Health Scares With Food

Discussion in Food & Drink started by littlewitch66 • Jul 20, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Over time I have read that various foods are bad for you, can cause cancer, high cholesterol, overweight etc. and it may or may not affect my buying behaviour.

You may remember the Mad Cow disease which was supposed to be caused from infected beef which hit the UK and Bird Flu which affected poultry in Thailand and Vietnam. Then there was a scare which told us that drinking from plastic bottles could be dangerous as we were ingesting chemicals in the plastic.

Do these scares affect what you buy or do you just ignore them?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They do concern me because you just don't know how deep the issues go. These things come to light only when people are ill or die, so what of those cases that were never reported.

When BSE and salmonella were in the headlines it did put me off food, and I was more careful. Even my dad recently decided to stop eating chicken when he heard bird flu maybe returning. No one wants to get ill and the only way is to avoid those foods that have been highlighted and try to eat fresh food. Failing that beans on toast works and is a safe bet!

3. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    The targeted food of a health scare is obviously going to be much cheaper. However, obviously, it might be incredibly foolish to take a risk. Would any of you consider possibly eating targeted food for the price - maybe considering that perhaps the scare is an exaggeration?

4. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    They definitely affect me and I can't take risks in any way concerning health. I remember when we heard the news about a certain "fake" drink being sold, we got worried since we always buy that certain brand so we stopped buying it for a while just to make sure. Even though it's just an exaggeration, I still won't take the risk in buying "affected" products just to be safe.

5. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, this affects me a lot, I'm trying to avoid foods that have chemicals and a lot of E. The sad thing is that we don't have what to buy anymore, there is less organic food from what to chose from. Besides the organic food is more expensive and sometimes we cannot afford to buy it!

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to food, quality is our policy. Those so called scares may be true or not but it is better to be aware. During the rainy season, the so called red tide appears. It causes shellfish to be toxic. We avoid seafood during that period. With the foot and mouth disease of pigs, that causes us not to eat pork for a time.

7. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Health scares do affect my buying decisions. For a time, I was so scared of the Mad Cow disease and avoided consuming beef. Despite the scare, the price of beef did not falter at all. When bird flu was supposed to have hit our country, many refrained from buying poultry and it drove chicken prices down significantly. I did realize that it only affected an area in the country and not the entire poultry industry. I felt safe eating chicken in spite of the scare because I bought our supply from a large supermarket chain with its own farm.