Hiring A Real Dog Trainer

Discussion in Pets started by Corzhens • Mar 14, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The services of a dog trainer is real expensive so when someone recommended this cheap dog trainer, we had 2 of our dogs enrolled under his care. The session was for 1 hour for each dog, 3 times a week that went on for 3 months. And although the fee is cheaper than the usual amount that trainers charge, the cost is almost the same since the length of training is very long - 1 hour session for 3 times a week, 3 months totals 12 hours.

And the result was unsatisfactory because our 2 puppies didn't learn much except for "sit" and "roll over."

2. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    I don't think that I would ever spend my money on a personal dog trainer. There are plenty of puppy and general dog obedience schools around the place where I live. They have very professional trainers there. But the thing is that the fees are reasonable as you will be attending those training classes with other people and their dogs. Also, you do most of the work in those classes. The trainer only demonstrates. It's the way it should be.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's possible to learn a few things about dog training online. There are lots of

and vids on youtube . . .

Sure it may not be as easy as it might appear in the videos or tutorials but everything takes some practice to perfect. Be patient, keep doing it and you won't have to pay anyone for dog training.

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that if you take a look online, you should be able to find plenty of information about dog training, and be able to put some steps into place yourself. If you are not able to do this, then a general class from your local area should provide what you need, without having to actually hire the services of a one to one trainer - which will obviously be a lot higher than you might like. So yes I think that dog trainers are simply a waste of money, because the majority of people just don't need them at all.

5. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with everyone else about learning to train your own dog. I used to have a book that covered basic dog training, and it worked very well. I think that it helps when you are training your own dogs to respond to you, rather than to the trainer, because it is to you they need to learn to listen to and to mind.
    I think that the specialized trainers like you see on television might be great for problem animals that need more than just basic training, and they have developed some kind of a dangerous habit; but to just teach the basic commands, you should be able to do that easily.
    You are also spending time with your dog, which is one of the best bonding times that you can have together, so that is another plus with training them yourself.
    I have also gone to the classes where there is a trainer, and he instructs every one what to do, and each person works with their own dog ; but the trainer is there to give expert advice.

6. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    All dog owners have that potential as well as that possibility. All owners have the potential to make that choice and take that path. Unfortunately, not all of us are at that point. Those who are ready, are ready: when the student is ready, the teacher appears. It’s all good.

Dog owners who are great dog leaders are also better, calmer, more loving, more aware, more self-aware, and more in-the-moment than others. It’s where they’re at. That’s the path they’ve chosen.

7. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    My first boxer Tao went to agility classes. It wasn't so expensive and he used to really enjoy it. They first gave two lessons, one for puppies or beginners, and one for more advanced and older dogs and then the agility class would start.

It was only once a week and the rest of the week was a twenty minute daily practice at home. There are lots of youtube videos and websites to watch to get effective training ideas. If you are finding classes expensive, watch some videos and apply them daily at home.

Just do a ten minute training session with lots of rewards. I cut up cheese into little cubes and start with the basics like sit and stay, come, retrieve a toy and then move on to more advanced stuff. Basic walking as well with the treats in your hands every few paces helps to get a dog walking beside you on the lead.

It's also best to train one dog at a time. A happy dog, is a trained dog, they just love to please the alpha and I just love being the alpha!

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Kind of makes me wonder what the rates are for something like this. I am sure they vary quite a bit, and I am also sure that there are some crazy high prices out there.