Helping Seniors

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by Pat • Jun 11, 2012.

1. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just met a ladies that has set-up a non-profit to help se more in our have food. Some seniors have to choose between food or medicine.

She has made connections to provide food to some of the deserving seniors. She has asked people to adopt a senior to help her cause. If we can adopt a road we can adopt a senior.

2. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    That's a lovely thing to do, especially in areas without a Meals on Wheels. I would encourage anyone who can to volunteer with Meals on Wheels or similar organizations. Sometimes they're providing the only nutritious meal a senior eats all day and the only friendly face they see. It's only for homebound people though, so food banks and other charities are also good to volunteer for. I love that your friend is doing it on her own. The more people who help others, the better off the world is.

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I was just having a conversation the other day with a friend...how the senior population just seems to be forgotten by so many but just a couple of decades ago they were the primary economy developers, tax payers etc - keeping the wheel turning. Then when they can no longer, society just seems to forget them, I found that very saddening.

BUT

There are good people out there. I, however, try to do what I can when I can and however I can. There are many doing much more. Yes, Meals On Wheels are an awesome organization and I have seen first hand what they can do. We need more start-ups like these and programs in order to empower our senior population.

One day, if/when we grow old...it will be us.

4. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Here in Miami people don't have any respect for the elderly. They don't wait for them while crossing streets, they look at them with stink eyes and say rude things to them when they are taking longer than others to pay at registers or to order food at drive thrus, they completely disregard their opinions and wishes. Its honestly very upsetting and sad - no one here cares about the elderly and really if we are all lucky enough to have a healthy life we will all eventually get there and it sucks to know that if you live here no one will care about you. I think that program is great and I couldn't agree more - if we can adopt a highway we can adopt the elderly. Just think of how you would feel if when you were older and weren't quick like the others, able like the others, or perhaps even mentally capable like the others and everyone else threw you to the side like a strange being how that would make you feel and tell me you wouldn't want some one to help you when you got there???

HOORAH FOR THE ELDERLY!!!! If it weren't for them none of us would be here so lets lend a helping hand:D

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you all for your kind thoughts on the condition of seniors. It is amazing how the younger generation does not realize that the will soon be the older generation. It is amazing to see more and more seniors returning to work because prices have gone up so much they are running out of money.