Healthy Alternative to Chips

Discussion in Food & Drink started by olorien • Nov 16, 2012.

1. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    It's been a long time since I've eaten real chips so I don't crave them, but I do like healthy snacks. This article gives a nice selection of truly healthy alternatives to potato chips. I had tried a few of these before and can vouch for the kale chips. They are yummy!

2. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    There are plenty of alternatives to chips. I haven't had a bag of chips in years. When I want to snack on something, I get unsalted pretzels, peanuts, multi-grain crackers or even apples. I've read articles that say chips are worse for you than soda pop!

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I have never tried sweet potato chips, but I've had sweet potato french fries, and they taste waaaaaaay better than the originals. I just hate that they're usually more expensive (unless of course I make them myself in which case they strangely cost the same).

4. jayjacinto

jayjacintoMember

Threads:
    Id go with Lays', because it is so thin it is almost made of pure potatoes.

5. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I love kale chips! They are so easy to make and they really are satisfying. They taste great, too. If you like the crunch of potato chips, you won't miss that with the kale chips. They're healthy, delicious, and will keep you from eating unhealthy snacks like potato chips. Another great alternative are apple chips. Last year, I made them all season long - to the point where I had so much and got so sick of them, but they are delicious. I will probably make some more soon, since it's such a great fall/winter taste. All you do is cut the apples very thinly, sprinkle some cinnamon (if you want), and put them in the oven. They're not so crunchy, like potato chips, but the taste far outweighs that characteristic.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have never tried the kale chips, but I keep hearing about them. I just haven't gotten around to making them myself.

Some of the other alternatives, I actually prefer turning into french fry alternatives instead. For example, the carrots. Those are really good sliced like fries, coated in nut butters, and then roasted. They're very similar to fries in texture and quite delicious.

7. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    This is a cool share. Thank you. I am always looking for alternatives to regular chips. A favorite at the moment is parsnips, beets and butternut. Wow, really delicious. Also, air-popped popcorn is a nice alternative and the machine itself can be bought inexpensively.

Lastly, munching on some nuts like pistachios are good too but can work out expensive depending where you live.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I ran across an article about homemade chips in the microwave. I tried it and the chips turned out good. The family liked them also and ate them, I didn't think they would like them. You just slice the potatoes thin, soak the sliced potatoe in cold water until the water is clear, dry the chips with a paper towel, rub with olive oil and place on a paper towel on a plate in the microwave, cook 3 minutes on high, turn the chips over and cook for 3 more minutes. Hope you like them.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I read an article that stated that most Americans get most of their fat calories from potato chips. As much as I love them, I have given them up. :(

I snack on nuts, pretzels and air popped popcorn. I have heard about Kale chips, but haven't tried them. A couple of months ago, I bought some kale because it was touted as being healthy. I didn't like the taste of the texture. I ate it raw. I might like Kale chips though. Kale is thick enough to make an interesting chip.

10. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    Those are some great alternatives! I have also made kale chips and they are really tasty. I also love roasted pumpkin seeds, but making these are not practical year- round.

11. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I've been a chips lover ever since. Add to that that I was a couch potato back in high school and I would go to the grocery just buying chips for the whole week. Somehow when I was in college I was able to lessen my chips consumption as advised by my girlfriend and I never needed alternative. This article is very good though to those who can;t get over with chips.

12. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Here where I live, potato chips are not the most popular kind of chips. Fish crackers are very much more in demand. These fish crackers come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Besides fish crackers, we also have prawn crackers. There is even a new type of crackers made from tapioca. These tapioca crackers are very like potato chips. However they are still not as popular as fish crackers.

13. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Kale is pretty inexpensive, so you should definitely buy some more and try making kale chips. It is a totally different flavor and texture than raw kale (in salads) or steamed kale (like spinach). Kale's become pretty "famous" in the health/foodie world in recent years and I am sure that you'll find a recipe that works for you. I like them sprinkled with a little oil, salt, and pepper before they go into the oven. If you don't like them after that, at least you can say you tried it!

14. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I love Terra chips spicy sweet potato. I still don't consider them good for me even if they are advertised as natural. I could eat the entire bag. I don't normally keep chips in the house. It's something I'll only buy occasionally. Otherwise I'd eat them all the time.

15. Susie

SusieNew Member

Threads:
    Baked Lays chips taste pretty good and are pretty low in fat compared to the regular Lays potato chips. Another low fat option (depending on the brand) for snacking is beef jerky. Some varieties are higher in fat than others, so it is probably good to read the labels to compare them.

16. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for these tips. I was just looking for a potato chip alternative. I'm making an attempt to cut out processed foods altogether. Processed foods do the body no good.

17. jayjacinto

jayjacintoMember

Threads:
    Apple
    We don’t need to tell you apples are healthy. (What’s that old saying again? Something about a doctor?) Make them extra autumnal by sprinkling the slices with pumpkin pie spice, or your own mix of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice. We like Bare Fruit’s bake-dried chips. They’re organic with no added sugar, preservatives, or additives, and a single serving has fewer than 30 calories.

DIY: Preheat oven to 200, bake for one hour, flip, and cook for another hour.

I like this one! I will try it as soon as I get home!

18. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I have always been a huge fan of apple chips. They are SO easy to make - and you can make so many in one afternoon to hold you over to snack on for a while. I can't wait to try this recipe at home, especially with pumpkin pie spice. I never even thought to sprinkle the apples with anything other than cinnamon. But, your post is right - pumpkin pie spice will give it such a rich autumn/winter flavor and can make up for any decadent dessert, like apple pie or pumpkin pie. Thank you so much for the tip!

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Great share, thanks! I've always loved potato chips and love its alternatives equally. My favorite chip alternatives are sweet potato chips and carrot chips. Banana chips are pretty good too even if I don't really like sweets that much.

20. jayjacinto

jayjacintoMember

Threads:
    Carrot chips? Is it good?