Help With Allergy-friendly Sauces?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Oct 24, 2015.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    My friend is throwing a party at Christmas for a lot of people, and among those people there are a lot of foods they can't eat. We've been trying to come up with some dipping sauces that can be used at the party so I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has any ideas that we've missed.

The allergies they have include: peanuts, dairy (including egg), soya, tomatoes, mushrooms, wheat, celery, mustard.

So far, we're thinking Apple sauce, cranberry sauce, mango chutney, chili sauce, onion relish, guacamole, hummus, and coconut milk or cream (and a chocolate version).

Does anyone have any ideas for anything else we can look into?

2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Here are two resources you may like to look at:

These sites cover common food allergies and have recipes based on them, besides tips and useful information. The first also includes a holiday section, but actual suggestions are pointing to Thanksgiving that comes first, and probably after this will come some Christmas ideas, and the last in the list is a specialized magazine.

I would also plan the party more likely with a buffet setting in mind because this way it will easier for each attendant go straight to the area where allergy-specific dishes may be set ;)

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Those are some peculiar allergies, I've never heard of anyone being allergic to things like tomatoes or celery, or even mustard. Are some of these just things that certain people just don't like the taste of rather than being allergic to them?

Dairy is relatively easy to find alternatives for which would work reasonably well. There are nut and rice based milks for example, which can be swapped out for regular milk. Margarines and other vegan butter alternatives, such as Smart Balance, can typically be used in place of real butter. You can use stuff like instant potato flakes or corn starch as binders in some recipes which call for eggs. Vegan mayo is also a fantastic substitute for real mayo, and most people probably wouldn't even notice the difference. There are also plenty of vegan "cheese" products out there too, which you can swap out regular cheese for.

I wasn't sure if you were thinking sauces for dipping stuff in, or sauces for stuff like pasta, but you can also make a great sauce out of roasted red peppers, which would work in both situations. White beans can be pureed and used as a base for a dip or sauce, as can fresh corn (be sure to scrape all the great juice from the cobs as well). A pesto (sans cheese) or a chimichurri sauce may work too.

4. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you both for the suggestions!

I'll take a look at the recipes and tips on those sites, I'm sure I'll be able to find some useful things in them all! And I think a buffet style party would work well so that we can keep the foods nicely separated out! Thanks for that suggestion!

They are actual allergies. The one that's allergic to tomatoes could die if they had tomato, the allergy is that serious. Usually people allergic to tomato are also allergic to potato, or so I've been told, yet they've always been okay with potato. The dairy allergy isn't such an issue for me with finding sauces as I can't have dairy myself but coupled with all the other allergies and I'm a bit stumped :confused: Most of the things I usually have myself are then not usable. I like your suggestions though! I think the roasted red peppers could make a good hummus with the chick peas too! And the white beans, pureed, could make a great base to add garlic and herbs too for example. A basil pesto could be great, and I'll look into the chimichurri too! I'll have to experiment with these ideas! Thanks!