Hitting the desktop

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Gelsemium • Sep 18, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I work at a school and sometimes I need to give support to the computers because they aren't starting. This usually means the desktop needs to be taken for repair, but there is something quicker, let's call it a quick-fix, just hit it hard with the hand on the side, the dust inside comes off and it starts running again. :)

Any similar quick-fixes you want to share?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mom is the best at slamming and hitting computers and TVs until they work! Of course some times she finishes ruining them! I always try to restart the computer. It doesn't always work, but in might help with a lot. If it's really slow and freezing a lot, a good suggestion is also to get some free space on it. This is what I did on my phone a couple of days ago because it was restarting for no reason and I got some storage space available, now it's okay.

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know how many times you have tried this, but I would not advise doing it too many times, you'll eventually dislodge something inside it! I did this once and the screen went black, would have cost me more to fix it than simply buy a new one.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to do this for my old CRT monitor and it worked for a long time for some reason. The only downside was that eventually it of case stopped working completely, but I at least was able to squeeze out a few more months out of the lifespan of my old monitor. I only really hit it because I knew I would be throwing it out soon anyway, but I'd never do it for something that I planned on keeping rand for longer.

5. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend picking up a cheap can of compressed air and taking the side off of your PC and doing a quick cleanup rather than whacking them. As DrRipley can attest to, whacking something isn't a fix. Eventually you're going to break a component and it'll stop working entirely. It's also possible that it was simply a connection slightly dislodged and your hits would cause the connection to be made. If that's the case there is also a fire danger to keep in mind due to a possible short.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never tried doing that, but I am wondering what is the scientific explanation for that? How come hitting a machine can make it work just just by hitting it? As for me, when the pc malfunctions, (I hear beeping when I turn it on) I just clean the RAM with an eraser and it will now work fine.

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Hahahaha. I thought I was the only one doing this handy yet very "loud" technique! I don't do it with the computer though. My brother's TV is broken - the screen is split in half. So, to make the screen whole again, we hit it several times. Our hands hurt by the time we make it work! I can swear it is very effective though!

8. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Nothing similar to share :eek: I'd rather spend some time opening the case and checking for issues than using this quick fix and risking hardware damage. Buying a new PC or parts is not exactly cheap so I'm quite gentle when interacting with my computer. Then again, if the computers are school property and not yours, I can see how fixing them like this is considered an option.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My laptop has developed some problems a few months ago. If I rest it on my knees, or it is unbalanced in some other way, lines appear on my screen. I had the computer checked out by a professional, who gave it a thorough clean and applied thermal paste, but the lines are still there, although with a somewhat decreased frequency. So, I regularly tap my screen to get rid of the lines. But, I admit, from time to time, I just feel like knocking it hard, but I restrain myself, as I really can't afford another laptop just now.

10. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    This is how The Fonz fixes computers, FYI. ;)

[video=youtube_share;wP1cZ3rbkRg]http://youtu.be/wP1cZ3rbkRg[/video]

11. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I sure would love to be able to snap my fingers and have everything magically fixed! Would save me so much time at work.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I grew up reading comic books where the characters hit stuff to make it work and I thought that was fiction, but in fact it's not, some things to work if we hit them. Of course there is a logical explanation for this haha. I've done the same with a specific brand of projectors, it seems a part gets glued and needs a hit to get back to normal.

13. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Yep this. Hitting the PC only hurts the computer in the long run as it can break the components on the inside making them entirely unusable in the future. That ends up being a huge waste of money when all you need to do is dust out the computer to make it function properly again. You also can try just running a CPU cleanup to clean the hardrive, which should help improve performance of the computer.

I think most people would rather pay $10-$15 for a can of compressed air rather than buy an entirely new computer!

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, that can happen, but there is an alternative that takes longer, just open up the computer and clean it up with a compressor. Again, what would you prefer, to do this (considering you have the compressor) or just hit it? :) I know that it's not ideal, but it's a great quick-fix. ;)

15. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Lol! I used to do this but with our old television. You know, the one that was bulky. I would hit it until the pictures would show up. I'm pretty sure hitting wasn't the best fix, but hey it always seemed to work!

16. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Ah the good old hit-fix, a classic of television repair, it's nice to hear that it evolved in computer repair :)
    I used to do that a lot when I was younger, but I stopped when I got an LCD screen :)
    Another good fix is blowing the inside of the NES cartridges, but most people know that one as well.

17. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    Although we might be tempted to do so, this is very bad for the computer in the long run. I advise you to maybe do this once or twice, but make sure not to get into the habit of doing so. You'll likely upset a connection (which may not be always reversible) and you'll have to deal with the consequences. If you don't have computer know-how or otherwise, you might run into some big trouble and have to spend some big bucks.

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    We just need to know where to hit! :D There are some projectors that also need to be hit (but I mean a really hard hit) to start working again, it seems nonsense, but it's a fact, it seems that some piece inside kind of "glue" and the hit sets them loose again.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people have said that if you get a random "hot pixel" on your computer screen (LCD) that you can sometimes repair it by massaging it a bit. But I suppose this only works on the matte screens that are soft and pliable, not the glossy hard screens that are more common on the market these days. Hitting the monitor used to work for me too back in the days of old CRT monitors, but I would never do that to a computer and its hard drive.

In fact, I lost all my data off of two of my external hard drives after I moved a couple years ago. Apparently the shaking from the moving caused them all to stop working beyond repair.

20. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    No similar tricks up my sleeve, I'm afraid- but my mom is great at hitting things into submission, lol. TV's, computers, you name it. I'd be too afraid I'd just break something and then I'd be even more frustrated- my go to trick is restarting it, nothing fancy but you'd be surprised how often it helps.