Heating the milk

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Peninha • Jul 16, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a microwave fan, so I still heat up my milk in a tin cup. I also hate when the milk heats up too much, I need to mix it, I get my tongue burned and so on, so I just control the temperature with my (washed) finger. :)

How do you usually heat up your milk? Do you also control the temperature or you just let it boil?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oh I definitely don't boil it! I don't want to scald the milk.

That being said, I very rarely have to heat up milk. I only do it for a couple recipes that I make maybe a couple times a year.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My kids drink milk in the morning, so I heat the milk every single morning. As they are still small I know the exact temperature in which they drink it lol, not too cold, not too hot, these small things a parent just know. So to measure that I put my finger inside for the little demons drink it after some minutes. If I don't get it spot on I head a lot of complaints. :)

4. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I don't boil it, I feel like it gives it a weird texture. I use to just warm it in the microwave and then I stopped using it trying to be healthier. So I just heat it in a pan. I do the same as you though. I put the temperature on low and check it with my finger. I only do this if I am making candies or something or in the winter when I make hot chocolate.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, on top of that if we do boil it that cream appears on the top and kids hate them. Me personally, I like it, but it's too hot and I can't drink it like that and I need to wait for a few minutes. In the morning when I am getting ready for work and preparing kids for school every single minute is precious, so optimizing the milk procedure is something really time saving.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Ah yes, it does make sense to heat milk for babies usually. I don't know kids that would still drink it that way, but I know in other areas, it's not uncommon.

In those cases, I actually just microwave it instead of putting it in a pan on the stove. The microwave does it in about 35-45 seconds and doesn't get it too hot.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, microwave is really convenient, I had it for a couple of years, but finally gave it away for a matter of principle. I don't know if it would really hurt me or my family, but the theory behind the microwave is scary enough, so we do it the old fashioned way, but healthier I believe.

8. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    Microwaves are totally fine, and won't damage your health. You're getting more radiation from just breathing or drinking water than you are really getting from ingesting anything that has been microwaved.

Anyway, due to the nature of my work, we have babies and children who still need warm milk, so while some of us do act as wet nurses-or just use breast pumps which are fine too-for the ones who are still young enough to need breast milk/formulae, when it comes to times when none of our staff are currently mothers, or obviously for older children who just want...well, warm milk we use the mass bottle heater we have. You can pick this sort of thing up at any decent maternity shop. Although obviously you're heating bottles, rather than cups or anything. You can always just pour it out into a cup though like we do. It's just so easy to heat fifty bottles at once, rather than try and use a big pot, you know?

9. rubydust

rubydustNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer to heat milk in a jug in the microwave. I just have to make sure that I stand next to it and watch that it doesn't spill over and make a mess! I don't like using a pan on the hob, because I have a habit of heating it too quickly, and end up having to scrub the burnt milk off the bottom of the pan afterwards.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ha, I like the way how you emphasised your "washed" finger. :)
    I only ever warm up soy mil for my coffee in the afternoon. I put it into a porcelain pot and gently heat it until it stars bubbling. Then I pour it through a strainer as I don't like the skin. I have never possessed a microwave in my life, and never will. Also I don't like to use kettles unless they are made of stainless steel.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never heat my milk, I dislike drinking hot beverages anyway, so when I buy milk I store the carton in the ref. I don't like fresh milk by the way, when I buy one it's chocolate milk, at least it's sweet. Fresh milk just tastes really bland to me.

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I didn't want you guys to think I just put the unwashed finger in the milk my kids are about to drink haha. :p

So you are a soy milk drinker, when have you started? I tried soy milk when I was more or less 20 and I hated it, so I can't drink it. Now that you mention it I never tried to heat it, but I imagine the flavor is pretty much the same no?

13. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I heat up milk I just put it into the cup and heat it all up in the microwave.
    It might not be the healthiest but it's very convenient and time-saving. Plus, it saves me on having another thing to put in the dishwashing machine...

14. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is true, but I got rid of mine for health reasons or at least ideological ones. :) I do agree it's time saving and more convenient, but is it still milk what you are drinking? Do you know that the heat is generated because the molecules agitate really fast so the whole molecule chains are destroyed.

15. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't usually heat up milk before drinking it. I enjoy a nice cold glass of milk, but if it is a chilly day, then I will warm it up a bit in the microwave. The only time I heat up milk on the stove is if I am making hot chocolate.

16. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love cold milk too, especially in the summer. Last month I spend a couple of days in an apartment that had a microwave, the first thing I did was to put it aside to make more room in the kitchen, I never get to use it. I heated the milk as usual. :)