Healthy Crock Pot Recipes

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gavin • Mar 17, 2015.

1. Gavin

GavinMember

Threads:
    Some of the things that I've done for my family and I is try to create healthier recipes while trying to lower our grocery bill. The majority of people out there could end up spending way more than what they need for a certain amount of time.

This could be because of bad decisions or not making a list or just not making a meal plan or being prepared.

I've been getting more accustomed to using my crock pot. The idea is I can make 2 - 3 nights worth of food in 6 - 8 hours of day cooking while I'm at work.

One of the recipes I used recently was a turkey meat loaf. I'll give the basic overview here. It was good by the way. If you're not careful with turkey it can dry up and then its not so good.

Anyway, I took some aluminum foil and put it along the bottom of the crock pot. This helps with cleaning and I can make the edges come up over the side of the crock pot and it helps me get the loaf out later. Anyway, the loaf itself is:

1 - 1.25 lbs of Turkey

1/4 cup of bread crumbs

1 egg

Diced Onion

If you feel it you could add a green pepper or red pepper to this.

1/4 cup of low fat shredded cheese. I used colby jack but I'm sure a cheddar or something like that would work fine too.

Mix all of that together and make it into a loaf and put it the crock pot on low for 6 - 8 hours.

When that's done you make the glaze

2 Tbsp Ketchup
    2 tsp of Brown Sugar
    2 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce
    2 tsp of Mustard or Spicey Mustard (Your choice)

Mix that all together and glaze the top of the meat loaf. Now turn the crock pot on high for about 20 - 30 minutes.

There you go you should have 4 - 6 slices. This allows you to cheaply put together a healthy meal that's home cooked and if there's left overs, easy to warm up and turn into a sandwich.

What's your favorite crock pot meals. Toss em in!