Hgtv Dream Home 2015 Giveaway

Discussion in Contests & Sweepstakes started by steph7h • Jan 25, 2015.

1. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    Every year around the first of the year, I look forward to HGTV's Dream Home Giveaway. I know my chances of winning are low, but it's such a life-changing prize, why not give it a shot? Plus they have a cash option if you win, so you do not even have to worry about the responsibility of moving or paying taxes on the home, etc.

This year's home is located on Martha's Vineyard. You can enter twice a day, once at

, and once at

. The contest is open through February 17, 2015 at 5 p.m. ET. It's fun to dream!

2. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    LOL I so want to win this! I enter every year, go there faithfully for awhile, and then forget about it. I suppose I will go through the same ritual again this year. Hopefully one of us will win it this year.

3. Lexus1

Lexus1New Member

Threads:
    I have entered this contest every year for wow, a long time now! It would be awesome to win. I agree, if you don't enter contests like these, you surely are not going to win and it is worth a shot at winning. I have not even seen who won this year for I believe it is over at this point. I will enter again next year....maybe it will be my year to win!

4. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I entered this year, and over the years have entered sporadically. I would love to win a nice dream-home, preferably in an area where I really want to live so that I can stay in that wonderful home and not just take a cash equivalent.

5. Lexus1

Lexus1New Member

Threads:
    I was going to go look to see who the winner was this year but haven't as of yet. Yes, it certainly would be awesome to win but winning something that big is a huge responsibility. How many people that have won this contest still own the home? I wonder...it costs a lot of money to manage a home of this size and sure the first year might be easy because of the cash you win but if you don't invest that cash to make more cash you could be in trouble. Is it just an added stress to ones life? It is cool, don't get me wrong, I would be one happy person if I had someone come knock on my door and say that I won!

6. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, this is a sweepstakes I also enter every year. But I have come to realize that they call these dream homes for a reason. I have actually looked into it out of curousity to see who was sitll living in the house after they won it. Turns out that none of the previous winners still live in the house. Some opted to take the cash prize instead of the house, others lived in the home for awhile but then decided they were better off selling the house to make the money from it. So, it really is a dream to think that an average working class person can live in one of these.

7. Lexus1

Lexus1New Member

Threads:
    That doesn't surprise me that most who have won do not have the home anymore. I think that I would have to sell it myself if I ever won. To me, why not do something more realistic. Put together a prize package that the ordinary every day person could maintain. Those huge houses are beautiful but you have to be a millionaire when winning it to keep it! Why not tone it down some and become more realistic...wouldn't that be better? I would be just as happy to win a quaint little home that was decked out in the best of everything. Just my opinion....

8. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    I think they assume most people who win would not actually live in the home, which is why they don't require you to take possession of the home. This year's cash option for the winner is $1,450,000, in addition to the $250,000 cash and the GMC prize you win. That's still a lot of money that you can use to buy a dream home of your choosing, even on a smaller scale, and closer to where you want to live if the dream home location isn't your ideal location. Or it could fulfill a different dream you have, whether that's starting a business, paying off debt, going back to school, etc. Either way, it can change your life if you take the cash instead of the home. Just remember to save some back to pay the IRS on taxes=)