Healthy Alternative to Chips

Discussion in Food & Drink started by olorien • Nov 16, 2012.

1. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Do you make your own banana chips? I imagine that they are as easy as apple chips, but I am not sure since I've never made them. I really like how sweet the banana is - and that crunch is great, especially since bananas aren't known to be crunchy! If you've made banana chips successfully before, would you mind sharing your recipe?

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just make my own homemade potato chips that way i get to put what i want in them and it's also cheaper.

3. jayjacinto

jayjacintoMember

Threads:
    Do you fry them? because I don't think it is healthier that way..

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had potato chips in almost a year. I usually have a small bowl of pasta inbetween brunch and dinner, so I'm not usually hungry for a snack, but when I do want one, I usually opt for peanuts. Despite how salty they taste, they are not that bad for you at all. Contain a lot of vitamin B3, E and H also. :)

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    There are quite a few alternatives that are worth trying. I personally love the kale chips and the sweet potatoe variety as well :).

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never crave for chips, so I'm not guilty of over eating on junk food. But I think peanuts, pickles, pistachios and walnuts can be a great alternative for those salty and unhealthy chips.

7. jayjacinto

jayjacintoMember

Threads:
    Where I live, banana chips are easily available. I usually buy a bag of it whenever I travel. It keeps my jaw busy during a long drive..

8. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have had kale chips but they are nothing like potato chips, are they? A closer resemblance would be the deep-fried seaweed sold at Chinese restaurants and takeaways. I roast the kale in oven with a little butter and sea salt, it's a nice crispy snack and very good for you.

9. jayjacinto

jayjacintoMember

Threads:
    hmm kale chips sound interesting..

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard of people taking cucumbers and making crinkle cut slices of them and dusting them with Morton Season-All, supposed to be pretty good too. Another person wrote that thinly sliced potatoes can be cooked in the microwave to crisp up like potato chips. Sounds interesting but from the pictures I saw they didn't look so good.

11. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    There are so many alternatives to eating chips. I would recommend trying dried bananas and strawberry because they almost look like chips but offer many nutrients which the chips don't. I would also recommend eating a few walnuts and almond every now and then because these little snacks will always fill you up even though you don't even know it.

12. Traveller

TravellerMember

Threads:
    One may try some low calorie chips, beaked chips, veggeis etc. Fruits may be a great alternative too

13. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I ration myself to one large pack of chips a week, as savoury snacks are my downfall. If I want something else, I buy prawn crackers. They're lighter and lower in fat and calories than chips, and I don't tend to eat too many. I sometimes buy roasted sunflower seeds from the market, as a snack or to top salads with. They're a healthy alternative to chips, but they're quite expensive, so it's an occasional treat.

14. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like making my own potato chips (real chips - not the American version) by par-boiling Maris Piper potatoes and roasting in the oven until golden with some duck fat or butter or tallow. It's a great post-workout meal.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm the opposite. I tried shrimp chips/puffs for the first time last year and fell in love. I have to buy them in small serving bags because if I buy a whole bag, I'll eat the whole bag. They're soooo good. <3

16. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I LOVE spicy seaweed strips. I buy them from the Korean grocery store or the international store. They are very healthy and low in fat and calories. I try to always have a bag and I eat some every day.

17. skyby7

skyby7New Member

Threads:
    I usually go with pita chips, which are baked instead of fried.

18. gloria7819

gloria7819New Member

Threads:
    Wow! There are a bunch of people on this site with amazing control! I know this is bad, but personally, my favorite alternative to chips is french fries! lol;)
    Bet no one expected that response!

19. monkeymendez

monkeymendezNew Member

Threads:
    I know that there are plenty of healthy chips out there. Myself personally can't stand them. I love my BBQ Lays or Hot Cheetos. But I do know that my girlfriend does eat them. I see her mucnhing on some vegi green colored stcik chips once in a while. Shes had me try one, but to me they taste so bland. I have to eat something with lots of flavor. If you do like chips like that though you can find them at most Whole Foods grocery stores.

20. fourmatic

fourmaticMember

Threads:
    I really like taking pita chips and dipping them in hummus. Seems like a great alternative to potato chips and dip. You just have to be careful, sometimes when trying to be healthy you eat twice as many of the healthy snack which defeats the purpose.