Healthy Ways to Gain Weight?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by FirstBaby2011 • Sep 7, 2012.

1. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I lost a lot of weight while breastfeeding my daughter. Now that she is starting to taper off some and enjoying solid foods, I have gained some weight back. I would like to gain about 10 more pounds.
    Listed below are some foods that I am eating to encourage this process. Please add any healthy foods/suggestions that you feel could help me. Thanks!

-Avocado
    -Peanut butter
    -Almonds
    -Whole milk yogurt
    -Cheese sticks
    -Dinner leftovers: spaghetti, soup, burgers, chili, chicken strips, etc.
    -Cooking nearly everything in a generous amount of olive or coconut oil
    -I generally eat a meal or snack at least every two hours.

2. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've recently started trying to gain weight as well. A bikram yoga class that I started in order to regulate my depression issues had the unwanted side effect of making me lose weight. I've been paying more attention to calories with livestrong's my plate:

It will tell you exactly how many calories you need to eat in a day in order to gain (or lose) weight at whatever rate you want. It's worth it to check out, I think.

3. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    A weight gain program might seem an opportunity to eat a lot of things. Unfortunately, like weight loss in a healthy requires a balanced approach, increasing healthy weight doesn't mean junk food add to your daily diet. Some of the options that you say, I find very interesting. While eating junk food can cause weight gain, so don't treat nutritional deficiencies that result from being underweight. Furthermore, while fats, sugar and common salt in the food aren't shown as scrap additional weight can cause damage to the body. To maximize health gains, it is necessary to maintain a balanced diet. Add healthy calories is the faster alternative: nuts, cheese, seeds and whole grain products. Meats high in protein are also a viable option. You have to eat throughout the day, at least six meals a day. I believe that by following these basic guidelines you will achieve your goal soon. :D

4. cmarten

cmartenMember

Threads:
    If exercise is the cause for your excessive weight loss, and you can't eat enough to maintain a healthy body weight, maybe you should consider exercising less. I know exercise is healthy, but everything in moderation. I've known people who exercise more than an hour per day. That, to me, borders on the obsessive. I also have no idea where they find that kind of time!

Other posters have great ideas on what to eat, and you have a list of quality foods. I would suggest upping the proteins and healthy fats while still eating whole grains and plenty of vegetables.

5. FirstBaby2011

Threads:
    I actually haven't been on an exercise regimen since before I got pregnant. I am nervous to "undo" my gains by exercising. My physical exertion comes from necessary housework and a nightly, leisurely walk around the block. I *wish* that I could get back to lifting weights, but I know that I need to focus on getting my weight up before I can incorporate workouts again.

6. FirstBaby2011

Threads:
    What a double-edged sword exercise can be! Have you found an appropriate alternative to the yoga? Walking seems to help me clear my head and get me out of the house with minimal damage to my weight goal. Thank you for the link, I will definitely check it out.

7. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Walking does the opposite for me; it causes me to over think. And no, I'm still taking yoga, but the site I linked you to showed me how many calories I was burning in each class, and therefore, how many calories I need to make up through my diet in order not to lose weight. Since I've started, I can see my weight creeping back up to normal again.

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I belong to another forum where some of the members go in for bodybuilding, and when they want to bulk up, they add protein shakes to their food. Proteing helps build up muscle mass, so eating more lean meat and dairy should help you to gain, and add in a protein shake or two to help. You don't want to gain fat, so don't go for too many extra carbs.

9. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    Want to gain weight? Take a nap about an hour after you eat, weight gain starts. Cheers.

10. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Well bread is really the key to gaining weight, but for it to be effective just eat after 12:00AM. This allows your body to store excess fat, but not so much that it can't be worked off. I don't think there is a specific food that does weight gain, but anything with bread should make it easy for you to gain weight. Sandwiches are a great snack they're healthy, and they will help you to put on some pounds. Of course you need to still exercise to cut back on any excess weight gain you may have, and overall it's not what you eat, but it's a matter of when you eat it.

11. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Eating lots of bread will help you gain weight, for sure, but I'm not certain that's the healthiest way to do it. Eating lots of bread will probably just make you fat.

12. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    If you read my entire post I stated with exercise it would be fine. Bread is a filling food, so you don't need much before you start to fill full. It really depends on the person because some people can eat anything and not gain weight.

13. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried nutritional drinks that help you gain weight, such as Boost? You can save $2 when you purchase Boost if you

. Other than that, eating foods containing healthy fats, such as avocados will also help you gain weight the right way.

14. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I did read the whole post. :p

Even so, I'd think that eating lots of protein with exercise would be better for building muscle mass than eating lots of bread with exercise.

15. Olin

OlinNew Member

Threads:
    Hi FirstBaby,
    To gain weight add milk, yogurt, meat, eggs, fish, banana, mango, potato, cheese and rice more in your meal plans. Increase your caloric intake and consume more proteins. Increase the number of meals, take supplements and lift weights.

16. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I think the most healthy way to gain weight is a complete and balance diet. I don;t know really what are the foods that we should eat but I think that it should be more protein, less carbs and fats and also should be more fiber. Couple that with exercise so that the weight you gain is trough muscles and not fat.