One of the things that I do like with my Medicare Advantage plan is that it covers the fitness center, so I can go there and swim and exercise as often as I want to go. We do have to pay extra to use the pool facilities; but it is well worth that to be able to swim and use the hot tub and steam room.

7. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    We are living in a polluted place. Our environment is being abused. With that kind of scenario, everyone is not assured of living a good environment, besides sickness may come when we less expect it. Getting a health insurance whether you get sick or not is a good investment for life's security. I have my own personal health insurance. I get one for my wife and also for our youngest son. I keep on paying the premium for almost more than 20 years. There was one incident that my son was hospitalized. We used his health card and we paid less for his hospital bills and medicines. At least, we worry less for that matter.

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    A large argument against government health insurance involves the fact many practice unhealthy habits. In other words, if an adult abuses their body all the time out of free choice, then why should taxpayers have to front the bill when they need to go to a clinic, and especially when they need a serious operation? However, the alternative is still very cruel and heartless. I mean, nobody's perfect. We all make mistakes regarding our health.

Note, on the subject of children I am very angry. On Michael Moore's movie Sicko, there was one scene where a poor woman explained her young daughter had to die because a hospital wanted health insurance or they wouldn't accept their specific health insurance.

9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This has probably caused me more headaches than anything else in the last year or so, but of course we all know that it is pretty necessary and just one of those things that you have to have, especially now. It is expensive though.