High Shipping Costs

Discussion in Shipping Services started by AngiePutz • May 24, 2012.

1. AngiePutz

AngiePutzNew Member

Threads:
    Have you ever wanted to order something online because your local store didn't have in stock or didn't even carry it in the store? But after you go through all the time of finding the items that you want, and placing them in your cart, you are charged with shipping that is extremely high. I have found that Target has the highest shipping costs that I have experienced. Worst of all is if you return the items to the store, they make you pay for shipping if you were eligible for their free shipping promotion. One of the nice things is if you order from like Wal-Mart, most of the time you can get it shipped to your local store for free. I understand why stores need to have their shipping costs, but some stores are just to outrageous. Another nice shipping option is at Kohl's Department Store. If you order in store from their kiosk, its free shipping for you. You might have to pay a small surcharge if it is a larger, heavier item, but you still don't get nailed with an outrageous shipping fee.

2. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    It's tough living in Canada and getting items shipped. For example I wanted a couple of special little beer coolers and the shipping was more than what the items were worth. Same as I was building my sports room in my basement. Ebay has changed their shipping as well and not for the better. A few sellers are saying not to pay the bill right away and let them calculate a real shipping cost as ebay is using some sort of default calculation.

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Yup, definitely been there. There are stores who have amazingly good prices but, once you try to checkout, BOOM, there goes the good price. It's happened to me with sites that charge different shipping prices according to how much your package weighs. They once wanted to charge me $50 for shipping a jacket, from China!

4. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I have experienced high shipping charges also. You try everything to avoid these costs, but most websites slap you hard with shipping charges. Sometimes I think it would be easier to just buy the items from the store. That way you can have it the same day instead of waiting. The costs for shipping are only going to get higher, but when will they stop? I can't afford to pay these ridiculously high charges much longer. If customers stopped buying products online, maybe they will lower their shipping prices.

5. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Shipping tends to be really expensive whenever I order stuff from Japan. Most of the time, a $10 CD single suddenly costs the same to have it shipped, doubling the price. But, that's the price I pay for... my obsessions.

6. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    I think it all evens out when you think of how much it would cost you to get for more in the store plus how much it would cost you to go to the store and back. I do like Walmart's free store shipping program though. I actually do feel like I'm saving, which is probably what they want me to think!

7. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Now and then but there's plenty of other alternatives that charge zero for shipping costs and even though they can sometimes take a little longer to be delivered, it's well worth the wait.

8. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    Online retailers are usually cheaper right? That is until you hit the shipping costs! It kills me. Especially living in Canada.

So I limit myself to making online purchases that offer free shipping or shipping to the local store. Most of my favourite online stores: Sephora, MEC, PetCo, Chapters, Amazon, etc. offer free shipping over a certain dollar amount. It takes a little bit longer. But it is worth it for the savings. Shipping is free or I go home!

9. Susan56

Susan56New Member

Threads:
    I have found that Walmart has the best shipping options. Even if you don't use the free ship to the store pick up, many items are shipped at only $.97. Amazon is great if you subscribe to Prime. All the shipping is free and there is automatic 2 day shipping

10. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    LOL, I hear ya. Same thing happened to me. There was this one only item on eBay that was perfect, had a reasonable price, a great seller but... the only shipping method was EMS from the USPS, which costs around $40 and also had high chances of being held by customs when it arrives to the destination country.

But, I had to had it!

11. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it happens to me all the time, because most of the websites are from USA and Asia. But it happened even with websites from Europe. And my country is a member of EU for 5 years now, so I don't get it. I like it most when I want to buy something at prices like 30$ and they charge 29.99 for shipping :)

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess that's one of the concerns of an online buyer when you really want an item so bad but the shipping cost is quite high. When I see an item that I like but the shipping fee is quite expensive, then I just drop it because the shipping fee is more expensive than the item itself. I see a lot of those on Ebay.

13. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    Shipping costs are ridiculously high. I do my shopping online, primarily, so it's frustrating when I find a really great priced item with a super high shipping cost. I've found so many great deals on things I want on Australian websites, but they have the highest shipping prices I've seen to the US. A lot of the times the shipping prices are so high because companies will add their own fee to the shipping, but I've had to ship things out where the shipping was higher than the item price. The prices need to be lowered though, they are wayyy too high.

14. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    As much as possible, i only order stuffs within the UK..this would save me lots on shipping fees. It's very rarely that i order things from other countries unless it's non existent here.

15. shane002

shane002Banned

Threads:
    I often see blogs where a customer must have been a newbie bid and won an auction, only to refuse to pay when they saw the shipping costs.

16. MrsR

MrsRMember

Threads:
    I agree and it makes me mad too when the shipping costs are outrageous. Usually before I buy something online I will try to look up the shipping costs before I spend the time looking around and placing an order. I know that sometimes you can't do that until everything is totaled in the cart, but if the shipping is too high, I'll just find another place to buy it. I also try to find shipping discounts or coupon codes before purchasing anything online.

We ordered some things from Walmart.com a few weeks ago and the shipping was free and it was delivered to our house. There was one heavier item that we were going to buy, but they were going to add $5 shipping so we didn't get that item.

17. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    Shipping costs are annoying.
    Sometimes they cost a lot, and I change my mind about the item I wanted to buy originally.
    There are some programs that gets rid of them, fortunately like Amazon Prime.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the item for me. Some things I buy are still cheaper online with the added shipping than it would be if I went out and bought it locally. I'm all for supporting my own community.. and my country for that matter, but Canada is near impossible to get a lot of the stuff I want. It's when I buy over a certain amount and brokerage gets added to it making it well over it's worth. God I hate brokerage.

19. Carlalexander

CarlalexanderMember

Threads:
    that is usually really annoying lol, especially when you have taken your time to go through different sellers and when you are finally about to check out, you realize that the shipping cost is twice as expensive as the product you are buying. :mad:

20. Kathy1112

Kathy1112New Member

Threads:
    I've done that too. Got all the way to check out and the cost of shipping was way more than the product I was trying to buy. My neighbor bought a rug for a dollar one time. Great right? Not great. Shipping cost her $299.00. People would probably buy more online if it weren't for the high cost of shipping.