Help: Roaches

Discussion in Home & Garden started by largecow • Apr 30, 2014.

1. largecow

largecowMember

Threads:
    Hey guys,

I live in an apartment complex. It's pretty old and we are on the top floor. When we moved, I didn't notice any cockroaches for Spring and Summer. When winter passed, I noticed them. They're mostly in the kitchen and I know that our kitchen is adjacent to the kitchen of the other apartment unit to our right.

How do I get rid of this? I am extremely clean. Trash out of The House every night, dishes washed, and tables and countertops wiped. Help, help, help!!

2. Adrean J

Adrean JNew Member

Threads:
    I completely understand your pain and had this problem when I first moved into my apartment. The roaches seemed to be mostly in the kitchen and no matter how much bug spray I used and how clean I was, they would still appear. Apartments are very difficult to keep roaches out of, due to neighbors, so I felt defeated. Then, I had a friend tell me about using boric acid, which worked wonders. I haven't seen any roaches in years! The trick is to mix the acid with sugar, in order to attract the roaches. They will most likely not eat the acid if there is no sugar in it, so this is a very important step. Hope this works out for you!

3. largecow

largecowMember

Threads:
    I've heard of this. Is it similar to BORAX? Where do I buy this? Please, please, please respond!!! Thank you! :)

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm having a similar problem. In the last two weeks I noticed that roaches reappeared in the kitchen. Everything is clean, no dirty dishes or exposed trash, yet they still love my flat. I'm thinking they crawl on the pipes under my sink (I live at the fifth floor) so maybe it's a good idea to find a way to properly seal all the surfaces. One method to get rid of them, that I keep hearing about, is using silica dust. You put it in the spaces they crawl around and it gets under their wings until they dry up and die.

5. largecow

largecowMember

Threads:
    Ive noticed that caulking up the crevices will help a great deal too! Where should I buy the silica dust? Is that avaiable in Target, Walmart?

6. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I lived in an apartment with a bad roach problem in the kitchen. We bought this gel. (I wish I could remember the name...they sell it with all the other bug killing spray stuff. I think Raid makes it. It comes in a tube.) You put the gel all around the crevices and cracks in your kitchen. The roaches eat it and then go off to die. If you notice the gel is disappearing in certain spots, then you know where they're coming from. Yes, boric acid does work as well. Also be sure to not leave standing water or food in your sink.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My parents had this last year and it was very complicated because most likely the problem isn't at your place, but in the whole building, so the whole building needs to be cleaned and that is a big expense...

8. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I absolutely hate roaches. It seems like no matter what you do, they just can't seem to go away. We have a couple that come out every now and then. Therefore, we just blast them with raid. If you have a roach problem, the best thing to do is to have someone come in and spray your apartment.

9. Plinko

PlinkoMember

Threads:
    I love boric acid! I think it is very effective against roaches and other creepy things. It's a powder and comes in a dispenser bottle with a pointy tip. You can put down a solid line of it and also "poof" some of the powder into cracks and crevices. You can also put it in around the inside perimeter of your cabinets without having to worry about fumes building up in your cabinets. I just did a quick check and found that it's at Home Depot for about five dollars, so I imagine it's similarly priced at other home improvement stores. I also checked Amazon and it's priced a bit more there. Still and all, I'd gladly pay whatever it cost if I had roaches I had to deal with.